How do you organize your floss?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

MaggieM1750

Re: How do you organize your floss?

Post by MaggieM1750 »

My obnoxious pink stitch bag is a Thirty One tote. They don't make it anymore. I think it was just called their medium tote. It's a bit bigger than a grocery bag. Love it. I have it with me every day. My projects lay flat and it holds a lot of stuff. I bought an organizing tote with the pockets on the outside to separate my hardanger projects from my cross stitch projects.
jewel

Post by jewel »

I love the system I use.... I bought the small ziplock plastic bags (not sure of brand) that have 2 holes on each side of the bottom. Rings are put into both holes so it works like a rolodex and is easy to sort and flip thru. I don't have to unwind any skeins, they just go into the bag, labeled with the number and put in order. My favorite time saving tip: When working on a large project and you've temporarily finished with a color and still have thread on the needle, open the bag and on the INSIDE put the needle thru the back of the bag so it holds it in place. Now the needle is ready for the next time that color is needed! Just remember to zip up the bag when finished so thread doesn't fall out!
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

I just have my DMC floss wrapped on cardboard cards, on which I've written the number in ink. I once tried some of the plastic cards with the DMC numbers on pre-printed stickers, but the stickers were always coming off and I didn't like the way the plastic cards looked, so I re-wrapped the floss back on the cardboard.

I've got lots of metallic thread bobbins and little bead containers, so they are in my last plastic caddy. Or, at least it was my last one until I started gathering up supplies for my next project, an SQ map with 138 different colors, many of which have multiple skeins, so I picked up three more caddies and lots of cards ready for my floss, which my mom is mailing to me since the AC Moore store near her was having a 4/$1 sale on DMC (thanks, Mom!).

That project is going to take a year, at least, so I won't bother looking around for more floss until I finish that one off and see what I'm going to need for my next project (I only work on one at a time, usually!).
LaurenR

Post by LaurenR »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm in complete shock that many of you save the pieces of thread leftover from a project!

I just recently found stitch bows (and LOVE THEM- i hated winding bobbins) but i dont save the leftover thread from a project. I put my colors on a project card a snip at a time. When the project is done i throw out hte card and any left over strands.

Maybe it helps that i stitch over 1 with one thread but i am convinced this is the cheapest hobby on the planet.
karenstitches

Re: Adventures in Bobbinating (was: organizing floss)

Post by karenstitches »

So I've been bobbinating now for several weeks. It takes a long time to wrap 434 skeins onto bobbins, but I find the practice relaxing in itself, so I'm not rushing. I've learned something interesting:

DMC skeins are branded by at least two companies: Moulin Special, and Janlynn. The "official" skeins I received in the full DMC set are Moulin Special, so apparently that is DMC's official label. I made the mistake, however, because I didn't know the difference at the time, of throwing some skeins I already had into the pot before I started sorting and bobbinating. Then, when I compared skeins to DMC's official color/number chart, I had some skeins that were not the color the chart said, or used numbers that weren't even on the chart.

That's when I figured out what was going on, sorted out all the Janlynn labels, and set them aside, and continued bobbinating the real skeins.

Janlynn has does something very sneaky: using the same DMC number for a totally different color. I don't know why DMC would allow this.

So my advice to anyone who decides to go for the full set is this: Don't combine your existing skeins with the official set until you've matched those of the full set to the official chart. Then I would check for real duplicates, add those in to the full set, and store them. THEN I would store and label separately those skeins you might have had from a different label.

Also, if you bobbinate, label each bobbin with the color number in permanent marker. It won't rub off the plastic, and it's easier to read than the labels.

Complicated, isn't it??? :ratherbe:
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

karenstitches, do the Janlynn flosses have the same type of label that the Moulin ones do--you know, the mostly black papers that wrap around the skeins? Those are the ones I buy at the stores, and I'm hoping that they are the "official" ones with the right numbers!
karenstitches

Post by karenstitches »

Kathy, the labels look similar. But you can tell by looking at the band on one end of the skein--the band without the DMC number. For Janlynn, it'll say Janlynn there. For the legit ones, it'll say Moulin Special.

I'm not sure if Moulin Special is the only legitimate label for DMC floss; there might be others. But I know for sure it is A legitimate one. :)
elenmirie

Post by elenmirie »

This thread is really informative, thanks all for sharing. The info about Jannlyn v Moulin DMC is v. useful; I didn't have a clue about that.

Here's my contribution:

I bobbinate (paper bobbins labelled with DMC number in pen), store everything in numerical order in those plastic boxes, leaving extra space for when I fill in gaps or get duplicates. If things get too crowded I re-organise it so that there is extra space again. All floss gets bobbinated ASAP after I get it, as I am not capable of remembering what I've got in a pile of skeins and will usually re-buy things I already have.

For projects, I make a separate plastic box full of all the colours I need for the project. Usually one of each, so I will go back to the "thread library" if I need more than one skein.

I cut all threads the same length, using a piece of string for a measure (it is 20" long.) This helps a lot with tweeded threads that are everywhere in TW designs.

I use a Pako to keep partially used and pre-prepared threads - again this really helps when there is a lot of tweeding. I've numbered the slots on the Pako (1-50) and write the number of the slot onto the colour/symbol list on my working copy (so I don't have to copy symbols onto the Pako, and it also lets me repurpose slots when required.) Sometimes I put more than one colour in a Pako slot, I just make sure that there is a clear contrast so I won't get mixed up.

Since packing a Pako is like trying to shrink-wrap a porcupine, when travelling I have a little pincushion that's divided into 6 sections, which I've labelled 1-6 (in a fit of originality). I try to work on a part of the design that has a limited number of colours, and organise them using the pincushion like a mini-Pako.

