Hi Everyone - and life update (long story)

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

agi

Hi Everyone - and life update (long story)

Post by agi »

Hi, hello, nice to see you guys.
For newer members, I am Agi, have been a member for quite long but have become a lurker (or more often MIA) lately. But for a long while I was an active member, then life happened. Big hug to all old friends and another big one to those I haven't met yet. :hug: :grouphug:

So the "old" folk might remember that I moved to Sweden to teach textiles and went to uni to complete my teacher degree with textiles. And learnt Swedish. And learnt sewing and now I spend most of my time with the sewing machine, sewing clothes and quilts.

Then my old depression/anxiety flared up and I was on sick leave, slowly got better and managed to get back to school. Taught part time one year, then full time a whole year, but towards the end of that, last spring, I started to feel unwell again. In August school started and I tried and tried but now I am really unwell again. Got a diagnose of burnout syndrome (counts as an illness here). Got a half-time sick leave, so now I work half time and get some money from the health authorities for the other half (you gotta love Sweden!) but after 4 weeks of this it feels it is still too much. So now my doctor is talking about me finding another job because the school environment, the noise and the crowd, keeps me in constand stress mode.

I am devastated and very sad because all my life I have been a teacher and I love it. I have been looking for jobs but cannot find anything that I could do. Most job announcements start with "Are you enthusiastic about..." and then continue with "wee need you if you handle stress well... " etc. And right now I don't feel any enthusiasm and I need to avoid stress. :(

My daughter is back in Hungary, she got married last summer when of course we couldn't be there but finally we had a big party this August. I am missing her a lot but also so happy for her, her musician career is going really well. Her band just won a national competition for new talents.

Well, anyway, I picked up cross stitch again, and I am so sad that even a simple little pattern feels too difficult but I am slowly progressing. Going to make it into a pillow for my boyfriend's bonus grandchild (his daughter's partner's daughter - love this Swedish expression, "bonus child").

Let me see if I still remember how to post some pictures, then I will edit this post.

Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Serinde

Re: Hi Everyone - and life update (long story)

Post by Serinde »

Agi!! :wub: :hug: It's wonderful to have you back with us, but, oh, what a difficult time you have had. I know how much teaching means to you, so having to step back from it must be so difficult. However, I am glad you are looking after your health -- it's foundational -- and thank heaven for Sweden!! What rational attitudes! Past a certain point, no one "handles stress well", especially with no relief. Well, in the meantime, there's your favourite chair in the Stash & Grab just waiting for you and I hope you can enjoy what everyone else is stitching while you put your own needle to cloth when you are able.

"Bonus child" is a brilliant term. Thanks!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Dear Agi! :D You've been having a really rotten time. :hug: :hug: ...I quite understand Stress and how debilitating it is.

It's good to see you back here and I hope that we will see you when your'e able. The S&G is a lovely place to relax so I hope that you'll find time to 'be here' with us. xx

We've left France now, permanently. That was a whole 14 months ago, how time flies, and at the end of this week we are moving into our permanent home here in the Scottish Borders. I've not done much stitching either but hope to get more done when we are settled.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:hug: :hug: :hug: It is so good to hear from you!!! You have been missed. I am sorry that you've had so much stress and hope that it is under more control now. Not an easy task to accomplish. I am so glad that you are in Sweden which clearly has an incredibly realistic and supportive approach to dealing with stress and its emotional consequences. Wish I could give you a real hug, but the virtual ones will have to do. As for lurking, we have a lot of "guests" and I think quite a few of "lurkers". That is allowed and we've had a few returnees lately too. Whatever works for you is what is important.

I love your little elephants and know they are going to make the bonus child (what a great concept that is) a special pillow. I made an Elephant Birth Sampler for my first great granddaughter this past Spring. One of the more fun projects I've done.
Serinde wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:26 am there's your favourite chair in the Stash & Grab just waiting for you and I hope you can enjoy what everyone else is stitching while you put your own needle to cloth when you are able.
Look forward to seeing you now and then in S&G. Tea (or anything stronger if you prefer) is waiting for you.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Great to have you back posting again and I love your latest beauty. It takes time to recover from the stresses and strains you have been under so do be kind to yourself. If life is difficult then go sit in the chair and read or have a snooze. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Welcome back! It's good to have a place you can always come back to :hug:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Welcome back Agi. Glad to hear you're still able to visit. Life can be a bit wearing, but with help, hopefully it's possible to get through it.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation