Page 8 of 27
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:23 pm
by rcperryls
Ledge (Shortly after we moved into our house, my DH made wider ledges for 3 of the windows where the cats like to sit and/or sleep where the sun comes in to warm them)
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:45 pm
by fccs
Edge…
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:21 pm
by Steam.Jo
Firefox
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:57 am
by richardandtracy
Down
(Think 'Firefox Down' was a book)
Regards,
Richard
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:55 pm
by rcperryls
up

Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:35 pm
by richardandtracy
Balloons
(Couldn't resist. 'Up': amazing, silly, gentle film that is an emotional heavyweight)
Regards
Richard
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:34 am
by Roland
Choking
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:41 am
by richardandtracy
Nozzle
(rocket nozzles, jet engine nozzles and major volcanoes all show choking of the flow through the nozzle when the speed of the fluid through the nozzle reaches the local speed of sound. With the Pompeii eruption, Mt Vesuvius must have ejected material at not less than 1200 mph in order to get to the estimated 32km plume height - from 0.5mV^2 = mgh equating kinetic to potential energy and ignoring atmospheric friction. If I can vaguely remember I think I have heard of eruption velocities in excess of 3000mph and more than half that velocity is scrubbed off by atmospheric friction and internal turbulance)
Regards,
Richard.
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:02 pm
by rcperryls
hose (as in water hose, which is what I think of when I see the word nozzle. Which I guess does the same thing that the other nozzles do, but I imagine at a much lower pressure?)
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:07 pm
by Steam.Jo
stocking
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:45 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
blue.
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:14 pm
by richardandtracy
Delphinium
Regards,
Richard
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:50 am
by Mabel Figworthy
dormouse (see
here - a poem that always leaves me rather sad)
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:48 am
by rcperryls
Mad Hatter
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:14 pm
by richardandtracy
Shilling
The 2'6d (2 shillings and six pence) on the mad hatter's hat price tag is such an old price I doubt if most Brits under 50 even know what it is in decimal currency - 12.5 pence)
Regards,
Richard
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:10 pm
by Steam.Jo
orifice
Another great engineering design by a woman

Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:50 pm
by fccs
nose.
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:55 am
by richardandtracy
Nursery [rhyme]
(From the nursery rhyme I have mercifully mostly forgotten 'Eyes, nose, teeth, face')
(With regards to 'Tilly Shilling's Orifice', if I ever hear about it, I had forgotten it. Absolutely amazing. It's the simplest, easiest to implement, ideas that require the most brilliance to imagine. The imagination to come up with such ideas is so scarce and needs to be valued exceptionally highly, but rarely is, or even given any sort of credit. Tilly must have been amazing to work with.)
Regards,
Richard
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:34 am
by Serinde
Cryme (for all you Genesis fans out there)
And Richard, you are so, so correct.
Re: 2023 Word Game
Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:35 pm
by fccs
thyme