Serindë's 2023 Stitching Adventure 19 December

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Serinde

Serindë's 2023 Stitching Adventure 19 December

Post by Serinde »

Well, the Winter Cottage didn't get finished, but I am now on the roof! (Dunno why the image is so pixilated, but you get the idea.)

Steam.Jo

Re: Serindë's 2023 Stitching Adventure 1 Jan

Post by Steam.Jo »

Nice :applesauce:

The pic looks ok to me

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Thanks! This is the last part using DMC 3361, and I'm hoping I have just enough... However I do need to make an eye appointment, and there is a LNS not to far from the practice office so I could actually buy more when I inevitably run out! So I view that as not a disaster in the making. :P
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

the pic looks good to me too. I think it is going to be so beautiful. Having to run into a LNS for any reason (having to get more thread so you don't run out is a must) and knowing that you will maintain control as you browse through the store and not get anything else (unless of course you remember other critical needs you have now or will have in the future) prevents disaster. However, remember that since you must get your eyes checked and the LNS is nearby you are saving gas (petrol?) by combining the trips into one and being environmentally conscious at the same time.

Carole
:roll:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

My thoughts exactly! :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Looking forward to the final construction of this little house.

Hope you can pick up the required floss.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Pemberton's in Stirling will fit the bill very well indeed. :idea:
Serinde

Re: Serindë's 2023 Stitching Adventure 10 Jan

Post by Serinde »

Trials with my DeVere 60s silk. It is about the size of 5 DMC threads, can be untwisted to give 2 groups of 5 threads (each single thread of which is 120 denier, about ½ the size of a single DMC thread). This was done on Kingston linen, the finest I could quickly find. The top group is split, outline and chain all done with the entire silk thread. So is the laid and couched bit. The bottom group has the outline, chain and split stitches are done with 3 threads (of the 10), and the laid and couched done with 5 for the laid threads and 2 for couching.

The length of the top split stitch is 2.1cm. The bottom laid and couched bit is 1cm wide.

The thread does take some getting used to. Apart from being gloriously beautiful and lustrous, it does have a mind of its own. It needs respect, I guess.

I did use two methods with the split stitch, the medieval way (typical way, from the bottom) and the Trish Burr way (from the top), Can you tell the difference? Would it matter?

I also have to continue to experiment with even weave fabric. 20ct, 28ct and 32ct were too coarse for this silk (and don't even mention 24ct Congress Cloth :shock: ), they all pulled the silk something rotten. But as the original idea behind getting 60s was so as to use it for hardanger, I hope to figure it out. Perhaps 22ct?

fccs

Post by fccs »

That’s a beautiful fiber!!! I don’t think I’d have the patience to try all the different stitches and fabrics…but it is the smartest thing to do, so yay you! :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

The sheen on those threads!... Looks like liquid copper. :wub:

Wow!
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Oh my gosh, those threads are gorgeous, and all the different stitches still show the lustre of the thread.

How do you keep yourself from stroking them over and over?
Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

That looks a very different thread to work than standard cotton embroidery thread :shock: I am pleased you are taking your time to understand it as it looks like a thread that is worth the effort and once you master it will be a favourite to work with. :)

The three strand split stitch seems to have worked best. It will be interesting to see how single strand and two strands work. How easy is it to get to lay right? There does not seem to be much of a twist in the strands. :thinks:

Jo

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

WOW!! I agree with all the above. What count is the linen that you stitched this on? Were the fabrics too coarse or just the holes too small to draw the thread(s) through? I'm not very good at choosing between fabrics when I have to make a decision. I usually know what I don't like, but not always what is best.

And I also wonder how you can keep yourself from stroking those beautiful threads.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

It is this shiny. :D Filament silk is more-or-less straight off the cocoon, so has different properties to the more common twisted silks I've used before.This example was stitched on Kingston linen, so about 40ct.

As Carole suggests I'm going to strip a length of silk and see how a 5-strand length behaves with some of my other linen.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Looks gorgeous! And yes, filament silk has a mind and a life of its own, and it can be a real mary Mary Quite Contrary
The split threads seem to give a tidier result than the whole threads, but the sheen is glorious in both.

About the two versions of split stitch (strictly speaking split stitch vs split backstitch), there are a couple of differences in the way they behave. If you are trying to create a very even line, split stitch generally works better because each stitch doesn't "dent" the previous stitch but puffs it up. And split backstitch takes much, much more thread.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

How very interesting! Thanks, Mabel -- puffy is what's wanted, I think. And yes, back stitch always uses a shedload of thread -- not necessarily something I want to do with this silk. Can't begin to tell you how beautiful it is... and the fact that it splits down so easily is a bonus.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Getting on, finally. Now for cutting out and construction.

Steam.Jo

Re: Serindë's 2023 Stitching Adventure 5 Mar

Post by Steam.Jo »

Looking forward to seeing it come together. :)

Jo

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Looks very festive, it'll make a great decoration when assembled!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

That is going to be so great when put together. Do you cut extra fabric around the stitched pieces? It's hard for me to imagine how you do this. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat