Hot off the stretcher bars...

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mig-3

Hot off the stretcher bars...

Post by mig-3 »

I just finished a counted canvas work piece. It's "Patriotic Stars" by From Nancy's Needle-Regional Quilt Series. Y'all have really been a big boost to my stitching. I'm back to work tomorrow after being on sick leave for two weeks, so it's good to have stitching back to help me unwind. Thanks for looking.
Jarvis
socialsue

Re: Hot off the stretcher bars...

Post by socialsue »

:applesauce: This is lovely.....did u use DMC threads or is this more like weaving?

socialsue
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

socialsue wrote::applesauce: This is lovely.....did u use DMC threads or is this more like weaving?

socialsue
Thanks, Sue. I used Caron Watercolours (basically a hand-dyed perle cotton and sheer joy with which to stitch) and Rainbow Gallery metallics. The counted canvas work is similar to needlepoint. You tack a piece of 18ct mono canvas to stretcher bars and go from there. The stitches are simply long stitches at an angle. The instructions called them "slanted gobelin" stitches. It doen't get much easier than this. If you want to see a couple more from this series, just click on the link in my sig.
Jarvis
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

This is awesome and you stitches are so even. When I first saw it, it looked exactly like a quilted square.

Fabulous work.

Squirrel
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wub: very nice!! :dance:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Rose

Post by Rose »

Your work is amazing!!!!! Love your gallery!!!!!
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Beautiful!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

:wub: What beautiful work! I agree that it does look just like a quilt square. What are the dimensions of it? Do you think you'll make others from the series?
Pam
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

pamelam wrote::wub: What beautiful work! I agree that it does look just like a quilt square. What are the dimensions of it? Do you think you'll make others from the series?
Thanks Pam (and everyone). It stitched out at a little over 10"x10". I have several more of the charts. I have to save up to buy the canvas and threads for the next one. Sucks being poor. :(

Here are three others I've done in the series:
First one I finished "Celtic Knot": Image

Second "Desert Star": Image

Third "Evening Star": Image

Thanks again,
Jarvis
annkor26

Post by annkor26 »

Those are gorgeous! I especially like the Evening Star since blue is my favorite color.

Do you go to the Silver Needle in Tulsa? I've been wanting to do a weekend trip up there to shop! :D
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wub: Wow!!!! Those are fabulous!! I am in awe!! Great stitching and lovely designs!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

agi

Post by agi »

Great work! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
ali-cat

Post by ali-cat »

Absolutely stunning!! :shock: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Looks way beyond anything I could do with a needle!! :shock:
:kitty: Many years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

WIP
Joan Elliott's Woodland Goddess
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

These are gorgeous. I just went and checked out the designer's site, and there's lots of temptation evident. Have never seen these marketed in the UK, and can't imagine why not.

One question: why the stretcher bars? Could these be done on a big enough scroll frame or q-snaps instead?
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

annkor26 wrote: Do you go to the Silver Needle in Tulsa? I've been wanting to do a weekend trip up there to shop! :D
Oh, yeah. :D The Silver Needle is great. I really like The Stitchworks and there is also Stitches. With those three shops in Tulsa, it's a stitcher's delight.

Give me a shout if you get up this way. You may need help carrying all the new stash.
Jarvis
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

ali-cat wrote:Absolutely stunning!! :shock: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Looks way beyond anything I could do with a needle!! :shock:
Thank you, Ali. I'll let you in on a secret. These are deceptively easy to stitch. If you've done a enough XS pieces to get used to reading a chart and counting/moving around on fabric, you can do these. You stitch your center motif and everything literally grows outward from there. If you get interested in doing one, PM or email me. I'll be glad to explain it a bit more.
Jarvis
mig-3

Post by mig-3 »

Serinde wrote:
One question: why the stretcher bars? Could these be done on a big enough scroll frame or q-snaps instead?
Hi Serinde and thanks. You really need stretcher bars. The monocanvas is too thick for q-snaps, a scroll frame, or even a quilting hoop. The monocanvas is a simple weave and comes apart at the edges quite easily. Because you are using perle cottons and heavier metallic threads, there is quite a bit more "pull" on the canvas with each pass of the needle. Without the stretcher bars keeping tension on all four sides the canvas distorts and ruins the design.

The Stitchworks, a shop here in Tulsa, OK, have a great selection of counted canvas charts and supplies. http://www.stitchworks.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank (Their website isn't the greatest, but the shop and ladies there are great!) If you decide to try one and have any trouble getting supplies, drop me a line and I'll be glad to help round up what you need.
Jarvis
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Probably a hundred years ago, I did quite a bit of canvas work, usually "in hand", and I'd forgotten how stiff canvas is and how it distorts. Stretcher bars are the obvious answer. As it happens, I have family in Sand Springs, OK, and I might be able to get them to have a look for me sometime. (Although here in the UK, our Chancellor of the Exchequer is right now letting us know how much money we are NOT going to have over the next 4 years, so I might just have to dream about these designs.)

If you particularly like quilting designs on canvas, you might keep an eye out for a wonderful book, published in 1974 by Workman Publishing company, called Needlepoint from America's Great Quilt Designs, compiled by Mary Kay Davis and Helen Giammattei. It's fabulous, if you can find it.
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

The other pieces you did are beautiful! I especially was struck by "Evening Star"; it's gorgeous :wub:
Pam
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

:drool: I am impressed... These designs are gorgeous!!!!!
Faith