Knitting anyone?

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Diane C

Knitting anyone?

Post by Diane C »

Hi I am an avid knitter and own a online shop called Peggys Knits - I am currentely making some socks for my mum's 60th next month - if you knit what are you working on at the moment?
helbel

Re: Knitting anyone?

Post by helbel »

Not a knitter myself but if you are then Ravelry seems to be the place to go. It's very popular with all my knitting friends.
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

Hi Diane,
I am knitting myself an aran cardigan just now plus another cardigan in the new Crofter wool. I also take orders for large circular baby shawls and have two to do, and I cross stitch of course and am a test stitcher to boot, in other words - I love me stitching and knitting. Hope you get your other sock done in time and I will check out your web site.
Happy stitching
Glen x
agi

Post by agi »

Hello, I knit too, atm I am knitting a pullover but it's been on hold for a few weeks now because of work and stitching.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

My mum is an amazing knitter and she taught me, although I've never really taken it up as a big time hobby, I'm more a dabbler.

I've knitted toys, baby clothes and jumpers for hubby.
The biggest and most complex thing I ever knitted was a big thick cardigan type jumper for hubby. It took ages and was pure wool. Sadly his skin was badly irritated by the wool and he had to stop wearing it.
We passed it onto a friend who valets cars for a living and is out in all weathers, he was really pleased of it as he said it's the warmest thing ever! (It's also the most expensive and most labour intensive ... but we won't go there! :x :lol: ).

I have just got the wool for a scarf for the winter, so we'll see if I get to start it!
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I want to knit myself a hat and matching scarf... That's easy right?
Faith
Kute Kitty

Post by Kute Kitty »

Nachstenliebe wrote:I want to knit myself a hat and matching scarf... That's easy right?
Faith
Scarves are easy, I've made a few for Christmas presents, it's just a straight line over and over again! (Boring, but easy!)
WIPs:
Snow Princess and the Polar Bear HAED

Plans:
Twinkle twinkle cushion for nephew's third birthday (September 2015)
Man U crests for husband and brother-in-law

Maureenl

Post by Maureenl »

I have just finished an aran for my friends grandaughter just to sew it up and find some nice buttons for it....mind my wrists are sore now as i havent knitted for a while :D
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

I too love to knit arans and would recommend that you look on this site for excellent yarn. I order all my aran wool from him and he is so helpful about making the amounts fit your needs if you e-mail him and tell him what you want.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kingcraig-Fabrics" target="_blank

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Tia

Post by Tia »

I am 'knitting' myself a pullover for the first time. I am using the Tunisian knit stitch which is done with a long afghan hook but the right side looks exactly like knitting. The reverse looks like purl and the fabric is thicker than knitting. I am using organic cotton in sage, pistachio, and light pink.

I also started a toddler pullover with regular knitting needles to learn how to knit a sweater and seam it all together. The tunisian one is done in the round.

I am Tia- on Ravelry.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I've never seen anything like that Tia (or I don't think I have :lol: ) do you have pictures you can show us please? :beg:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Catwoman

Post by Catwoman »

I knit - mostly things for the grandchildren - school cardigans, scarves and mittens.
french cat

Post by french cat »

:kitty: Ooooh yes I love knitting too. My last project was an Aran sweater for Godson Aaron !!! I'm just waiting for him to grow a bit bigger so I have an excuse to do another. I've never knitted a round shawl...is it difficult? What type of wool do you use for it ?
Tia

Post by Tia »

~threadbear~ wrote:I've never seen anything like that Tia (or I don't think I have :lol: ) do you have pictures you can show us please? :beg:
I don't have a pic yet of my sweater.

Here is a video of how to do the regular tunisian knit stitch with an afghan hook: http://revver.com/video/1207424/tunisia ... h-crochet/

Here is a video (in Japanese) of how to do tunisian in the round with a doubled-ended hook: http://www.clover.co.jp/movie/afuganbari.html This video is using the tunisian simple stitch, but their in-the-round technique can be used with any stitch.
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

I knit my baby shawls in baby 3ply, it takes 300 grms and they are knitted on a size 5.. circular knitting needle, then the 72 peaks round the outside are done on a pair of 5mm needles. They are easy to knit and so pretty when done.
Glen x
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Great video's, thanks for showing them.
Please do show a picture of your sweater when you can though, I'd love to see the effect of it.
:D

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I did a baby jacket in Tunisian work years ago -- oddly enough in Dutch it's known as Tunisian crochet rather than Tunisian knitting, probably because of the hook! I've still got one, might give it another try sometime -- I remember that because the stitches are actually square, you could do patterns using cross stitch charts.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've just picked up my knitting again.
I used to knit prodigiously when my daughter was small but in the past 12yrs it's been all cross stitch! :shock:
I can't knit holes though! All this knit one , slip one, pass slip stitch over has me looking under the carpet for lost stitches! I never get lacy patterns right and if I drop a stitch!!! WELL! that's me finished!
I've loads of wool stored and decided to get it out and knit again. Have just bought some new bamboo knitting needles from ebay seller (waiting for them to arrive)Mine were all bent and chewed by our old dog!
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/bamboo-and-fr ... X:SELLERID" target="_blank

and some wool from this seller.http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/kutvela&ssPag ... X:SELLERID" target="_blank" target= She's in Lithuania!
I'll let you all know what these are like! :D

I love knitting aran too! I shall book mark that seller Rosemary. :dance: Despite postage costs it looks a good buy! French wool shops are :shock: :shock: way too pricey!!
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

wendywombat wrote: I love knitting aran too! I shall book mark that seller Rosemary. :dance: Despite postage costs it looks a good buy! French wool shops are :shock: :shock: way too pricey!!
I found that when I contacted him to disguss my needs that the postage seemed to be a lot cheaper. For example he was advertising a 800 gram cone and I asked for 1200 grams but he did not increase the postage at all. Since my initial lot of wool I have e-mailed him direct and it has been well worthwhile.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Thanks Rosemary! That's worth knowing! :dance: :D