Page 6 of 14
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:46 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
How beautiful!
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:21 am
by Squirrel
Sina that is absolutely gorgeous and the back stitching will make it awesomely so. Well done on getting out a UFOand reawakening it.
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:52 am
by sina28
I'm so glad you all like it!
Nicola, I have a few more Riolis kits so yes I'm happy to show you how the threads are sorted in mine.
I'm stitching the Summer Wreath at the moment, but I also have the other seasons as well and I took photos from the Spring Wreath.
Threads come in a bundle, like you said, and some even in little skeins. I think it depends on the size of the design, smaller kits might not have the skeins, I'm really not sure, but mine all do (I only have the four seasonal wreaths so they're all the same size.)
But there is also a thread sorter included which has snippets of the actual thread on it. I remember it was very easy to sort the colours using this. I think you could easily attach the thread to the sorter, I just put them on bobbins and labeled them with the number as I knew I would be working on this design for quite some time.
I hope this helps? If you have any more questions please ask, I'm more than happy to help
(Also regarding the size of my stash: I just tell myself I'll stitch them all eventually, I really do

)
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:01 am
by Nicola Main
Oh yes that's what mine was like but there were no skeins, all the threads were in little bundles and weren't even precut. I remember the sorting card had the little bits already on it. Thanks for showing me this! xxx
P.S. Found this old photo I took.

Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:26 am
by sina28
I think in some kits they also use acrylic wool which might be stitched differently than floss?? I really don't know but yours does look different.
This is interesting, I found it on the Riolis web page:
http://www.riolis.com/doc.php?doc_id=255" target="_blank
Most of cross stitch kits created by RIOLIS contain wool/acrylic threads. There is a certain reason why we are using these threads as a basic material for our designs. Old traditions and our own experience have assured us in amazing quality of this material.
The first known in the history embroideries were made with woolen threads. Ancient stitched ornaments were considered to protect the house from evil spirits and women also decorated clothes with it.
Wool/acrylic threads used in RIOLIS kits are produced by Italian company Safil. Modern technologies gave an opportunity to improve the quality of wool raw materials adding acryl to woollen yarn. These threads are made of 70% of acryl and only 30% of wool. Our wool/acrylic threads are more resistible to abrasion, better preserve the color and are less allergenic.
Wool/acrylic threads are very smooth to the touch. It is easy to stitch even if you are inexperienced in such kind of handiwork, and stitches lay tight giving soft and matte surface.
Embroidery with wool/acrylic threads looks more like 3D, than stranded cotton threads.
Different decorative elements with woollen embroidery make your house look stylish and cosy.
The whole palette of dark colors of wool/acrylic threads is very deep and saturated. So there are some designs like animals, landscapes which look more attractive, vivid and very close to the original.
Wool/acrylic threads as opposed to stranded cotton perfectly suits for working on 10 and below count fabric, because it covers canvas very nicely, so weak sight people as well as kids can also enjoy cross-stitching.
RIOLIS cross-stitch kits with wool/acrylic threads are loved very much not only by Russian embroidery fans, but also by crafty people all around the world. You will love it too!
I had another look at my kits and found that the winter wreath has the colours all separated on a floss card. It's from 2016 and the other ones from 2015 so maybe they have changed the way they pack their kits in 2016?
Which design is the one you have?
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:34 am
by Podolyanka
Nicola, yours must have been an older kit, it contains "wool"(acril) threads not on bobbins or organizer. I have one such kit somewhere- the irises, the threads were "organized" exactly like in your photo. I like this way of kitting better than when threads are cut up to someone else's liking. Wind them up onto bobbins and you will find it easier to use them than when they hang like noodles from the paper "organizer".
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Interesting to see the differences in the way the threads are kitted - and also to read about why they use the threads they do!
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:57 am
by Nicola Main
It's the Red Squirrels one. Thanks for that info! I love the Riolis designs, especially the animals and flowers

Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:05 am
by sina28
Aww they are really cute
They also have a very cute hedgehog design I might need someday, especially as my brother is kind of crazy about hedgehogs!
LOL we have a big patch in our garden where we don't cut the grass and let the wildflowers grow to their liking (actually meant as a habitat for bees and other insects). He has now put a water bowl and a bowl containing hedgehog-food (apparently it's very dangerous to give them cat food or something like this, this one really is especially for hedgehogs containing dried worms and other insects). So maybe he'll succeed and attract some.

Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:43 am
by country lass
Love these designs, very nicely stitched. Well done.
my Riolis kits had wooll/acrylic wound on card plus a few colours in small skeins enclosed in band. Their designs are pretty.
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:02 pm
by rcperryls
Lovely progress on the wreath!

And very pretty designs too. Many years ago I decided to forego using kits mostly because of issues with the threads. Sounds like many of those issues are going or gone. Designs look like fun and I am looking forward to seeing your (and the others') updates.
Carole

Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:25 pm
by Garnet

[/quote]
I love this Sina, I haven't seen this design before, it's gorgeous.
You are making great progress with it, with all the lovely colours,
Great idea to do the backstitch as you go, I do that too, remembering to stop a few stitches before I need to so the next cross stitches dont' go over the backstitch. I have Dimensions Wreath of all Seasons waiting in line in my stash as well as Riolis' Irises.
Great explanation of why the threads and wool are used, I enjoyed reading that, very informative, thank you.
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:44 pm
by sina28
A big THANKS to all of you
I have now finished the first half of the wreath including backstitch (not every flower is outlined).
[url=
https://postimages.org/]

Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:51 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Lovely, and I particularly love that bumblebee!
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:01 pm
by Nicola Main
Looking gorgeous Sina!

Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:15 pm
by vanessanjf
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 am
by Garnet
Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:37 pm
by sina28
Thank you for the comments
I have worked a bit more on it.
On Facebook I am taking part in a cross stitch challenge, and I'm quite behind, so lately I've been stitching quite a bit in order to maybe catch up someday.

Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:48 pm
by Garnet
Oh that is coming along beautifully. The Daisies are lovely, I love Daisies (and Poppies), well most wildflowers actually.
Beautiful update

Re: Sina's stitches 2018
Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:16 pm
by sina28
Garnet wrote:I love Daisies (and Poppies), well most wildflowers actually.
I completely understand you, I feel the same!
Thank you!