2023 Quick Daily Posts

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Re: 2023 Quick Daily Posts

Post by rcperryls »

I am continuously amazed at how the hospital in your area operates as in administering health care. I'm guessing its the only one available in your area. No matter how good a hospital is, recovering at home is usually the best option (not always, but often). At least you will know where to find Enya and she will probably get a quicker response from her caretakers. wishing her a speedy recovery.

Hope your father manages well in the nursing home. That can be a difficult transition, but again, often the best one. My most sincere hope is that you and your family will have a very boring year in 2024.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

So glad she home safe and sound and that things went well. And as Serinde says, a big decision about your father - may you and he have peace about it.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Carole,

The 'advantage' of state provision of healthcare is that you do not need to be bothered with problematic things like 'choice' in where you go for your care. Round here there is really only one main hospital & all hospital treatment for close on to 432,000 people (population of Medway & Swale boroughs) is at the one hospital. It does have a few of its satellite community hospitals - all of which are nurse based units with a doctor coming in for visits on a daily basis but without an MD permanently on site. The hospital is 10-11 miles from us, so geographically it makes sense, though it is regularly (say 10 times a week, making journey planning important) 1.5 hours away when the traffic snarls up in the rush. On Tuesday, it took us just under an hour to get Enya there.

When that hospital can't cope with a problem, patients are usually sent to Kings College Hospital (KCH) in London, which (on a good day) is 45-ish miles and 1.5-2 hours away by train. On a bad day, KCH could just as well be on the other side of the moon.

Alternative big hospitals for us are Maidstone, Ashford & Canterbury, all of which are further away and except for Maidstone are even harder to get to. None of those are without their own problems too. It's great really.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Really pleased with the progress my crewelwork students are making! Most of them have finished the little owl that was their first project, and they are making great strides with their Jacobean piece.

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: The teacher must be really really good for the students to be making such lovely progress.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

My thoughts exactly. :applesauce:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

rcperryls wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:08 am :applesauce: The teacher must be really really good for the students to be making such lovely progress.

Carole
Didn't we just know it!!

Ever thought of doing a class here, North of the Border? :thinks: :D
Mabel Figworthy

Well, once we are finally retired I'm hoping to perhaps teach some classes in other places and make a holiday of it, so suggestions are welcome!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Charleston, South Carolina, USA

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I thought that after I had the last eye surgery for that puckered membrane, my sight would have improved (even though the doctor said it probably wouldn't but needed to be done before the cataract surgery. But it didn't. However I have an appointment Tuesday with my eye doctor and hope to be able to schedule the cataract surgery sooner rather than later. My fingers are itching to get back to it, but even with the magnilight it strains my eye. I've been playing too many games on my iPhone and iPad. And every time I see Jo's beautiful TW piece I want to not only get back to my HAED pieces but the afghan I haven't finished for my son. Will keep you all updated. One of the real disadvantages of getting older is Cataracts. But everyone I know who has had the surgery done is delighted. I think it depends on if she thinks my eye has healed enough, though the retina surgeon said it has, and what kind of schedule she has. Keep your fingers crossed.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Mabel Figworthy

rcperryls wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:31 pm Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Hmm, perhaps for a very very special holiday!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

Hope your eye will prove to have healed enough and you'll soon get those cataracts seen to!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

Look what DH has given me as an early Christmas present! It's another online course like the Box-making one. (Had to get it now as it was 20% off in their Black Friday sale....)
https://www.rsnonlinecourses.com/collec ... lk-shading

WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Wow! How thoughtful!
fccs

Post by fccs »

Serinde wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:54 pm Wow! How thoughtful!
I agree. And it’s going to be beautiful under your talented hands, needle, and thread.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Today we celebrate Thanksgiving. Only one of the desserts and the turkey left to cook. Today is also DH's Official Special-Birthday-with-a-Zero (actually on the 30th), so friends are coming over in the evening, and -- way-hey! -- we start again... It's been fairly non-stop since Wednesday (well apart from Thursday which was my birthday and I should have been cleaning silver, as you do; I did not). Only 8 people around the table (instead of14) so that's good, especially as one can never be sure of the turkey size before it comes (turkeys are for Christmas in the UK, and Thanksgiving doesn't exist), and this one is on the petite side. Just means it'll fit in the oven more easily! :lol: Luckily, one of the aforementioned neighbours, herself a semi-pro baker, is making the birthday cake to be unveiled later. I think it'll work...
Mabel Figworthy

What a lot of celebrations going on in your life at the moment Serinde - Happy all of them!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Well now! You said that November was going to be a Busy Month!!
You weren't kidding Girl!! :lol:

Do try to take a few wee moments for Yourself, won't you!
There's a Quiet Corner in the S&G especially for such. Calming and Soothing beverages too! :D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Good idea, WW!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Here's hoping that everything worked out for you, Serinde, and you have a little bit of time to reset yourself before Christmas which I'm sure gets fairly frantic.
Are you one of the few who celebrate Thanksgiving in your area? Does it feel strange or homey? We had a lovely one which was on the relatively quiet side until my grandson showed up with my 9 y.o. and 2 1/2 y.o. granddaughters, which definitely livened everything up.

Yesterday I had my pre cataract pre cataract surgery session at the eye doctor which involved lots of tests and measurements etc. Next Wednesday is the pre surgery check which is more of the same. My right eye has really changed in the last year and a half and I am so hoping that it won't be long before surgery can be scheduled. I was so hoping (might be repeating myself) that the last surgery would help, but what has been happening is that it is much harder to see small things (like you need to for cross stitch) even with the magnilight. I can't remember the last time I went this long without stitching and it does not make me happy. So, hopefully it won't be long, mostly depending on the doctor's schedule. Will keep you all updated. I think I'm not posting as much because I'm a bit jealous when I see the beautiful things y'all are doing. I can't wait to start giving updates, not just commenting on them.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat