Baby knitting

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

minij

Baby knitting

Post by minij »

As well as cross stitch I also do a bit of knitting, here is a pic of a baby crib/pram cover I knitted. It's for my son's, fiance's, sister, baby is due middle of Feb and I have nearly finished the baby sampler, just waiting for baby now
karen4bells

Re: Baby knitting

Post by karen4bells »

:dance: what a lovely baby afghan!! Nice work!! :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

SusanF

Post by SusanF »

Oh that is stunning - I'm sure it will be really treasured. Beautiful work Janet :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

Your pram cover is adorable, are you going to maybe put some rosebuds or bows in the middle of the leaves to match the colour of the pram? I did that one years ago for my niece, and guess what? She has just told us that she is having a baby in August and can I knit her a baby shawl and a pram cover, and stitch a Winnie the Pooh afghan? Well of course I will and some baby clothes and I know which pram cover I will be knitting and hope it turns out as lovely as your one.
Glen x
ERICSMUM

Post by ERICSMUM »

I knitted baby outfits for all 5 of my nieces and nephews in the 1980's but hand-knits just don't seem fashionable nowadays. It's a shame as I loved knitting small things but nobody wants them !

Linda :lol:
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

It's gorgeous!
:applesauce: :applesauce:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Happy Stitcher

Post by Happy Stitcher »

That's really lovely!! :D :applesauce: :applesauce:

Sue :)

Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

That's beautiful and I'm sure it will be treasured :wub:
ERICSMUM wrote:I knitted baby outfits for all 5 of my nieces and nephews in the 1980's but hand-knits just don't seem fashionable nowadays. It's a shame as I loved knitting small things but nobody wants them !

That's a shame Linda. My MIL knits and so does one of my friends and they do a lot of baby knitting for friends and family - if we're fortunate enough to start a family, I can't wait to choose colours and patterns for MIL to knit.
minij

Post by minij »

Glen I am not planning on putting rosebuds or bows etc on it firstly we don't know if it's a boy or girl and don't want it too fussy if it's a boy, secondly as I don't know how long the parents will use it for I am always scared of things on baby items that can be pulled of or put in mouths after all as baby gets older it could become their 'blanky' that some children have.

Linda I have spoken to a few young Mums and it seems hand knitting is coming back in fashion a bit.
silviaciuchi

Post by silviaciuchi »

Lessa54 wrote:That's beautiful and I'm sure it will be treasured :wub:
ERICSMUM wrote:I knitted baby outfits for all 5 of my nieces and nephews in the 1980's but hand-knits just don't seem fashionable nowadays. It's a shame as I loved knitting small things but nobody wants them !

That's a shame Linda. My MIL knits and so does one of my friends and they do a lot of baby knitting for friends and family - if we're fortunate enough to start a family, I can't wait to choose colours and patterns for MIL to knit.
Yes, knitting has gone out of fashion, but then we LOVE being out of fashion. It's all about personality and good taste. I'm sad, too when I see popular crafts fall into disuse, so I consider myself lucky to be able to do things that others don't even have a chance to try.
- SILVIA -
"To the extent that this world surrenders its richness & diversity, it surrenders its poetry. To the extent that it relinquishes its capacity to surprise, it relinquishes its magic"
silviaciuchi

Post by silviaciuchi »

And you call this a bit of knitting?
I'd call it a masterpiece! You're very good at knitting, congratulations.
- SILVIA -
"To the extent that this world surrenders its richness & diversity, it surrenders its poetry. To the extent that it relinquishes its capacity to surprise, it relinquishes its magic"
Catwoman

Post by Catwoman »

Superb! I made one of those for my daughter but it didn't look half as nice as yours! Well done. :applesauce: :applesauce:
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

That is one of the most beautiful coverlets I've ever seen! I knitted a little blanket when I was expecting my daughter, but it's not near as lovely. What pattern did you use?
Pam
Lizzy

Post by Lizzy »

Its gorgeous :applesauce:
maggs

Post by maggs »

Lovely pattern Janet. What sort of pattern iis it? Did it take long?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

That's so beautiful. :applesauce:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
meerkat

Post by meerkat »

It certainly is gorgeous :applesauce: :applesauce:
:ratherbe:
:tea: :cake:
minij

Post by minij »

Thanks for all your kind comments, I really enjoyed knitting it

Pam and Maggs, I think it was a Sirdar pattern but I can't check at the momnent as my Mum has borrowed it as she is making two for a friend who is expecting twins.

Maggs You knit 48 squares, each one you start in the corner with 3 stitches, working pattern (I think there were 40 rows to the pattern but only a few stitches) increase to 23 stitches and then back down to 3. You then sew 4 squares together so that the leaf bit is in the centre and then sew the bigger squares together. Then when they are all sewn together you knit a border long enought to sew all the way round. I just found that I needed to either sit and stitch a square which didn't take long or keep a note of what row I had done.

This wasn't the pattern but it looks the same
http://www.mcadirect.com/shop/patons-pa ... -2394.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

Minij: that looks gorgeous! I envy your skills! If you saw the mess I make when I knit, you'd pass out of pure shock.
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
Jaki :)

Post by Jaki :) »

It's gorgeous :applesauce: :applesauce:
Jaki x

2012 WIP Gothic fairy

2012 Finishes...Sara Moon