Jo's stitching 2022

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Steam.Jo

Re: Jo's stitching 2022

Post by Steam.Jo »

"Squeaking" that's just the right terms for it, thank you Nicola :) What they have done is gold plated the needle and left it with the rough plated finish rather than polishing it after - the plating is probably is too thin to polish.

Reporting back on using the John James needle: the thread showed signs of getting hairy during use while doing half stitch using two strands. I'll try a Prym next.

When I had to do a little :anotherfrog: the strands started falling apart. Clearly not DMC thread :tantrum:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Squeaky needles was a subject we discussed some time back. :D

Although I can't remember suffering the Squeak it can be really annoying to have a less than sleek and smooth needle. I never use those supplied with kits as they are often on the 'cheap & cheerful' type. :doh:
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

wendywombat wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:19 am Squeaky needles was a subject we discussed some time back. :D
I would be interested to read through that Wendy, I couldn't find it when I searched.

On going experiment: The Prym needle doesn't seem to have caused any hairyness of the thread on some half stitch using two strands.

This is where I have got up to and you can see where I had to do the :ribbit: :ribbit: as fibres from the thread have come off during the pulling through :doh:

However :roll: I have changed my stitching style and making sure I fully pull through the thread on either side, rather than going through and quickly up again then pulling through with the thread running over the fabric, because I am now suspecting that it is the roughness of the fabric that is wearing the strands of thread. This change of technique is increasing the stitching time and it is a bit frustrating.

The result is I am getting the desire to do my TW Sampler especially as the missing DMC Pearl thread has turned up and it is raining so I cannot do any gardening :wink:

Jo

mags

Post by mags »

Steam.Jo wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:48 am
wendywombat wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:19 am Squeaky needles was a subject we discussed some time back. :D
I would be interested to read through that Wendy, I couldn't find it when I searched.
I couldn't find it either.
I think it was Rose that mentioned squeaky needles after I sent her some John James gold needles as part of an exchange. (ages ago) :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Steam.Jo wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:48 am
I looked it up and it predates 2018-ish. The 'author/member' hasn't been on for several years and it seems that ancient posts will have been lost after the hacking which caused the Forum to collapse.

The member, I think it was Jilly, who mentioned 'Squeaky' gold needles posted that she was experimenting an audible squeak when passing the needle through the fabric. I think some other members also found this but it was so long ago I can't remember the details. It could be that one of the longstanding members can remember.
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

While I wait for some more needles I have ordered to arrive :D I noticed that no one seems to be posting any actual stitching of late so here is an update on mine:

As you can tell I am aiming for the bottom corner before I start infilling. The stitching technique of only pulling the thread through at 90 degrees and holding the thread on the opposite side to the needle also at 90 degrees has reduced the "hairy-ness" of these cheap and nasty threads but don't try :ribbit: that is guaranteed to make the stands fall apart :doh:

Jo

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Another reason I have stayed away from kits. Despite the kits generally saying they are DMC or Anchor threads, I’m not sure it is the same quality, though I may have had just bad luck with the ones I have tried. I understand why companies are reluctant to give the information as they don’t want charts and keys passed around, but it can be frustrating.

I’m not posting stitching photos because what I’m stitching is a secret until Wendy gets it in the mail. I think,that might be true for a few others of us.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I'm not posting pictures at the moment as I haven't got much to show and what I have got won't load to my computer. :tantrum: I think my Dropbox needs sorting.
But I am enjoying seeing what is being stitched. :dance:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I just keep forgetting to take pictures! (Not that there's a lot to show.)
fccs

Post by fccs »

I have had a few fabrics that did fuzz up the floss because of its roughness. I think I switched to a larger needle to give the floss more room.
Serinde wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:55 am I just keep forgetting to take pictures! (Not that there's a lot to show.)
I keep forgetting to take pictures of my progress on several WIPs as well. No, you’re right, that’s a total lie. I have one focus WIP and I can’t post it until Richard receives it…which can’t happen until I finish it. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

My tree's roots have reached the ground:

The gaps are for the falling leaves.

It is a strange year because as I look out of my window the leaves are still in the main on the trees. In the UK Bonfire night (5th November) normally marks the point where all the leaves have fallen but not this year. As the leaves fall I will share the joy of my Fall Fairy throwing the autumn's gold into the air :D

My Birdies love me turning over the fallen leaves :wink:

Jo

Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Lovely update Jo! The colours are beautiful. :applesauce:

We have a wild bird mix in our feeder as well as fat balls and suet pellets. The Magpie has become a regular visitor, I know some people don't like them but I do, they have only colonised our part of Scotland relatively recently and I enjoy watching their antics. Watching the garden birds is one of my favourite pastimes xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
fccs

Post by fccs »

Your fairy is going to be gorgeous. Look at those colors!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

fccs wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:03 pm Your fairy is going to be gorgeous. Look at those colors!!
Indeed! after all the blues of the Dragon :dance: :applesauce:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

wendywombat wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:20 pm
fccs wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:03 pm Your fairy is going to be gorgeous. Look at those colors!!
Indeed! after all the blues of the Dragon :dance: :applesauce:
totally agree!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I've found a tree stump that has moss growing on its top:

and the leaves up the tree I have now realised is Ivy. I always find it amazing how much more you find in a piece as you stitch it, rather than what you initially observed when you brought it.

Jo

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Indeed! As we stitch the picture suddenly emerges from the symbols.

Then when the piece is finished back stitching brings Even More detail into the picture. :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Even after years of stitching I am always amazed when all of a sudden a picture emerges looking like it is supposed to look. When hair looks like hair or an animal looks like the one it is supposed to be. Or when green stitches begin to look live ivy climbing up the trunk of a tree. I think that is a big part for me of the magic of cross stitching.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:13 pm Even after years of stitching I am always amazed when all of a sudden a picture emerges looking like it is supposed to look. When hair looks like hair or an animal looks like the one it is supposed to be. Or when green stitches begin to look live ivy climbing up the trunk of a tree. I think that is a big part for me of the magic of cross stitching.

Carole
Well said!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Steam.Jo