fccs’s Zmey Gorynych 2nd place county fair 2022

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

fccs

fccs’s Zmey Gorynych 2nd place county fair 2022

Post by fccs »

I’ve been drooling over this for a long time and finally caved and bought it. I’m glad I did because not only is the design wonderful, but the kit is as well.

I started last night.
Last edited by fccs on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Re: fccs’s Zmey Gorynych March 2021

Post by Squirrel »

WOW I am surprised you managed to hold off buying it at all. It is most unusual and highly colourful too. A really good start Debby :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Wow! That is one Impressive design! I can see why you bought it....What kept you waiting so long??!!! :shock:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

What a magical design! Is it folklore related, I wonder? Have fun stitching it.

Just been to their website... oh, dear. Oh, dear Oh, dear Oh, dear. :lol: :thinks: (The exchange rate makes it temptingly inexpensive...)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I absolutely love it and also wonder why it took a long time to decide to get it. Am so looking forward to your progress. I think I am going to avoid looking at the website because it sounds like it is very hard to not succumb to temptation.
Great start!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Zmey Gorynysh is a hero of Russian folklore. Unlike their emblem, which is a double-headed eagle, Zmey Gorynych, a classical mutant, may be of 3, 6, 9, 12 or even 21 heads.
Zmei Gorynych (Word for word translation: a burning snake, a snake burning everything around) has decidedly dragon-like characteristics), spitting fire, and being associated with a body of water.
If I were a designer I would make a cross stitch chart of a 21 headed Zmey Gorynych. :D
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thank you, Lyudmila. We over here don't know much about Russian (or Ukrainian) folklore, except perhaps Baba Yaga. Which is a pity. You can learn a great deal about a culture from its folklore.

@Wendy: These made me laugh out loud: https://owlforest.ru/en/24/ but I do like the all owl one. I'd do it for my MIL, if she were still with us. (Alas not.) And these! :lol: https://owlforest.ru/en/koty-i-sovy-dedy-morozy-1/

These are lovely, too: https://owlforest.ru/en/674/ and this (which is only a kit) https://owlforest.ru/en/nabor-dlya-vysh ... perboreya/

Love the way they've used a selection of motifs -- not unlike Quaker motifs -- and their use of colour.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Ukraine is NOT Russia. So our fairy tales are absolutely different. In theirs the main hero is Ivan Durak(Ivan the Fool) or Yemelya - the main idea is always doing nothing yet having things done and becoming rich.
In our Ukrainian folk tales the hero has to work hard to achieve what he wants.
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Lyudmila, I wasn't equating Russian and Ukrainian folklore. I'm sorry if the use of parentheses made that unclear. English, Welsh, Scottish and even Irish (!) folklore is almost always bundled together under the rubric of British, and the reaction is much the same.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Serinde, you know that a foreigner remains a foreigner, so please, forgive my misunderstanding.
Lyudmila
fccs

Post by fccs »

Podolyanka wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:27 pm Zmey Gorynysh is a hero of Russian folklore. Unlike their emblem, which is a double-headed eagle, Zmey Gorynych, a classical mutant, may be of 3, 6, 9, 12 or even 21 heads.
Zmei Gorynych (Word for word translation: a burning snake, a snake burning everything around) has decidedly dragon-like characteristics), spitting fire, and being associated with a body of water.
If I were a designer I would make a cross stitch chart of a 21 headed Zmey Gorynych. :D
I’m a huge fan of folktales and folklore, and I have a book of Russian folk tales. I’m going have to see if this Zmey Gorynych creature is in any of the stories. I love all things Russian and was impressed that I waited as long as I did to buy this.
Podolyanka wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:33 pm Ukraine is NOT Russia. So our fairy tales are absolutely different. In theirs the main hero is Ivan Durak(Ivan the Fool) or Yemelya - the main idea is always doing nothing yet having things done and becoming rich.
In our Ukrainian folk tales the hero has to work hard to achieve what he wants.
That’s interesting. Now I’m going to search for a book of Ukrainian folktales.
Serinde wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:48 pm What a magical design! Is it folklore related, I wonder? Have fun stitching it.

Just been to their website... oh, dear. Oh, dear Oh, dear Oh, dear. :lol: :thinks: (The exchange rate makes it temptingly inexpensive...)
The exchange rate definitely worked to my benefit, and I will say the kit is amazing. The linen is high quality, as are the fibers, and each color is already threaded onto its own little card with the symbol printed on it. Oh, and it comes with a needle minder. They shipped it quickly, and it surprisingly was delivered quickly. I will definitely purchase from them again.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Podolyanka wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:22 pm Serinde, you know that a foreigner remains a foreigner, so please, forgive my misunderstanding.
Oh, heavens, don't worry Lyudmila! I used to make the most awful howlers when I first came to the UK from the States, despite being a native English speaker. Churchill allegedly said that Britain and America were two peoples divided by a common language! :doh: :lol: Your command of English is stunning.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I used to make the most awful faux pas in France! :doh:
I gave my French neighbours some jam that I had made and told them that it din't have any 'preservatives' in. They roared with laughter as Preservatives in French means Contraceptives!! :lol: :tizzy:
fccs

Post by fccs »

Lyudmila -
Thank you for the links! I’m gong to have a lot of reading to do.

And Wendy, I’m sure they enjoyed your contraceptive-free jam. :D :D
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Post by fccs »

Here’s my progress on this one. I’m loving every stitch and it’s hard to put it down to work on other WIP’s.

Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

The dragon has feet!! 8)
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

You would be surprised even more if you knew that "zmey" means "snake"! With feet. And 21 heads. Firebreathing. :lol:
Lyudmila
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Wow what a fabulous design! Can't wait to see more! And it always makes a difference when you love what you're stitching! :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'