New Stash, or Old Stash First?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Play Outside

New Stash, or Old Stash First?

Post by Play Outside »

I've noticed that when sorting through my stash to find a new project, I tend to feel obligated to do the old stuff first. As excited as I am about the new stuff, it never seems fair to keep putting off the kits/charts that I like, and have had longest. (Yes, I do realize that I am talking about inanimate objects, just for the record)! Also, sometimes I just want the old stuff out of my basket, especially if they are gifts for someone else.

I was just wondering whether others do the same, or start their newest charts first?
Current WIP's:
Fall Lake (GK)
Crackling Silence (Mystic Stitch)
Hidden Spirits (Dimensions)
pamelam

Re: New Stash, or Old Stash First?

Post by pamelam »

Recently I dug out all my old wip's that only needed backstitching done and finished them. Now I only buy one kit or chart, work on that one, and only get another one when I'm almost finished with the current one. Otherwise I'm tempted to stop the one I'm doing and start another one.
Pam
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

I've found that I tend to be enthusiastic about starting new projects, even when a number of older ones still remain unfinished.
Yes I feel a certain amount of guilt at delaying other projects, but the excitement of starting a new one usually outweighs any guilty feelings :oops:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

See my Stitching Projects - LOTS of project pics updated 12 July '09

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I tend to work on only one project at a time, unless I get going on a large project, then I will alternate working on it and then go to a smaller project, so I don't get too bored. I've so much in my stash that I know won't get done in the near future, but does that keep me from buying new charts and fabrics?? NOOOOOOOOO :lol: :lol: :lol:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

*barb*

Post by *barb* »

If i have a kit and haven''t done it within a couple of years, i usually do a few at once, then i know the chances of it ever getting done aren''t high.

I have a few impulse purchases that i think may never get done. My tastes have changed since i bought them or i found something similar i liked better. :oops:
Current WIP's

* forever friends - "garden swing"
* Dimensions Gold "Four Seasons kittens"
* Dimensions Matted Accents "Kitten and Butterfly"
Angel

Post by Angel »

I do whichever I feel like. Sometimes it's the new stuff, sometimes it's the old stuff. See, I buy kits that I like, not necissarily ones that I have any plans for. So I do whichever I first have a use for.
Granny

Post by Granny »

I know my tastes change dramatically in relatively short periods of time so I know better than to stockpile. As a result there is nothing very old in my stash. About the only constant is the very realistic bird scenes.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
JenEric

Post by JenEric »

Most of my 'old' stuff is from when I was stitching 20 years ago as a teenager - needless to say, much of the unfinished pieces will likely never be finished - these will likely get tossed or donated (if condition is good) when I am ready to organize all of my stash.

Now for my 'newer old stuff' - I have a couple of kits purchased within the last 10 years - one is a Christmas tree skirt that I work on during some UFO sal's - and another Dimensions Gold kit that I still like - just not in the mood to stitch.

That brings me to the new stuff that is turning old. Last year, I finally purchased some patterns for me - and 4 for gifts - I have finished three of the gifts and in that time discovered HAED (thanks to the enablers on this forum of course - love you guys!) - purchased another for me and another as a gift for my mom (as I realized I am gifting to others, but nothing to her so far). I am currently working on the gift for her.

Hubby bought me some nice small projects that I have been wanting - I can squeeze those in when I need a 'finish' or need to see good progress.

I have my eye on a few Mystic Stitch patterns - but I am holding out until I can finish at least one large piece for me! Sorry for the long rambling post - must be feeling chatty today.
WIPS
HAED - Queen of Hearts
Spring Queen - making good progress

Finishes
Summer Queen
2013 and prior
Winter Queen, Royal Holiday Queen, Clock Fractal, Welcome Almanac, HAED Witching Hour
vickih

Post by vickih »

i tend todo the ones i like first but i have just just started a westie one then my grandad has gave me all my nans so i have loads to do and want to do loads of the kits and charts that were hers
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I'd just do the one that jumped out at me, old or new. It's all about enjoying what you're stitching, so don't feel guilty if you go for the new. The old might jump out at you another time. :)
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

I tend to be a one project at a time girl, though given my afghan isn't very transportable, I do have an ongoing travelling project as well at the moment. I do big projects mainly so I don't store up a lot of charts/kits and I have a plan of what I will do next. It's only adjusted if, like with the afghan, I need to do something sooner to meet a deadline for a gift. At the moment, I have the next two big projects after my travelling project and afghan lined up with a planned slot for some Christmas cards later in the year. :D
kell

Post by kell »

I tend to have quite a few on the go at any given time. I start whatever takes my fancy, but I have a small number of stitsh-alongs and exchanges to work on too, so I tend to do them first and then go back to the slightly larger projects in between. I'm being quite strict with myself this year though and have imposed a "stitching Schedule" on myseld, where I work on certain things at certain times:

Each month:
* 1st – 7th of each month: UFO week
* 8th – 14th of each month: Biscornu week
* 15th – 21st of each month: Whatever takes my fancy
* 22nd – 28th of each month: Xmas card week
* Remaining days of each month: Whatever takes my fancy

This way I have variety to keep me from ever getting bored, but I also finish the projects I've committed to for certain dates.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh wow Kell, you are so good! I just couldn't be that disciplined with my stitching, much as I'd like to. It must be brilliant if you can though.
:applesauce: :applesauce:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
socialsue

Post by socialsue »

I alternate between old and new to keep my motivation going.....it is fun for me to stitch different designs as I go along..... I tend to finish my projects by rotation.

socialsue
Kute Kitty

Post by Kute Kitty »

I've been rooting through some of my charts over the weekend to make up a "to-do" file and have found that there are some older ones that I'm keen to do now, having said which the one I've just started is from the latest WOXS! I'm terrible, the next new and shiny thing to come along distracts me far too easily. I've got a few kits (mostly from magazines) that I'm not going to do but I've found someone at work who is collecting any kind of craft items for patient activities in a mental health ward, so I'm sending them through to her, along with the left over wool from my gingerbread house.

Now that I've cancelled my magazine subscriptions I'm hoping I'll go back over my older stash and get through things rather than have them sitting in my stash cabinet forever. I must post pictures of my stash cabinet, too, it's so wonderful!
WIPs:
Snow Princess and the Polar Bear HAED

Plans:
Twinkle twinkle cushion for nephew's third birthday (September 2015)
Man U crests for husband and brother-in-law

Catwoman

Post by Catwoman »

I too have been having a sort out this weekend and although I have 3 projects on the go at the moment, I am very tempted to start a Needle & Olive sampler I have had for a while. :roll: