'Our Lyudmila

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Squirrel

Re: 'Our Lyudmila

Post by Squirrel »

Thanks Wendy for posting her reply.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am so happy whenever i hear her replying to an email. Thank you Wendy and Sally and Serena for keeping up us updated whenever you can.

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

rcperryls wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:55 pm I am so happy whenever i hear her replying to an email. Thank you Wendy and Sally and Serena for keeping up us updated whenever you can.

Carole
Agreed!! Keeping Lyudmila, her family and all of Ukraine in my thoughts and prayers and really hoping for a cease to this war!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

karen4bells wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:53 pm
rcperryls wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:55 pm I am so happy whenever i hear her replying to an email. Thank you Wendy and Sally and Serena for keeping up us updated whenever you can.

Carole
Agreed!! Keeping Lyudmila, her family and all of Ukraine in my thoughts and prayers and really hoping for a cease to this war!!
Yes!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Perhaps we should take it in turns to send messages to her.

It's been said she will be saving her message times and batteries for her immediate family and essentials.
I would hate to think that we bombard her with our messages.

She's part of our Forum Family and of course we are worried and concerned for her safety.

What does everyone think about this?
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Sounds like a very good idea - that way she can keep in touch without being overwhelmed with messages. I have emailed her in the past but can't find the address now, grr, anyway, I'm happy to be part of a rota, or just to catch up here.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:11 am Sounds like a very good idea - that way she can keep in touch without being overwhelmed with messages. I have emailed her in the past but can't find the address now, grr, anyway, I'm happy to be part of a rota, or just to catch up here.
Totally agree.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I don't have her address unfortunately, but it's a good idea.
Been trying to see if there are any details on sponsoring a refugee for a UK visa should Lyudmila feel she needs to be away from it all. Unfortunately it's too early for any details to have been worked out by the people who announced it. Grrh.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

richardandtracy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:04 pm I don't have her address unfortunately, but it's a good idea.
Been trying to see if there are any details on sponsoring a refugee for a UK visa should Lyudmila feel she needs to be away from it all. Unfortunately it's too early for any details to have been worked out by the people who announced it. Grrh.

Regards,

Richard
I think one point of contact is a good idea. I've messaged her through the forum a few times but I think one person who can speak for all of us is a good idea. Whoever the POC is, they should let her know what we are doing so she'll be aware that we are all with her.

Richard, that's a wonderful gesture and one that doesn't surprise me. You're good people. I heard on the news that the EU has granted Ukranian refugees three year visas. I hope that's true and that the free world will welcome them with open arms. It's hard to believe this war is happening, and sadly I don't think it should surprise us. My heart hurts for Ukraine, and for all impacted by the acts of one man.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I heard on the news that the EU has granted Ukrainian refugees three year visas. I hope that's true and that the free world will welcome them with open arms.
Sadly the UK government are being not so willing to take in our Ukrainians friends :tantrum: We want to provide them accommodation and help, for example: yesterday morning one of the locals headed off to the Ukrainian boarder with his 18 seater Mini-bus filled with stuff for the refugees with the intention to fill it with refugees to bring them back. But the UK government is only letting in Ukrainians who already have close relatives living here into the UK.

To make it worse most of our (government) cabinet seem to be descended from refugees themselves, Something they seem to have forgotten

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
richardandtracy

And yesterday the Home Office Minister Pritti Patel seemed to say individuals could sponsor a refugee. This afternoon, the PM indicated that was never going to happen. It's infuriating that they not only don't have a plan and can't create one, but don't even talk to each other before spouting off the cuff. :tantrum:

Regards,

Richard.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I hope Lyudmila is able to leave if she chooses. Sending hugs and prayers.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

On one of the news shows I watched this morning a 70 y.o. Ukrainian woman named Lyudmila was briefly interviewed. Don’t remember much of what she said. I’m sure there are many Lyudmilas in Kyiv. I couldn’t help but wonder if I was looking at our Lyudmila.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yes, Richard. I had hopes (and did local churches) that institutions like our local kirk could sponsor a refugee person or family, but that seems to have fallen though the same crack as individual sponsorship. How the government manages to be simultaneously dragging its feet and talking up its achievements regarding refugees is jaw dropping. :tantrum:
richardandtracy

Carole, I am sure there are lots of Lyudmila's in Kyiv, but there is a chance it was her.

Serinde, the disconnect between words & actions by the government seems to be increasing in recent years. PR management seems to be the focus, not delivery of something to have PR about.

Regards,

Richard
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Quite honestly I am ashamed of our Government. The whole process is a complete shambles.

I am furious with Priti Patel, our Home Secretary, several members of our Government were refugees themselves and where is their compassion now?

I pray every morning and every night for Lyudmila and her family and for the whole of Ukraine, I would love to send her an email, but I don't want to clog up her inbox at a time when there are more important contacts to be made.

I do think it's a good idea to have one point of contact for the forum so she isn't overwhelmed, if possible.
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I hope that "our" Lyudmila very soon gets a chance to see the Love :wub: we are sending her and her fellow country people here on our forum.

Today locally another shipment of stuff left us to go off to the Ukraine boarder to help the Ukrainian refugees :whoop: But don't get me on the incompetence of our Government to rise to the challenge :tantrum:

I was pleased to see the Russians sent the Ukrainians another General for target practise and their sharp shooter did a good job ... two down lets hope they send the remaining 10 Russian Generals and they are removed in the same efficient manner :wink: I am sure the Russian troops are actually human at heart.

And I should admit that since I heard President Volodymyr Zelenskyy did the voice over for Paddington bear in the films I have a terrible problem not imagining Paddington every time I hear his voice :oops:

Jo

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

We need to concentrate on the positive things we can do for our Ukrainian friends. I know that Scotland has sent supplies to the Polish border, too, and there is much willingness to house refugees here, as I'm sure there is all around the country. We've turned down our thermostat, and I'm having a re-think about what is going into the veg garden this summer. One thing's for sure, I'm planting a shed-load of sunflowers. I rather fancy a blue and yellow flower garden, too.
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Many lorries have left collection points here in North Wales and I believe a fair number from South Wales too with donations and aid for Ukraine heading to Poland. It is heartwarming to see how many people have risen to the challenge and donated clothing, toiletries, toys, games, blankets, pushchairs, as well as food and monetary donations. The ordinary people doing what our Government seems unable to do.

Jo, President Zelenskyy voiced Paddington in Ukrainian for the Ukrainian release of the two Paddington films. Ben Wishaw voiced the English version. I loved Paddington's "Hard Stare" in the tea-rooms at the station. I know of a good few people who could do with being on the receiving end of a hard stare.
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I did realise it was for the Ukrainian language version :wink:

I do hope the Paddington stare works when he gets to see that war criminal Puking.

Jo