Suggestions for a Newbie!!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Cathy70
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 12, 2023 10:20 am

Re: Suggestions for a Newbie!!

Post by Cathy70 »

Serinde wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:31 am It is a beautiful place to live, there's no doubt. We don't see much of the loch this time of year... it gets pretty busy, the roads are narrow... and the national park authorities have designated the best little bay and beach to be used by campers only all year round. :tantrum: Once the children are back in school and after the August bank holiday, however, the locals come out of hiding! :dance: :dance:
:whoop: :whoop:
User avatar
joanne-marchenko
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2026 1:41 am
Contact:

Re: Suggestions for a Newbie!!

Post by joanne-marchenko »

Everything above is technique, so I'll add what comes before it: choosing the chart. I design patterns, so I see this from the other side. Look at grid size and colour count together. Thirty colours across a large design is a rich palette. Thirty across a small one is confetti — and confetti is what puts a firs project in a drawer. Rose's point about not running floss across open areas is the one I wish I'd been told sooner :neutral: :neutral: .
Joanne 8)
I design halloween cross stitch patterns — https://cloverstitchery.com/halloween-c ... h-pattern/
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Suggestions for a Newbie!!

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Very helpful Joanne, thank you!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Post Reply