Need some advice please (let down again)

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Dawn

Need some advice please (let down again)

Post by Dawn »

I'm sorry I've not been around much of late but with my wrist being broken and working stupidly hard (even with a broken wrist) I've not had alot of net time or a stitchy bug. So can I just say a belated congrats on any posting milestones congrats on any finishes hello to any newbies and I promise to check out all the new wips very soon :)

Anyway here's my dilema. As you know I work in a nursing home and I'm currently studying for my level 3 health and social care qualification (I'm finished just waiting for my tutor to come along and do my final assessment/observation) anyway before christmas work promised me a full time job but it fell through as they couldn't afford any new full time staff members they then procceded to take on 4 new staff members. I just carried on as I love my job and then last week there was a serious incident and I placed a formal complaint about a nurse and I'm waiting to hear the outcome of it.

Last night the manager came and offered me a full time post doing the late and night shifts so I guess my question is are they just offering me the post to get me to withdraw my complaint or is it a genuine offer as I work hard and always make myself available to them when they need me to do a shift even at 10 minutes notice sometimes.

I have recieved a few compliments on my work and they know I will do any job they put in front of me and if I make a complaint its for a very good reason. I get on well with the manager he even helped me recently with a presentation and another unit I was struggling with and has offered to help me fill in my ucas (uni application form) and offered himself as a reference for it. I just have this small nagging doubt in the backof my mind its just a offer to shut me up if you know what I mean?

Any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by Dawn on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
stitchingmae

Re: Need some advice please

Post by stitchingmae »

i would assume if they did not mention the complaint in the meeting about the full time offer that it would be just an offer. Usually c/o are noted and they investigate....i dont know the situation though but i would assume if the complaint was not mentioned it has nothing to do with you getting the full time position and i would be shocked if the company was BRIBING you!
Midge

Post by Midge »

They cannot offer you a job on that basis Dawn, there are employment laws they have to abide by.
If you love the job and want to do permanant lates/nights then go for it.
Maybe the offer came because the manager respects the fact that you have got the guts to stand up for what is right.
As a former nurse, it shocks and infuriates me to hear that some of us in the "profession" are so slack, uncaring, unprofessional and downright cruel in some cases.
Keep on doing what you are doing so well. You would have had a job on my ward, I always hunted out those nurses who went above and beyond to do their job.
Don't beat yourself up, take the job and glory in those compliments.
H x
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
Kute Kitty

Post by Kute Kitty »

i'd say it's a genuine offer, your manager clearly thinks highly of you and I can't see someone like that trying to bribe you. Well done Dawn!
WIPs:
Snow Princess and the Polar Bear HAED

Plans:
Twinkle twinkle cushion for nephew's third birthday (September 2015)
Man U crests for husband and brother-in-law

SusanF

Post by SusanF »

I'd have thought if there was a problem with you making a complaint they would be looking to get you out rather than offering you a job. So I think if it's what you are looking for, go for it and assume it's for merit rather than bribery. It sounds to me like the manager thinks well of you. Best of luck Dawn :x: :x: :x:
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
Angel

Post by Angel »

It doesn't sound like it's about the complaint. Don't withdraw and accept it. It could be that they appreciate the complaint, from what I know, the punishment the authorities deal on the homes is a lot heavier than the punishment on the individuals. So it's in their best interests to deal with your complaint.
maggs

Post by maggs »

Dawn I would take it as a geniune offer. Well done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I can see how you might want to connect the two situations, but I honestly think that if you're working harding and are good what you do, you should feel you're being offered this position on your own merit..
Faith
Rose

Post by Rose »

I would not connect the complaint and the offer unless they had made noises about the one only happening if the other was removed. Since that did not happen I think you are makiing to much about it. I would say that the offer was made because previously they had offered to put you on full time and now this has opened up and they are giving you the first option to accept it.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Unanimity. Goodness! I agree, too, with all of the above. If you love the job, and you are obviously good at it, diligent and trustworthy, and the hours aren't going to put you off, then there is no doubt you should take it.

I also agree it is a separate issue from the complaint. No institution would dare not investigate a complaint these days (thank goodness). You are protecting not only the folk, but also the owners of the nursing home. Don't withdraw it.
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

The complaint and the offer could be loosely conected but not in a negative way. By making the complaint you have proved that you are vigilent, caring and will not tolerate incorrect behaviour or lack of professionalism from others. This makes you a very trustworthy member of staff so they will want to hang on to you, you being a willing, thoughtful and hard worker is a bonus to the nursing home. So to my way of thinking your hard work, flexibility and adherring to human and institutional rules is why they have offered you the permanent job.

Accept the job, be honoured that they have offered it to you and stop looking for the negative in it.

GOOD LUCK for the future.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Catwoman

Post by Catwoman »

I agree with what everyone else has said. I feel that the job offer was genuine and you are obviously highly thought of, especially by your manager. Congratulations and well done!
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

I agree with all of the above.

If you're happy with the shift allocations, go for it and many congratulations and best wishes for the future. :applesauce:
dollystitcher

Post by dollystitcher »

I can only agree with all thats been said alaready and add congratulations and best wishes. It sounds like a genuine affer to me Dawn so well done. :applesauce: :applesauce:
Lynne
WIP
Woodland Enchantress
Leonardo
Ice Dragon King(HAED)
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hope all goes well Dawn. Sounds to me like they know what a treasure they have in you and are showing that appreciation.
:hug:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Dawn

Re: Need some advice please (I knew there was a catch)!

Post by Dawn »

As is always the case with me and working situations theres a ccatch :( The late shift hours is actually only for maternity cover so when they lady on leave returns I will go from 39hrs a week to 22.

I've told the manager that its too big a drop in hours and I'm not willing to loose so much I've asked for a promise (on paper) that my hours will be the same when she returns even if it means me moving to a different shift. He's agreed so I've taken the job :D

Thanks for all the comments ladys I start officially at the beginning of next month and I'll actually have set hours rather than getting phone calls at daft times of the day and night I'm looking forward to it and it will be alt better for the girls as they are getting upset at the fact I'm out at all hours :(
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

Dawn that's great news - and shows how much the manager wants you in this position too. Well done :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
maggs

Post by maggs »

Congratulations Dawn :applesauce: :applesauce:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
minij

Post by minij »

Well done Dawn, the manager definately wants to keep you to agree to that :applesauce: :applesauce:
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

Major kudos for covering yourself and getting that guarentee on paper...that certainly provea you know what you're doing and can handle managing things!
Faith