What a month

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

karen4bells

What a month

Post by karen4bells »

I feel like the fog is finally starting to lift so to speak!! The past few weeks have been extremely hectic!! First I had issues with my truck--had it in the shop a few times--hopefully it is finally now repair free for a while!! Also during that time my central air conditioning unit (16 years old) was acting up--replace the capacitors in the outside unit, then it started to flip one of the breakers. Air conditioning people were very good, but just couldn't quite trace down the problem. I had a close neighborhood friend come look at the system, and after a couple of visits and a bit of detective work ( by myself and younger son) narrowed down what was causing the problem. Rick, our friend analyzed what we told him and suggested a slightly higher amp circuit breaker--he has a similar ac unit and his breaker box had the higher amp circuit. So he and my son went to three different stores to locate the breaker, and also talked to workers at those places and got what was needed. He switched out the circuit and knock on wood, the a c is working as it should!! If I can manage to get through the rest of the cooling season, I will be happy!! Also the paperwork for insurance coverage, pension, etc--it's been a real learning experience to say the least. Hopefully, most of that is finally behind me and soon I can rest just a little bit easier!!

I did finally get my first Covid vaccination yesterday--a little soreness in the arm but otherwise no real adverse side effects so far!! :whoop: :whoop:
I got the Moderna one, and the second shot will be done in 4 weeks--which will hopefully protect me from getting extremely sick should I actually get the dreaded virus!!
Thanks to my medical, dental and vision insurances finally being reactivated, I can get some much needed dental work done later this month. I need a crown on one of my back molars and top two front teeth need fillings--and of course, the usual doctor visits can now be done without stressing out about the cost so much!!
To sum it all up--I have been through a lot, but I honestly think that it has all made me just a little bit stronger and definitely more persistent in getting things accomplished!!
Hopefully this means that I will be visiting here more regularly and getting caught up on some of my stitching!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Steam.Jo

Re: What a month

Post by Steam.Jo »

Sounds like you need a :hug: Karen and some stitching time.

A truck to me is a big lorry :shock: In the UK they are screaming out for truck drivers they can demand high prices as the lovely European drivers went home :(

Air Con: Sound like you are running on single phase and have what is called a capacitor start electric motors. What happens is there are two windings in the motors one has a centrifugal switch and that capacitor - its the starting winding, the other is the running winding. When the motor is started it needs the two windings to get it to spin up on its own, once up to speed the starting winding "drops out" due to the centrifugal switch. As the motors get older they tend to get dirty (from wearing down the motor brushes and the like) and you can get a sticky switch. If the centrifugal switch doesn't open once the motor is up to speed it will run with both coils meaning it will draw more current. More current means more power taken and that means heat - are the motors warmer than you would expect?

Its an easy job servicing an electric motor. There is not a lot in them. I found a Youtube video that tells you everything you need to know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-j6PhthXJY&t=96s

Well done on getting your jab :tizzy: Its the first step towards us all getting back to normality :whoop:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

K4b, you've definitely been through it, haven't you. Well, it's lovely to have you back, and I hope you do have a chance to catch up with your stitching. (I sympathise when it comes to pension and other complicated paperwork!) So glad your medical coverage is all sorted -- what a nightmare! Well, whatever you'd like is behind the bar in the Stash & Grab, that's for sure! :toast:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

What a time you have had for sure Karen and I agree with you that 'hopefully it is all behind you' Well done coping with official paperwork too. It can be a difficult progress at times for sure. Get some rest and try not to dash around too much:)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Glad things are getting less hectic for you Karen.
Maybe things'll calm down enough to start enjoying stuff again.

Steam Jo - wish you'd been my electrickery lecturer at college, things would have seemed a lot clearer and a great deal less like magic if you had, I suspect. I muddled through 3 phase power components of my studies and have managed to palm it off on to people who understand since then. :oops:

All the best

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

What a month indeed!! :tizzy: :tizzy:

One thing that came through though from your trials and tribulations is your Inner strength coping with it all! :applesauce: :applesauce:

Good to have you back and Big :hug: :hug:
See you in the S&G :wink:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

wendywombat wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:23 am What a month indeed!! :tizzy: :tizzy:

One thing that came through though from your trials and tribulations is your Inner strength coping with it all! :applesauce: :applesauce:

Good to have you back and Big :hug: :hug:
See you in the S&G :wink:
:hug: :hug: :hug: :wub: :wub: I agree. and a :toast: for getting through it all. I don't know what was worst for me, taking care of house and car issues or paperwork regarding pensions etc. Most important though is that you are making sure you are taking care of yourself. The vaccination (don't forget that second shot) is really important since this latest spike we are having. And definitely getting that AC fixed is critical for maintaining your health. We used to vacation near Tampa every summer (Anna Maria Island) and know that summer without AC (and sometimes winter too) isn't a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing your stitching updates!!!

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker