Passing of the Queen

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Passing of the Queen

Post by rcperryls »

Everything I can think of to express my most sincere condolences to all of you in the UK on the passing of Queen Elizabeth II sounds contrived and phony. I think it is hard for those on this side of the big pond to truly understand what this means and how it feels to those of you who have known her all of your lives as the only monarch you have known and what the loss is like since we have nothing to exactly compare it to. But I do know how the loss of a loved one feels and can empathize with you for the loss you are feeling today. Anything else I can think of to say has been said much better by others. So please accept my most genuine expression of sympathy.

Carole
:(
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Re: Passing of the Queen

Post by Serinde »

Thank you. It is odd at the moment, sort of a liminal state of being; but there are protocols in place to deal with all the ceremonial in the same way there would be if this was your parent or grandparent. Other People know what to do. I think it will take a while before we get used to referring to a King, but that can wait. Anyone who has ever lost a parent knows what the royal family is feeling, but to have to do all that in public... doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm in a peculiar situation, I feel, too, being both an American and a newly minted British citizen who has actually sworn an oath to be faithful and bear true allegiance to the Queen and her heirs and successors. But it doesn't take much to see what a huge change this will be. Just need to wait to find out where we will find ourselves.
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Thank you Carole,

I have just spent a lovely afternoon at our sewing group discussing our wonderful Late Queen :wub: and what she meant to all of us. I always have considered her to be the world's nicest Grandmother who had time for everyone she met. She dedicated her life to the service of her people and her smile was not only infectious but was like like the brightest ray of sunshine that ever shone on you, it left you with such a feeling of joy that never left you. One cannot imagine what her family feel as we only experienced her presence for a fleeting moment and they were bathed in her love for their entire life.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
fccs

Post by fccs »

As an American, I, too, cannot fully understand how my UK friends feel at the loss of your Queen, but I know the pain is real, as is the loss. For my generation, Queen Elizabeth was the first strong woman in power, and as such she became an example for the women around the world. She showed us that a strong, powerful woman can also be a wife and mother. She showed everyone that a world leader can be kind, compassionate, and intelligent. She dealt with complicated family issues that many of us also face, but we have the benefit of facing them in private. She had to deal with personal issues on the world stage, and she handled it all with grace.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Queen's family as they grieve, and with the King as he steps into the role he has prepared for all his life, knowing it would happen while he suffers a great personal loss. I hope he has his mother's grace and wisdom as he faces the trials and tribulations he will surely encounter. May the Queen rest in peace, reunited with her Prince. God save the King.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

My thoughts are possibly a little less affected than some. I'm a little conflicted, but my general feeling is that I shall mourn her as much as she did my mother, or would have mourned my mother had she known my mother existed: Remotely and not too deeply.

I am saddened that that a great grandmother, and extremely respected & knowledgeable person died. I think she’s been missing her husband enormously, and for that I grieve. Having a problem son and another problem grandchild & his wife must have made things worse.

As for missing ‘The Queen’ (in her role as Monarch as opposed to the person in her role as the head of a family), I rather doubt that I ever will. Any more than I will cheer when King Charles III is crowned. I am neither a Royalist nor a Republican. The entire governance system we have in this country is chaotic, inefficient, riddled with inconsistencies and archaic hangovers, but for all that it works moderately well for this country and because of that I am happy to stick with it. But it doesn’t mean I need to cheer nor do I need to ‘boo’, it's just the way the system has developed. And I am certain it’s not a system any sane person would want to inflict on a country if they were starting from scratch. The head of state crown passes seamlessly to the next in line as if it doesn't matter who is the person wearing the crown. As should be the case. No-one is indispensable, but some are better at the job than others. I'm sure the King will get used to his role and get better at it as time goes on.

On the plus side for the system we have, I do think it's useful that the head of state is pretty much outside politics, as that means you don't get the political divisions associated with an elected head. The Prime Minister can be reviled for their political views, but it doesn't spill over to the role of the person who's the figurehead for the country. I also am relieved that the system we have seems to reduce the perturbations caused by serious political divisions between one faction and the other.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well put, Richard. You certainly wouldn't start from here, yet here we are. If a change were to be contemplated, which it's not, I would favour something like the Irish presidential system. With my historian's hat on, the whole constitutional thing is fascinating, but I do feel sorry for them, forced to be on show and "play their part" at such a sorrowful time.

And if Charles had been using one of your pens, it wouldn't have leaked!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:11 am Well put, Richard. You certainly wouldn't start from here, yet here we are. If a change were to be contemplated, which it's not, I would favour something like the Irish presidential system. With my historian's hat on, the whole constitutional thing is fascinating, but I do feel sorry for them, forced to be on show and "play their part" at such a sorrowful time.

And if Charles had been using one of your pens, it wouldn't have leaked!
I echo all of what you've said so succinctly, Richard and agree with Serinde too.
I've always thought that a funeral and grief is a private time and see all this outpouring of national grief is over the top.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

It must be hard to live one's entire life in the media spotlight, and mistakes & pratfall's must be expected by everyone. The Queen was remarkable in not making any in public that I'm aware of.

I'd like to think one of my pens wouldn't have leaked, but you never know... For such things the ink used is still archival quality Iron Gall ink, which is highly acidic (pH 0-1 depending on formulation) and can damage quite a few pens, which can then cause leaks. The pen looked to me as if there was a chance it was a Parker 61 Presidential (looked like a hooded nib, so probably Parker 51 or 61, and the Parker 61 is newer), so 40 years old minimum. The Parker 61 is a pen made made with polystyrene (unlike acrylic for the Parker 51) and it's a plastic that micro-cracks and finally goes porous when subject to acid attack. With inks of pH2-3 that takes around 20-25 years constant use to go porous (as I found from personal experience with my Parker 61 using mostly Pelikan Turquoise ink - pH 2.2), but it is likely to quicker with the more acidic Iron Gall ink.
[I've also had problems with alkaline ink, the extremely caustic but gorgeously electric blue ink 'Baystate Blue' https://www.purepens.co.uk/products/noo ... e-blue-ink by US ink maker 'Noodlers' softens the feed and nib grip on the Lamy Safari & Vista pens (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/foru ... a-11i-nib/), as I found out the hard way, and the nib folds back like a detached fingernail. The ink has another property - it smells like a chemical factory when new, and it can be eye-watering. I think it gives me a migraine if I have the pen uncapped for more than an hour.]

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

I don’t know enough about the monarchy to have a real opinion, and I haven’t lived under a queen or king. However, I still believe Queen Elizabeth should and will stand as an example to women that we can be all things = powerful, intelligent, compassionate, diplomatic, yet still be a strong and important member of our own families, however dysfunctional they might be. (And I’m beginning to realize most families are at least slightly dysfunctional.) Her grace should be an example to everyone, men and women.

The public outpouring of grief for the Queen is not unlike what happens here in the US when a president or other influential figure passes (think John Kennedy, Ruth Bader Ginsburg), or in most countries. It’s emotion and wanting to be part of history coming together, hopefully to honor a life well lived.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

I am disappointed that at a time of national grief following the death of our much loved Monarch, this thread has degraded to a political discussion

Eccl 3.1
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
fccs

Post by fccs »

Steam.Jo wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:01 pm I am disappointed that at a time of national grief following the death of our much loved Monarch, this thread has degraded to a political discussion

Eccl 3.1
If my comments were taken as political, I apologize. My intention was to focus on the Queen’s importance to everyone, and her grace. I very rarely talk politics with my friends and I would never do that here.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

For the removal of doubt, let's take any more comments about the death of Elizabeth II and the accession of Charles III to the Stash & Grab.