Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by CuriousKitty »

So I finally get to work on designing a project I've been itching to do for weeks now! I practice kitsuke, or the art of wearing a kimono pretty regularly. Kimono are something I adore, love and spend far too much money on. I wanted to try making a han-eri, or a second collar, with cross stitch and mix some nordic stitches with some traditional Japanese motifs.

I decided to start with one of my top 5 favorite motifs... Shippo-Tsunagi. "Shippo" by itself means something like "Seven Treasures" and "Tsunagi" is something like "interlocking items/objects."

Shippo itself means many things, and the Seven Treasures is a Buddhist belief relating to qualities we aspire to "...It’s based on the Seven Treasures of Buddhism: gold, silver, lapis lazuli, agate, seashell, amber and coral which each represent a quality Buddhists strive to uphold."

Now, my favorite, and very first anime growing up, had several characters named coincidentally in relation to many kimono motifs, and Shippo, a young orphaned boy, was one of them. It wasn't until later I learned that his name meant "Seven Treasures" and that it meant even more than just that!

So while I'm preparing this han-eri, I'm also getting teased (playfully) because I love to use binder clips to hold absolutely anything together.
Image

I drew out a pattern on a 10x10 square, but I haven't decided exactly how large my 10x10 will be yet... if it's 1/1 or maybe 1/2 or even larger.... which just gave me an idea that might be over complicating it but we'll see... :roll:

For reference:
Image
Real Life Use:
Image

My little pattern to get it hammered out:
Image

Some Augnsaumur, or more usually called, eye-stitch I'm thinking of throwing in. I'm even thinking about some Smyrna Crosses... hmm.
Image
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by rcperryls »

This sounds really exciting!! I haven't ever designed my own project and admire those of you who have. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this one develop. What fabric are you using?

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
karen4bells
Posts: 21816
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by karen4bells »

Oh wow!!! I already am in love with this!!! Any chance of you selling this design in the future??? I would love to stitch something like this and definitely will be anxiously awaiting your updates!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs


User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by Serinde »

What's not to like here? I'll watch this with great interest.

(it's cable ties in my house)
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by CuriousKitty »

rcperryls wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 pm This sounds really exciting!! I haven't ever designed my own project and admire those of you who have. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this one develop. What fabric are you using?

Carole
:dance:
This is a monaco linen (according to the box) in a 28ct. I would have liked to use something softer, but all my nicer linen is all dyed and not what I wamt my first try on.
karen4bells wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:12 pm Oh wow!!! I already am in love with this!!! Any chance of you selling this design in the future??? I would love to stitch something like this and definitely will be anxiously awaiting your updates!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
I don't see why not, I've never sold a pattern before. I'm also definitely not done with it either. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to fill it in or leave it simple.

We all know I'm probably going to over complicate it. XD

Anyways, I finished two hems last night. I think I cut it a bit short width wise.

Image
User avatar
Podolyanka
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by Podolyanka »

This stitch has a beautiful name in Ukraine- "nightingales' eyes".
Lyudmila
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by CuriousKitty »

Podolyanka wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:13 pm This stitch has a beautiful name in Ukraine- "nightingales' eyes".
Oh which one?
User avatar
Squirrel
Posts: 16821
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:33 am
Location: exChristhcurch NZ, now Brisbane, Australia

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by Squirrel »

What a challenge you have given yourself and you are well on the way to solving it too. It will be interesting to watch this project progress through its stages to the finish. Well Done for even thinking of tackling it. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by CuriousKitty »

Squirrel wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:14 am What a challenge you have given yourself and you are well on the way to solving it too. It will be interesting to watch this project progress through its stages to the finish. Well Done for even thinking of tackling it. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Han-eri are so beautiful and I'm so excited about something I could wear myself!
User avatar
Podolyanka
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by Podolyanka »

The one you call "eye-stitch".
Lyudmila
User avatar
Podolyanka
Posts: 1706
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 pm
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by Podolyanka »

CuriousKitty wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 pm
Podolyanka wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:13 pm This stitch has a beautiful name in Ukraine- "nightingales' eyes".
Oh which one?

The one you call "eye-stitch".
Lyudmila
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by CuriousKitty »

Podolyanka wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 am
CuriousKitty wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:15 pm
Podolyanka wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:13 pm This stitch has a beautiful name in Ukraine- "nightingales' eyes".
Oh which one?

The one you call "eye-stitch".
Oh yeah I'm sure it has many names across different places! I found it in some Japanese kimono, but I haven't figured out what they call it yet.
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by CuriousKitty »

Call me cuckoo, but I just finished the 3rd of 4 hems. Fortunately for me, this is my "fun piece" so I don't feel bad taking so long :wub: :lol:

Just one long edge left then I'll get serious about the pattern. I've got some ideas to mess with!

Image
User avatar
wendywombat
Posts: 13546
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 pm
Location: Scottish Borders

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by wendywombat »

You need a sewing machine, Girl!! Zig-zag along each side zippedy Quick and it's done!! :lol:

Now back to your project!
That's going to be so Special!! :applesauce:

My daughter loves Kimonos too. She bought a couple on Ebay, one to wear and one longer which was also to wear, but was far too long for her so it's hanging over the long window at the top of her staircase...she couldn't bear to shorten it! :wink: They both are silk and Quite Beautiful. :wub:
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by CuriousKitty »

wendywombat wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:29 pm You need a sewing machine, Girl!! Zig-zag along each side zippedy Quick and it's done!! :lol:

Now back to your project!
That's going to be so Special!! :applesauce:

My daughter loves Kimonos too. She bought a couple on Ebay, one to wear and one longer which was also to wear, but was far too long for her so it's hanging over the long window at the top of her staircase...she couldn't bear to shorten it! :wink: They both are silk and Quite Beautiful. :wub:
I actually couldn't stand my sewing machine and gave it away to a friend. This has been my favorite part, like a meditation. After the fury of finishing the Deer, I don't want to go fast.

Unless it was a dancing/geiko or a wedding kimono, they're meant to be folded up to fit. It's a pretty incolved process, I love it.
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by CuriousKitty »

I finished my pattern during downtime at work, now I just have to practice a few things before I dig into it for sure! The hemming is officially done, and so precise, I'll dream about every 4 holes tonight.

Image
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Congratulations on finishing such a perfect hem. Much better than the masking tape I use, but then I haven't been brave enough to stitch something to wear. I am so looking forward to seeing this develop!!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Jilly
Posts: 6606
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:55 am
Location: Slap bang in the middle of Wales

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by Jilly »

Really fascinating to see the development of your project :)
The hemming is wonderful! Love the care that has gone into it :wub:
User avatar
CuriousKitty
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:55 am
Location: Marysville, Washington

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by CuriousKitty »

So I goofed, big time. It's fixable (been fixed) but it won't be the "perfect" piece I wanted it to be. Maybe next time? It's definitely a lesson learned. So in a nutshell, my length was a minimum of 10cm too short. Instead of adding to the ends where the design for sure would be disrupted, I cut it open at the very back and hand zig-zagged it in, whip stitched the inside edge, used fray-check on the outside edge and made sure the outer corners were securely wrapped together. I'm still a little upset with it, but it's my fault for measuring faulty.

Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Shippo-Tsunagi Han-Eri

Post by rcperryls »

Good thing you noticed this before you started stitching. I don't think you are the first one to ever mismeasured fabric and not the last one either. From the photo of when it is folded, I think you have done a very good job of adding the extra fabric in.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Post Reply