Buying Q Snaps or equivalent in UK?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Genevieve

Buying Q Snaps or equivalent in UK?

Post by Genevieve »

I'm thinking about buying some Q Snaps or the UK equivalent, so, having had a browse, I'd be interested to know what people think of the Plastic Snap Frames from Sew and So. Are there any others which are better in the UK?

Secondly, what size should I go for? I don't stitch HAED, but do work on samplers and bell pulls etc.

I see the Plastic Snap Frame on Sew and So - 11" x 17" - is £13.22 + p&p. It's made by R&R Craft Frames, yet on their own site, the frames are so much more expensive. Why such a difference?
Midge

Re: Buying Q Snaps or equivalent in UK?

Post by Midge »

I have an 11 x 11 R&R frame and I love it. It is the perfect size for holding in my hand or putting into my Lowery stand.
I can't however explain the pricing. :D
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
ali-cat

Post by ali-cat »

My R & R frame is from Sew and So and has lasted me for years!! I love it. One problem is a couple of the clips/clasps have cracked, so are not as tight as they used to be, but it still work well and I'm hoping to buy a new, larger one soon!! :D

I also can't help with the prices - but I know I'll be going back to Sew and So because of their excellent service.
:kitty: Many years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

WIP
Joan Elliott's Woodland Goddess
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I got mine from Fun2do a local-ish shop to me. It's the R&R frame and cost less, like you say, than from R&R themselves.
I just thought maybe because they get a bulk order they can do it cheaper? Always seems strange to me though when people can sell products for less than the originators.

I love my frames and am hoping to get more sizes. I think I have the 11x11 and the 9x9.

:)
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Thank you so much everybody. I think the 11 x 11 frame from Sew and So is the way to go. I've got a roller frame for the birth sampler, but am finding it a bit awkward. I think the snap frame will be a lot easier.

I understand that, unlike hoops, the frame doesn't leave crease marks on the fabric. Is this actually the case? That's the reason I haven't used a hoop and moved it around. I find I just can't get rid of hoop marks on aida, no matter what I try.

Thank you very much for your help - chocolate all round! :choc:
Carole

Post by Carole »

I bought the two smallest from SewandSo. I've been using them handheld and I'm really pleased with them, particularly with how well they keep the tension and how quickly and easily the fabric goes on. Moving them around is a doddle compared to hoops.

I'm going to get the larger sizes at some point.
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

3madspaniels

Post by 3madspaniels »

I've just started using one of these, and I love it. I have always used a scroll frame before, but wanted to try these. I think I'm converted already. They make it really easy to remove your work and don't mark your fabric. The one I'm using at the moment is just 6" square, and before I put my fabric on I thought it was incredibly heavy for the size, but you don't notice that when you are working. I also have a 17" square one, to use for my next project. One thing to remember before you order is that the size quoted is the outer dimensions, the working area is about 1.5" smaller.
Paula

WIP's
New York by Thea Gouverneur
HAED Fireside Companions
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

I have the R&R frames too :)

I bought the 11x17 version and you get 4 side pieces in each size (4 11 inch and 4 17 inch) so you can fiddle til you get the size that's right for you.

I love it :D

It definitely doesn't leave any crease marks like a hoop does and its so much easier to move fabric round. I'll probably get more sizes when I have some money.

I still use hoops especially if I need to get close to the edge on something of a smaller project etc but qsnaps are by far my favourite
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Thank you for all your comments. I've just ordered an 11" x 11" frame from Sew and So and am looking forward to it arriving already. The total measurement of the design I'm working on at the moment is approximately 15" x 6", so, hopefully, this frame will be a good size.

Thank you again for all your help. :D
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

I use to work in hand, then a kind member here passed on a hoop which they don't use often... But I must say - I didnt love it because of the marks it makes in the cloth (i mainly usd aida, and can't get the marks out! :( ) so thanks for this thread! Was wondering if Q-snaps / R&R made marks too or not :)
P.s. Is there a difference between Q-snaps and R&R frames? Or are they only different names for the same thing? :thinks:
:D smiley :D

WIP:
Still :shock:

snoopy birth present
knitting: witty knits, santa

2010 Finishes:
UFO: popcorn holding blankie
I love my pony, Linda Gillum
Cute Kitten, Adam Pescott
Mouse in race car, Lucie Heaton
Hi mom (golden retrievers), Linda Gillum
Rose

Post by Rose »

Q-snaps are the american name and R&R is the british version. At least that is what I have been told.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

I have the 11 x 11 snap frame from Sew & So too. I got it just over 2 years ago and I wouldn't be without it - much better than a hoop!
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Just had to get back in touch with Sew and So, as I realised that the 11" x 11" frame was going to be too big for my present project! :doh:

The order has already been sent - they're so quick - so I decided to keep it when it arrives and have ordered the 9" x 9" as well - which will fit!

Lesson learned - make sure you measure your fabric before ordering. :roll: Still, I understand they are interchangeable, so I'm sure they will both be useful.

Big sigh - off to have a cup of tea and a biscuit. :tea:
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Yes, at least you have options now on other projects for different sized frames.
I think you'll be pleased with having both.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog