2022 Deliveries & Stash Acquisitions

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Steam.Jo

Re: 2022 Deliveries & Stash Acquisitions

Post by Steam.Jo »

I saw this lovely home put together kit for a cross stitch forest on Fleabay entitled " And a Forest Grew". Closer inspection made me question what was supplied as it had a 28" wide piece of 32 count evenweave and a quick calculation told me that the stitched area for the piece was 26 1/2" alone, with out any mounting allowance. There are zillions (103) different DMC colours on it so I thought even at £65 :thinks: I made an offer that thankfully was turned down.

Then sensibility set in after I found I could buy the chart here in the UK from "The Patchwork Rabbit" for £11.50.

As suspected they recommend 3" extra fabric all round = 33" wide so the offered kit on Fleabay is going to disappoint someone if they try using the fabric supplied. Then I thought: I have a huge piece of 36 count linen that came in a second :oops: Thea Governor bird table kit I brought - the linen was stained and the kit had been started so I took a punt at the £5 inc P&P being asked for it :wink: The fabric has since been cleaned, remaining stitches unpicked, washed again and when I got it out the other day to look at it I could hardly notice any staining remaining :D

As for 103 different thread colours, lets be honest if this was a period piece I doubt that they would have had that many to hand or put it another way I'll use what ever comes to hand out of my stash that is about right.

That chart has saved me a couple of pennies (if not pounds :) )

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

amazing what a difference between the two options. I agree someone is going to be very disappointed when the kit arrives. Makes one wonder if the 103 skeins of thread will all be there either. It is a beautiful piece and I'm looking forward to watching it develop.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Deep frustration is setting in again :tantrum: I am noting this just in case someone else gets caught in this way:

You may recall I have just started stitching up a picture of a Motorcycle for my friend. I was short of 4 threads so I ordered them on Fleabay from 3 separate companies. The first one turned up the following morning :) The other three (two letters) are now 10 days over due.

Finally today I received two Royal Snail cards saying they had two "items" with insufficient postage and £2.50 per item was due in penalty. Needless to say I am not paying twice as much as the item is worth to get them forwarded. One of the suppliers has sent me a second skein to replace the first but I am suspicious that they may yet again have underpaid the postage.

I have ordered the missing skeins from yet another company (who hopefully puts the correct postage on them) while the first orders sort themselves out with a refund or what ever. It is a bit annoying as I have reached the bit that needs the missing colours and am having to stitch around them :doh:

Jo

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That is poor service. :anotherfrog: Care to name so we can avoid said company?

Re the sampler. 103 colours!?! Sounds like a potential stash buster to me!
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I have successfully purchased Skeins from Sarahgh for £1.38 each inc P&P. :) They only have a few left at that price and are clearing their stocks.

On 8th I made 2 seperate purchases from Oakwooddirect - these are outstanding, I have had only one response to say wait until 20th before they will refund me. Note I have two Royal mail insufficient postage cards :neutral:

On the 8th I also purchased one from Clearwatercrafts2012 - this is also outstanding. Stuart has been very good at replying to my messages about this being missing and has already sent a replacement. He doesn't think the Royal mail cards are for his delivery as he uses "business mail" which is a third party company that has some sort of deal with Royal mail for delivery. He was also good enough to warn me about the scams that are going round to do with "non delivery" cards - I know these are from Royal Snail as my Postie handed them to me in person. :)

I have just ordered my back up replacements from barbaras_crossstitch4you. Who does 5 skeins inc P&P for £5.45.

I discussed the delivery issue with my postie "Tina" and she says they are getting very strict or one could say looking to profit by raising lots of these not enough postage cards as she never used to get any. She laughed when I told her they were not worth £2.50 only 80p and they would be keeping them and I would be seeking a refund from Fleabay.

Sorry this is getting to be a long reply :oops: I think Royal Snail are using some sort of optical height sensor machine so if an envelope is sealed with extra air or the skein gets tangled in the envelope it registers as too thick and kicks it out as a financial opportunity.

Jo

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

103 colours? That's all? :wink:

Sounds like quite a time consuming project.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

The whole thing sounds so frustrating to me. I think Post Offices are in a terrible catch 22 which is that as people get frustrated with deliveries that don't arrive or are late they turn to using more email and text notices which cuts the revenue of the post office which then has a harder time delivering letters etc. I have become so reliant on using the internet for so much that I dread the thought of a major problem happening there. Technology is wonderful, except when it doesn't work. I hope you get all of the threads you need and the refunds you are due. I'm still looking forward to watched that Forest Grow.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I have got to the bottom of the missing letters: the vendor did not put any stamps on the envelopes :doh: My Postie and I had a good laugh when she asked did you use some of your "reusable postage stamps to bail them out".

