Workshops & classes

Trade, sell or buy Cross Stitch items or services. Only Subscribers can sell items in this forum.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Mabel Figworthy

Workshops & classes

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

As things are opening up I'm starting teaching again, yay!
I'll be teaching two workshops at the Ally Pally Knitting & Stitching Show on Friday 8th October, and a course Exploring Freestyle Embroidery in Rugby on 6 Thursdays in November & December.

More info on my Workshops page

Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Steam.Jo

Re: Workshops & classes

Post by Steam.Jo »

I hope the shows go ahead. All of the indoors shows I normally got to (Model Engineering) have decided not to risk holding a show this year.

Good Luck with your workshops.

Jo
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks Jo; last year's was cancelled and I wouldn't have gone even if it hadn't been; at the moment, with fairly high vaccination rates (and knowing that quite a sizeable proportion of K&S visitors tend to be of, shall we say, maturer years and therefore almost certainly double-jabbed) I'm OK with it, and they seem to be as well - well, so far so good anyway! But they have slashed the number of workshops (which is why I've only got two) so that they could make the rooms bigger so that participants can keep their distance, and there may well be mask wearing in class, so theyare definitely doing their best to make it safe!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

The Hardanger workshop and the 6-week course are now fully booked, but there are still tickets for the Butterfly Wreath workshop!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Excellent news about your next sortie to the Ally Pally! It's been many years since I went there with a couple of friends. We caught the coach from Bristol and had a splendid day out.

I was reading about your other workshops as well...I hope they go well for you. Just a bit far for me to attend. We will have to find you a venue 'over the Border' :D
Mabel Figworthy

Once we retire from the main business, I hope to be able to give 2 or 3 day classes (clases that last 2 or 3 days, I mean) at needlework shops around the country (if they'll have me :-) ) - I know several who do have programmes like that and it would make a good excuse for DH and me to see a bit more of various parts of the UK!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Excellent! :whoop: :whoop: :dance: :stars: :stars:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

We'd book you for my stitching group if you were willing to travel... :D
Mabel Figworthy

Well, as I say, when we've retired... I'll keep you informed! DH's grandmother lived in the Borders and there is a family place of sorts (via a great great grandfather I think) in Ardkinglass - I'm sure he'd like to go North again! (Although i realise that to you the Borders are proper South :-) )
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Nah, the Borders isn't proper South. You are proper South! And my SIL in Suffolk is really proper South.

I should add a friend from Lewis is of the opinion that all mainlanders are sassenachs, and he does have a point. I retort by telling him he's a Viking, but, you know what? He's quite pleased by that... :doh:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

My friends from (Isle of ) Wigit call us all "Overners"

As someone born in Portsmouth I was always told the northern waste lands started at the Southdowns and finished at the Antonine Wall :roll:

Jo
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

But what's beyond the Antonine Wall (apart from most of Scotland)? (living as I do beyond it). Are we beyond the Northern Wastes? :lol: I know for a fact that south of the Clyde there are dragons, and they are also south of the Antonine Wall.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Well I'm in the Borders and we see dragons regularly.....often disguised as Tourists!! :lol:

[quote=Steam.Jo post_id=712242 time=1631710750 user_id=32100]
My friends from (Isle of ) Wigit call us all "Overners"

As someone born in Portsmouth I was always told the northern waste lands started at the Southdowns and finished at the Antonine Wall :roll:

Jo
[/quote]

I was born in Portchester but brought up on the north side of Portsdown Hill.
If we could see the Isle of Wgit (Wight) it was going to rain...if we couldn't see it then it was already raining!!

My Grandad was a Boilermaker in the Naval Dockyards. He was proud of the fact that although he walked past HMS Victory every day , he never went onboard! :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

WW, we say the same thing about seeing/not seeing Loch Lomond. Alas, too often it is true.

Tourists are grockles in these parts of the world, partially because they are migratory, I suspect.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote:
> WW, we say the same thing about seeing/not seeing Loch Lomond. Alas, too
> often it is true.
>
> Tourists are grockles in these parts of the world, partially because they
> are migratory, I suspect.

They were Grockles in the Bristol area too! I guess it's a universal name! I did use it a while back here as a habit and wasn't asked for a translation as I was for other odd Wombat expressions! @rotfl:
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Now, who will kindly explain to this Johny Foreigner :oops: , what the dictionary means by the following:
grockles- tourists - British usage, not BrE(=not British English).

I mean- if it is not British English, than whose English is this word from? Thank you in advance.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Well! I think it's possibly a rather derogatory expression!

There are so many local expressions which do confound the 'Johnny Foreigner' Also different names for things in different areas of the country. All colloquial and equally baffling!
Don't let it trouble you Lyudmila...Remember this phrase..... " There's nowt so strange as Folk, except for me and thee..."

Nowt means nothing or nobody. That expression does go on but I've not added it! :roll: :wink: :lol:

I found in France the local colloquial words equally baffling and a total minefield! Especially when in the local dialect.
I expect you must have the same in the Ukraine.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

HELP!!

I tried to add to that post and I got duplicated and cannot delete!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :tantrum:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Podolyanka wrote:
> Now, who will kindly explain to this Johny Foreigner :oops: , what the
> dictionary means by the following:
> grockles- tourists - British usage, not BrE(=not British English).
>
> I mean- if it is not British English, than whose English is this word
> from? Thank you in advance.

My attempt at explaining things:

"Johnny" was a commonly used term in the early part of the 19th century for various classes of men, normally lower. My friend who owns WW1 lorries said that in the wars they always referred to the conscripted fighting men of the British Army as Johnny's, and any non Brit would be referred to as a "Johnny Foreigner". (also note the contraceptive is also known as a "Johnny" :roll:)

'Grock' was a clown with a red face and baggy clothes, who would visit the seaside resorts in the West country to give shows in the early 19th Century. It is easy to see how red faced (sunburnt) tourists wearing loose baggy clothes would have been derogatorily called Grockles. The first time I heard it was when I was working in Devon back in the 1980's its use is much more common now.

As normal there are a many explanations to phrases as stars in the sky :wink:

Jo
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Wendy, You can't delete your own post? I wondered why your post showed up 3 times. Sometimes I've clicked on Submit quickly and it does 2 identical posts. I edit my posts lots of times and not had that happen, but I have learned that anything can happen at any time with computers.I can try to delete it for you, if you like. Which ones should go? First, second or third?

And Lyudmila, I never heard of a "Grockle". Thank you for the explanation, Jo.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker