Using beading needles

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Genevieve

Using beading needles

Post by Genevieve »

I've been trying to use a beading needle - sizes 10-13 - to stitch on some beads. I just can't seem to thread the needle - the eye seems to be too small. I've used the loop method for attaching beads in the past, but, of course, this means threading two thicknesses of thread through the eye. I can't even do it with a metal needle theader. Do beading needles come in different eye sizes? Or is it just me being my usual loopy self?
raelou

Post by raelou »

I'm sure it's probably the bead makers fault,as we stitchers are never wrong!! he he :lol:
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

I don't know if they come in different eye sizes.... would definitely be better if they did. I have the same problem Genevieve, I find it helps the thread one end at a time, rather than the two together, could be there all night trying to thread the needle otherwise, it still takes me an awful long time, sometimes I get fed up and just use a single thread, I'm not the most patient of people!!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Perhaps it is the brand of beading needle? I always thought they had reasonable size eyes.
Can you thread two strands of floss through the eye, one strand at a time? If so, try attaching the beads by running stitches behind the work to secure the thread. Then attaching the bead using two strands through the bead to form one arm of the 'x'. Then come up in the appropriate hole, loop the strands over the bead (capturing the bead between the two strands, as it were) and down into the diagonal hole to form the other arm of the cross.
Does that make sense?
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Thanks all. It's a DMC beading needle, Serinde. Don't know if other makes are different. I haven't tried to thread one end at a time, but will try that. I think I have been using the method you've described. In the past, I have brought the thread up from the back, put on the bead and made the first cross before fastening the thread through the loop at the back, then brought it up again and completed the cross by railroading it around the bead. Thanks for the sympathy Ekidna - and, of course, you're right Raelou, it can't be my fault! To be honest, I've given up this afternoon and stitched stitches instead of beads. Haven't got the patience. :evil:

Ekidna - if you just use one thread, how do you do that then? :?:
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

I just stitch a half stitch with the bead in the middle. I did this with my fairy project as there were literally hundreds of beads so I just did a line at a time with half stitches. I know it's a bit risky, cos if something were to snap, there'd be beads everywhere, but it held up to a wash and iron, and postage to Australia. It is now framed so I think it's safe enough now!!

I just got so fed up sometimes threading the two ends of the thread, and wanted to get on with my stitching!!

My WIP's
Flower Set - 2 to go
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Thanks Ekidna. My DH has just had a look for me and has found out that a No 5 embroidery needle has a larger eye than the beading needle and is thin enough for the bead to pass over using a double thread (just).
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Any port in a storm! :lol:
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Genevieve wrote:Thanks Ekidna. My DH has just had a look for me and has found out that a No 5 embroidery needle has a larger eye than the beading needle and is thin enough for the bead to pass over using a double thread (just).

Well, that is handy to know! :applesauce: :applesauce: Pat on the back fpr Genevieve's DH!!

My WIP's
Flower Set - 2 to go