Stay safe T'Bear

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

SusanF

Stay safe T'Bear

Post by SusanF »

I can hardly believe what's happening up in Whitehaven this morning - do stay safe up there. For those of you outside the UK who probably won't be hearing this on the news, someone has been shooting people in various places near Whitehaven and has not yet been caught. Police are advising everyone in that part of Cumbria to stay indoors. It sounds like utter madness taking place.
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
maggs

Re: Stay safe T'Bear

Post by maggs »

Not heard about this, please stay safe TB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

It's awful! I hope they find him soon..
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thanks everyone. Yes Whitehaven is the next town to us and we are located that end of Workington.
Hubby is at Sellafield and they have closed the main gates, so no one out or in. I can't actually contact him either as his is the emergency phone for that building. He is the safety officer so last out and looking after everyone else first.
Police have spotter planes up. They want everyone off the streets in those areas as well.
I'm indoors with Joe being unwel, but I'm keeping in close contact with Tom my eldest and my mum as they are in Workington on the ministry. So I am giving them updates as we get them and they can all get off the streets if necessary.

I don't know, what with all the floods and bridge problems, the Keswick school bus crash and now this, Cumbria hasn't been the happiest of places recently. It's such a shame.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

How horrible! I hope they catch this guy soon :(
Faith
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

OMG, hadn't seen this at all. My hubby's originally from Cumbria and lived for a while in Whitehaven. He and his family still have friends there, so hoping they're all ok.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Looks like it's over.
Now I guess we find out the worst. :cry:

Update 14:00 02/06/10
Police apprehending a man suspected of shooting a number of people across West Cumbria this morning have located a body believed to be that of Derrick Bird in a wooded area near Boot.

Police have seized a gun from the scene and are now working to formally confirm the identity of the deceased and the number of people injured or dead.

A police helpline number 0800 0960095 has been set up for concerned relatives of those involved in this incident.

Our focus is now on the movements of Mr Bird this morning - we believe there are a number of fatalities and injuries. Our thoughts are with the families in these tragic times. We are asking for any witnesses to come forward and help us with our investigation into the events of this morning.

Police are asking those who were sheltering to now go about their normal day to day activities and would like to thank them for their patience in incredibly difficult circumstances. Please be aware there are a number of crime scenes across the county and we would ask for people's patince whilst we conduct our investigations.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Im glad to hear it is now once again safe for you, but how terrible for the families who have lost loved ones in this way!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Yes, relieved it's over, but dreading to hear what he's done. Have so far now heard there were 11 seperate locations of incidents.
Not sure but looks at the moment as if 4 were killed and others injured. Heard people have been shot in face/neck etc.
Details all a bit sketchy at the moment though and some are changing as things get more confirmed.

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
cinder

Post by cinder »

Well, I'm glad you and yours are ok. So sad for all the people involved in this :(
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

Thank goodness it's all over - I had heard that Sellafield had been locked down. It seems that now the police are trying to find out where he has been in the last 24 hours as they are not yet sure just how many incidents there have been.

It's about time we stopped hearing about Cumbria in the news. As you said there seems to have been so much bad news recently from this area :( :( Definitely had more than it's fair share now.
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
bluenoseshelley

Post by bluenoseshelley »

this must be awfull for all involved so glad you and your loved ones are safe thoughts are with the victims and there families at this time
HAED hannah lynn QS heart of ice around 50% done
HAED julie fain cries of the night 1 and 1/2 page done
HAED jbg faces of faerie 75 1/5 page done
HAED spangler universe in a jar 1/4 page done
plus many more waiting impatiently to be stitched
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

It's a terrible thing.
The last we heard was 5 confirmed dead, at least 25 injured.
We also heard he'd also shot his own mother, but again the only confirmed news yet is the 5 fatalities.
But it's just so off the wall.
For example, we heard the farmer in Gosforth that he killed (in his early 30's with two young children) was just trimming hedges with his uncle when the gunman drove past, wound down the car window and shot him.

Lots more details still coming out, but alot is all unconfirmed still at the moment.

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

So glad to know that you are safe and sound and my heart goes out to the families of the people that were killed and injured, this is so horrible
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Rose

Post by Rose »

I am glad that you are safe.

But what a sad and senseless crime. He didn't even know these people they were not doing him any harm. :cry:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
agi

Post by agi »

Oh, my... this is terrible, you all must have been so worried. I am glad you and your family are well, TB! :hug:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
mags

Post by mags »

So glad to hear you and yours are all okay TB. :hug:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Glad you are ok. Must have been very scary. 12 people dead plus the mad bloke - how awful. And so soon after that awful coach crash as well.

Niki x
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
nettie

Post by nettie »

Just watching the news now and this is headlines! What a terrible thing to do! TB I am glad you and your family are safe and my thoughts are with the families of those involved!
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Thanks everyone.
Yes, 12 dead, plus the gunman as well, 25 injured (3 critical).
We don't know all the names yet of course, but one of the victims worked for my friend for 16 years. He's really upset.
:(

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog