Hi Everyone! :)

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

merrywether

Hi Everyone! :)

Post by merrywether »

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I am a card carrying member of cross stitchers anonymous :) I am a self taught cross stitcher who started in high school about 15 years ago. I have just recently started to tackle designs with specialty stitches and am really enjoying it. My current favs are Just Nan and Indigo Rose. For a break from those types of designs, I love Lizzie Kate, Glory Bee, etc. My goal is to one day try to teach myself hardanger. But that is for another day. :)
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Hi Merrywether and welcome to the fun! Glad you found us and hope you enjoy it here! :D
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Hi , welcome to the forum, this is a great site and I am sure you will enjoy your visits. Hardanger is something I want to learn but it intimidates me a little :lol:
Linda
merrywether

Post by merrywether »

That's why I haven't attempted it either :) The result is beautiful, but everytime I look at the instructions on how to do it, it scares me!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi, Merrywether, and welcome to our little forum.

Hardanger is wonderful! Hardanger isn't difficult! Can you do satin stitch? Can you count? Then you, too, can do basic hardanger. After you get over the snipping of threads and start doing the fun stuff -- the lacy bits, doves eyes and things -- you will amaze your friends. It looks really difficult. Shhh! I won't tell if you don't! :D

(Bet you can't tell hardanger is one of my favourite things...)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Welcome it is great to have another new member we love to invite newbies in and have them share in all the fun.

Do you have pictures of some of your work? WE WANT TO SEE!! WE WANT TO SEE!! :P

Please feel free to jump right in with the rest of the group.

Hi my name is Rose and I am a stitchaholic. :twisted:
There is no cure and I don't want one. TEEEEEHEEEE

Please don't be mad at me but I love your screen name it reminds me of the cute little pony in Black Beauty. Merrylegs I think they called her. She was a hoot and always with the jokes. She loved to throw that bratty little boy off and run back to her stall letting all the other horses out of theirs on the way.
Last edited by Rose on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Yippee, another new cross stitch addict. :) :) :)
Welcome from me in SW France.
merrywether

Post by merrywether »

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

I don't want a cure either! I find it is a good way to relax. I have a 3 year old and 2 month old and sometimes cross stitch is the only thing that keeps me sane!

Serinde -- do you have a recommendation for books or websites that give good explanations for hardanger? Because I can do satin stitch and I can count :)

Rose-- I am trying to upload some pictures to my gallery but I can't get it to work.

Rose

Post by Rose »

We all seem to have a problem when we first start with the gallery. It may be the size of your picture. I had to get a resize program they are free on the web mine is called Visualizer Photo Resize it is easy and quick. If you still have a problem pm our Alex he is a wiz at fixing our problems.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Hi merrywether, try this link;
http://www.stitchdirect.com/
Mary Hickmott explains Hardanger very simply and there is a wonderful book called 'Easing into Hardanger' I have been right through it and I bought the kit with the book. I still sweat when cutting but I am no longer a' Hardanger virgin' :wink: :wink:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

WW, you took the words right out of my mouth! She is the best at instruction, no doubt. Also, the Anchor Book of Hardanger Embroidery is well worth the purchase price.

I have an Emie Bishop chart which I've looked at for about 10 years, so I know it can seem too awful for words. Personally, I think there is such a thing as too much embellishment (have I said that before TOO? Yipes).

Am I a Hardanger floozy, then... :? :lol:
merrywether

Post by merrywether »

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look up those books and maybe I can summon up the courage to try.

Rose -- forgot to tell you in my previous post that my screen name is a slight mispelling of the blue fairy from Disney's Sleeping Beauty. She was the short fiesty one
:D
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I remember her! She was wonderful!
Bet she could do hardanger... :)
Rose

Post by Rose »

I remember her also she was a bit of a pip wasn't she.

I like the feisty ones :lol:
merrywether

Post by merrywether »

Serinde- I bet she could too, but no fair, she had a magic wand :P
merrywether

Post by merrywether »

I am waiting on a fix from Alex regarding my gallery. But in the meantime you can see some of my completed works at webshots.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

What beautiful work. The geometrical designs are particularly striking. And funny: flying monkeys! :applesauce: :applesauce:

Re fairies. True, wands help. It's considered cheating, however, you understand.
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Hi Merrywether, welcome to the forum. I tried Hardanger too from the Mary Hickmott book which Wendy mentioned, and found it really good. I still haven't worked my way through it all, unfortunately, but have made my first cut and it didn't fall apart! :shock: Give it a go!

Your work is lovely - I particularly like the sampler. :D
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

I really like the butterfly one called Rosewings. Your work is lovely!
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Your work is great I love it. I left a couple of comments on your webshot and If I knew how to do it I would invite you as a friend but I have not figures out how to do that on the webshots link yet. :oops: Me and computers don't always talk the same language. :evil: