Page 7 of 12

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 2:50 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Oh poor puss! I hope everything will go well and she will soon be back to her usual self :hug:

As for the pills....

Image

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:27 pm
by rcperryls
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:

Best medicine yet.

Thank you.

Carole
:wub:

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:54 pm
by richardandtracy
:dance:
We had a pill popper until the cats learnt how to get around it...

Regards,

Richard.

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:57 pm
by rcperryls
Rosey had her surgery yesterday. 6 extractions. Its called Feline Tooth Resorption.

"Feline tooth resorption is a condition in which the body begins breaking down and absorbing the structures that form the tooth. The process usually starts in the enamel along the gum line and continues towards the center of the tooth. Eventually, the tooth will be almost entirely gone."

It is evidently not uncommon and the cause is unknown. Hard to identify in early stages because while vets check teeth when doing annual check-ups it is very hard to see. Probably causing a lot of pain but cats don't tell us when and where something hurts. So far she seems to be behaving pretty much like she did after the cleaning when the condition first was seen in an x-ray. Her biggest issue seems to be that she can't have dry food for two weeks which is not in itself an issue because she has discovered the delights of wet food and bisque and broth and other yummies that she didn't know existed. She loves her dry food, but if anyone has a cat addicted to "Temptation" cat treats, they will understand that she is having withdrawal symptoms. She is now plopped in front of the entry to a small wet bar area which is where cat food supplies (including the bags with treats) is located. Periodically checking to see if one has mysteriously appeared that she can secretly get to before I do.

Hoping that is the only issue, but she had a lot of work done under anesthesia and some powerful pain meds too (morphine - a shot of some slow acting pain killer to help her past the first few days) so hoping that all I have to deal with is the Temptations withdrawal.

And the veterinarian wing of our hospital is awesome. Thank you to the staff who not only understand how the animals feel, but are so good to the people they own.

Carole
:wub:

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:56 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Poor Rosey, what an ordeal for her! I hope she will thrive on the new wet and squishy diet and soon be back to her usual self :wub:

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:57 pm
by richardandtracy
Our 17 yo cat Squeaky has something like that, but he has kidney disease too, so the vet didn't deal with the teeth, saying a live cat with dodgy teeth was better than a funeral. We agreed.

Glad Rosey is recovering.

Regards,

Richard

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:14 pm
by rcperryls
Update on Rosey. We had a couple of difficult days. But I think (hope) the worst is over. I was on the phone with my vet several times because I was so concerned about some of her behavior, especially (and I won't go into detail)her not using her litter box. The vet and her staff are so good, only surpassed by the unbelieveable attention here at St Cross Stitchers Veterinary Wing. Rosey wants to send her and her staff a thank you card with some goodies for keeping me under control. :roll:

Getting the medicine (an anti inflammatory )wasn't as difficult as I thought. Open a can of tuna, add the medicine to a dish filled with the tuna water, and the dish is licked clean . Pill poppers have never worked on any of my cats.

Carole
:doh:

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:23 pm
by Steam.Jo
Sounds positive.

I don't know if you have noticed but all the tins of Tuna are "shrinking". Sainsburys tins were 160g they are now 120g :tantrum:

My Hedgehogs get Tuna if they are not well. Speaking of which it has been very dry in the UK for a long time so please put out bowls of water for our prickly friends :)

Jo

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:19 am
by Mabel Figworthy
I like the tuna water trick Carole! Glad she is on the mend.

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:52 pm
by fccs
I'm glad Rosey is doing better. Brilliant idea with the tuna water. I have to give Jackson a daily heart med and I smash it up I wet food. Sometimes he finishes it, sometimes he doesn't. My thought has always been some is better than none.

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:17 pm
by rcperryls
With cats some is always better than none. The only problem with using tuna water is that as much as I like tuna, daily for me is a bit too much. Fortunately this med was only for 4 days. Rosey is recovering slowly, but so much back to normal, that I’m not real worried. I thin the biggest issue for,her is where her Temptations (also known in feline circles as “kitty crack” have gone to.

Carole
:dance:

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:56 pm
by fccs
Someone could make a ton of money by bottling tuna water for pets. :-)

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:18 am
by Mabel Figworthy
A tunny of money :-D ?

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:10 pm
by rcperryls
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:18 am A tunny of money :-D ?
fccs wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:56 pm Someone could make a ton of money by bottling tuna water for pets. :-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Carole
:D

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:18 pm
by richardandtracy
Last night my daughter Orianna had bought our cats some treats. Ozzie got a Biltong stick to chew on, but the interesting one was for Squeaky.

His treat was a straw filled with Tuna Yogurt (in due deference to his dodgy teeth). It combined liquidized Tuna and a milky yogurt base. He adores both, and usually quiet Squeaky purred like a train all the time he was licking it out of the straw. In fact, he was purring so much he purred on the in breath as well as the out breath. Might be one to keep an eye out for.

Regards,

Richard.

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:22 pm
by fccs
The tuna yogurt sounds disgusting from a human point of view but I can see how it would break out the purrs in Squeaky.

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:11 am
by Serinde
We raised Siamese cats, and vets told us never (ever) to give them fish -- apparently they believed that the cats would never eat any other food again. Of course, this wasn't so, but we did ration them severely (it being the Midwest, and fish weren't very plentiful in my neck of the woods). However, every time the electric tin opener whirred into action, we had cats at our feet, hoping it was tuna, and arguing (as only a Siamese can) for just a lick!

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:14 pm
by rcperryls
Serinde wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:11 am every time the electric tin opener whirred into action, we had cats at our feet, hoping it was tuna, and arguing (as only a Siamese can) for just a lick!
In the olden days before all the pull up tabs on cans that made can openers an integral part of kitchen utensils, my first cat, Sigmund, a big black cat would jump on to the counter and push down the lever that would start the can opener. Pretty clear he was telling me it was time to eat. When she is feeling good, Rosey will come from wherever she is in the house if she hears the can opener. Since tuna is about the only can that requires a can opener, its a good bet that tuna water is about to be served.

Carole
:kitty:

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:02 pm
by rcperryls
Last update on Rosey. We had a few really bad days. She refused to eat any of the wet foods I was giving her. And then she started serious hiding from me. It was like all of a sudden she went from getting better to worse. I wasn't sure if it was the pain medication easing off, if something had gone wrong (infection??). After talking with the dental tech (dentist was out of town) and then my vet, I brought her in to the vet. (I love my vet. She is so good with animals and the people they own). Vet gave her a shot for pain, checked her mouth and said it all looked really good and right before I left, she said to not wait another week and let her have her dry food. That was all it took. She has been as close to being back to normal(for her) as I could have hoped. The one thing that is different right now is that rather than spend much of her day on the window ledge of the office room where the sun is during the day, she is almost always in the same room as I am. Keeping an eye on me, just in case I try any more despicable behavior, such as tossing her in a cat carrier and dragging her to the torture chambers of the veterinarian .

Thank you so much for the care here at our veterinarian wing of the hospital. Both Rosey and I sincerely appreciate the time, care and love provided.

Carole
:kitty:

Re: 2023 St Cross Stitchers Hospital

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:39 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
As I read the start of your post I was getting terribly worried but so pleased it has a happy ending, and what good care you and Rosey are getting!