edges of the cross stitch... what do i do?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

galaxy

edges of the cross stitch... what do i do?

Post by galaxy »

hi guys,

My problem is basically after ive finished a design, i get confused what to do with the edges of my work?

im really bad at the edges as well so any help would be appreciated...!

thanx guys
regards
galaxy
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi Galaxy, and welcome to the forum.

How you finish your design depends a lot on what it is and what you intend to do with it.
I always hem my pieces that will be handled a lot (usually table stuff). I don't bother for stitching that goes into cards or frames. Bellpulls benefit from vilene and a backing, which needs hemming, of course. :thinks:

My problem is that the stitching is the fun part, and I've never learned to... sew! :oops: So finishing isn't my strong suit. I've two little Christmas stockings which need made up... I need a finishing elf. :idea:
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

If you find one Serinde - a finishing elf, that is - can you see if he has a brother (or sister)? I find this part of any project so very boring. Just finished 'Harry Potter', so am very elf orientated at the moment. :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I wizz around my fabric before I start using a zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine. That way it doesn't fray whilst I am stitching. I leave this in place after and I find that this strengthens the fabric for the finishing . I can then frame it or make it into a wall hanging or cushion without much trouble. Hope that this helps you Galaxy.

I could do with a gardening/ironing elf if you know one. :wink: :wink:
galaxy

Post by galaxy »

thanx guys for replying
:D