I recently bought a kit (unusually) and was flummoxed at first how to manage the floss that came on cards, but I ended up bobbinating the metre-long bits. When I go to use them I cut them in half, which is roughly the same length as my standard. All the lengths are not the same so I have to trim some when tweeding. So far that is working fine.

I think that's about it! Hope this is helpful
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

karenstitches wrote: Also, if you bobbinate, label each bobbin with the color number in permanent marker. It won't rub off the plastic, and it's easier to read than the labels.

Complicated, isn't it??? :ratherbe:

karenstitches, I find that if I cut the DMC number from the label and then tape it to the plastic bobbin the number will stay for ages and ages!! I make sure to trim neatly around the number, so it's nice and small and then I tape so that the tape itself covers both sides of the bobbin. I usually make the tape long enough to go midway down the bobbin, and the ends of the tape end up covered by the floss when I wind it :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

LadyS

Post by LadyS »

So far my DMC label stickers aren't giving me any issues, but if they do, I'll do what Karen does with the stickers themselves. That's what I used to do with my Anchor threads, cut the numbers and tape them to the bobbin. Those stayed on for decades!
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

For those losing track of which DMC colors, they have a checklist of all their thread, separated by type. I got mine next to a tread display but its also available for download from their website. I keep mine in the front of my thread binder and look through that when kitting and shopping.
Rose

Post by Rose »

karenstitches, I find that if I cut the DMC number from the label and then tape it to the plastic bobbin the number will stay for ages and ages!! I make sure to trim neatly around the number, so it's nice and small and then I tape so that the tape itself covers both sides of the bobbin. I usually make the tape long enough to go midway down the bobbin, and the ends of the tape end up covered by the floss when I wind it :)
This is exactly what I do!!!!!! Great minds!!!!!!!
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
jewel

Post by jewel »

When I first started xstiching years ago before bobbins and plastic bags, I put all my floss in individual small white envelopes with the flaps closed to the inside, the outside labeled with a black sharpie and put in order by number. I would pull the envelopes when I did a project and kept them in a smaller 4x6 index card box with small scissors and needles.

I tried to use the bobbins, but it was way too time consuming for me and I found the skeins easier to pull the length of thread I need than to unwind a bobbin. So I went back to the envelopes but NOW when I do a project, I pull out the skeins needed and put them in plastic bags with 2 holes in the bottom on rings. For some reason the bags they sell now only have 1 hole (why did they do that!?!) so I use a punch and make the other hole. When I'm finished with the project the plastic bags go BACK into my white envelopes which stack up better than the bags do!! All organized and easy to find the numbers I need!! Not a good system if you need to choose your own colors though, it's hard to see them in the envelopes :\ I rarely have to do that, so this system works great for me.

Haven't tried the binders yet, but sounds like many are not satisfied with them anyway :)
becky41030

Post by becky41030 »

I just came across your envelope strategy for the first time in a beginner's crossstitch book yesterday. lol But I do want to ask what you use the 2nd hole in the plastic bag for?

Becky
jewel

Post by jewel »

The holes are in the bottom of the plastic bag and having 2 holes, one in each corner with rings thru them keeps them more secure and easier to flip thru the colors. It's similar to those old rolodex files that you flip thru the cards on. Also, and this is hard to explain, the bag I'm currently using stands up on the other bags and leans against the edge of my basket so I can reach in an take out/put away floss. In a previous post I also said that I store my needle with thread not used on the inside of the bag secured to the back (it makes holes in the bag but I just put the needle back into the same holes). I almost always have a needle ready with thread on it when I change my color....Love it!
becky41030

Post by becky41030 »

I think that's very clever! Thanks for the explanation.
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

jewel wrote: When I'm finished with the project the plastic bags go BACK into my white envelopes which stack up better than the bags do!!
I use the "floss away" baggies and then use a index card inside to make the bag "firmer" and write the number on the card. I think have them in numerical order in those plastic store bought shoe boxes. Takes up some space but it works. I have found though that one of the store brands..either hobby lobby...or joanns has a store brand of the same baggies and they have the two holes and the 3x5 index card fits perfect!! With my "floss away" brand ones...the whole bag is 3x5 instead of the inside of the bag...which means I have to trim my index card just a little.
jewel

Post by jewel »

Good idea with the index cards! I like that, and then you can reuse the plastic bags with other colors, and even see the colors better. I'll have to try it! Thank for the idea!
kakkikak

Post by kakkikak »

maemae0410 wrote:
jewel wrote: When I'm finished with the project the plastic bags go BACK into my white envelopes which stack up better than the bags do!!
I use the "floss away" baggies and then use a index card inside to make the bag "firmer" and write the number on the card. I think have them in numerical order in those plastic store bought shoe boxes.
I use this method for my overdyed threads. It makes it much easier to find the color I'm looking for. I have been using Stitchbows for DMC now for a couple of years. I also have bags of extra DMC that I keep in numerical bunches (all of the 300s, 500s, etc. in a there own baggies).
kakkikak

Post by kakkikak »

Mystonique wrote:I'm really surprised at how few people seem to use Stitch Bows. I love them.
I agree. I love my StitchBows. For my BAP I have binders that are devoted to the threads for just that project. I also have three 5" binders whose sole purpose is to hold the complete DMC line (I also have a box of baggies with extra colors). It is very easy to pop the thread on the StitchBows and since they are approx 6 inches long it is easy for me to have a rough idea of how much thread I want to snip off. I usually do 3 complete unwinds because I use the loop method when stitching with two threads. If stitching with 1 thread I only unwind about 1 to 1 1/2. If you haven't used StitchBows that sounds a little confusing but then once you see how the thread lays on the StitchBow it kinda makes sense. I also like the fact that you don't get the indentations on the thread that you end up getting with bobbins even though I know the marks don't effect the stitching.