Scotland :-)

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Re: Scotland :-)

Post by richardandtracy »

Serinde wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:49 am When you've got extinct volcanos to hand, why not build on them? ....
There are a few extinct volcanoes in Dartmoor & Bodmin Moor, but people get quite upset if you build there, with them being National Parks & All that. :doh:

I will confess my two forays into Scotland have been quite limited. On a motorcycle camping trip my brother & I rode through Glasgow, took the ferry across the Clyde to Dunoon and then a bit further up the valley from Holy Loch to Loch Eck, where after a week of walking in the area our tent was flattened by the wind. Then on another visit for work, I flew into Glasgow, was driven to Prestwick airport where my visit was confined to one hangar talking to BAe stress engineers before being driven back to Glasgow airport.

I would love to visit the Highlands, but where we are in Kent, the Austrian Tyrol is no further away, more exotic and easier to get to, especially given the state of UK roads compared to the multiple alternatives in Europe. The last time we went to the Tyrol, we had more roadworks in the 40 miles between us & Dover than in the 600 miles between Calais and Austria.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I love love love Castles. i love the photos you posted. When my sister and I went to England and Wales we took in as many as we could. We didn't have time to add Scotland to the mix, but I so want to go back again. One day. I would like to have spent more time in the Cotswolds and definitely in the Lake District and ............... the list goes on!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

richardandtracy wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:41 am after a week of walking in the area our tent was flattened by the wind.
:lol: Yup. Happens all the time. Had the same experience back in the day walking the Lairig Gru in March. Not a good thing to do when underprepared, in the snow, but luckily we were directly by the Sullivan hut, so could go inside. Otherwise, I suspect we might have ended up as statistics... When I look at it now on a map, it's "only" just over 8 miles of stiff walking, but oh, boy. Not in March!

Some of our roads are better than others (and there are various reasons to explain that)... but the Dover route does get an awful pounding. Elder Son's gal lives in Dover (don't ask), and it's no wonder she prefers to visit here than have him go down!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

You were lucky to have that hut available - or possibly slightly less prepared than you thought having taken a route that passed one..

The few roads I have travelled on in Scotland have been similar in quality to those in N England - in a much better state than the over-used roads round here.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

No, it was luck, although my companion knew it was there. Guardian Angels worked overtime that day. The weather continued to deteriorate, so we walked back out to Aviemore and toured the country on the train with our student rail cards (remember them?).