I also got a reply from Royal mail from my query to them:
I’m sorry you've received two fee to pay cards for underpaid items and can understand the inconvenience this may have caused.

When an underpaid item displays the recipient’s full and correct postal address, we’ll still do all we can to get it to the recipient. However, we request payment of a 'surcharge fee' from the recipient to pay for the cost of doing so. The following flat-rate surcharge fees are applied:

• £1.50 for a letter or large letter with insufficient postage
• £2.50 for a letter or large letter with no postage at all
• £3.50 for a small parcel with insufficient or no postage
• A £1.50 handling fee for a Special Delivery Guarantee item or a medium parcel with insufficient or no postage, plus postage to nearest 10p.

I'm sure you’ll appreciate we need to cover all costs of delivering mail. Surcharging underpaid items also highlights the error and prevents similar mistakes being made in the future.

I appreciate the mistake that led us to ask for payment wasn’t made by you, but it’s important you’re allowed the opportunity to receive your post, rather than us returning it to the sender straight away and asking them to pay
This time they were correct in claiming a fee.

Jo

Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

What a horrible situation and thank goodness you managed to get it all sorted! I work for the Post Office as part of my job and whilst I do love it and enjoy the regular customers I feel sorry for those who come in who have either not received a parcel they were waiting for or someone hasn't received one they've posted. All I can say is it's in the hands of Royal Mail and give them a freepost form to fill out as after it leaves us it's up to Royal Mail to deal with it. To forget to put on stamps is very silly and unprofessional! :tantrum:

In other news, I've gone a bit daft and went on a buying frenzy. I had fallen in love with Riolis Juicy Apples (we have apple trees in our back garden and our house is called Orchard Cottage) and bought it, along with Bright Lemons and Sunny Persimmon, from an Etsy shop YarnStories based in Lithuania, and expect them to arrive in the next couple of weeks! :wub:

I also bought three Wrendale kits from the new collection today via Very Crafty :doh: I hope these will arrive in the next day or so. The first of them is 'The Best Treat of All' featuring three gorgeous dogs dressed in their scary Halloween costumes!

The second is 'Little Whispers' which is of two mice surrounded by pink flowers. I've loved this illustration since first seeing it and have been pestering Bothy Threads to make into a kit for a while! My wish was granted!

The third and final Wrendale is a Christmas card which I intend to stitch for my friend, Cheryl. I will switch out the golden metallic thread which I detest for a golden DMC stranded cotton colour.

I also went onto one of my favourite websites www.stitcher.co.uk to buy some extra fabric. They do the DMC fabric which I prefer as it's rolled and in tubes so no creases. One each of the white 14ct and 16ct and a 14ct oatmeal linen aida and one of each of the 14ct ocean and lilac dyed aidas.

That's it I have way more than enough to be getting on with as is and I really shouldn't have over excessed with all of this stuff but it makes me happy so it must be a good thing right? :tizzy: :-D
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

They are lovely :wub: I see why you needed to have them

I now need to go and check out the new Bothy Thread pieces at Verycrafty :doh:

Jo

mags

Post by mags »

These are all gorgeous. :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Beautiful designs and the Bothy kits are as usual fun and creative and I love watching them develop! Seems to me that every once in a while a buying frenzy is good for one's soul (probably not good if it is diamonds, or cars or in my case, ice cream :roll: ) and this particular frenzy will bring you lots of fun and leave you with beautiful creations.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I've been having one of those days :doh: Then this turned up:

:D

Jo

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I would say the timing couldn't be any better!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

rcperryls wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:04 pm I would say the timing couldn't be any better!

Carole
I completely agree Carole! Have fun with that Jo!

I also got mail yesterday! My kits arrived from Lithuania (I had been keeping an eye on the tracking and wasn't expecting them for another week) so happy dance when I heard the letterbox and then saw the parcel! :whoop: I'm starting the apples one right away :dance:

Work in Progress
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

:shock: I like those as well. We seem to have a similar taste in kits, you will have to show us all where you brought them from :wink:

Jo

Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Not sure if this link will work Jo but if you type in Riolis Apples on Etsy UK the seller is called YarnStories :D my review is on there too xxx

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/9616106 ... ro=1&sts=1
Work in Progress
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

So last week I placed an order on Etsy for a laying tool and it's just arrived today.

Work in Progress
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

That is very pretty :D

Jo

fccs

Post by fccs »

Oh, that's a beautiful laying tool. I have a pretty wooden one (hmmm...it's somewhere here), and a two or three that fit over a finger.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends