Page 9 of 20
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:52 pm
by wendywombat
So much detail! I love this interesting piece

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:04 am
by Steam.Jo
Thank you Ladies

The flowers are growing:
Only a few more stitches on the right and that half will be completed
Jo
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:57 pm
by fccs
You’re making great progress on this magnificent piece.
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:36 pm
by Serinde
I'll second that!

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:53 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
It's like a delicate watercolour

!
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:18 pm
by rcperryls
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:53 pm
It's like a delicate watercolour

!
I'll second that one!
Carole

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:50 am
by Steam.Jo
A quick pic of where I have got to on Rome:
Its doing my eyes in so I am going to put it to one side for a while.
Instead I have taken the TW sampler out to the conservatory to work on it:
I seem to remember that I had chosen the wrong posh stitch at the bottom so I will have to find the laminated charts I made up and decide if I want to unpick them and do the correct stitch. I known only I will know but I KNOW
Back inside to my dining rooms and I have another butterfly in the house:
A small Tortoiseshell. I love these smaller butterflies they are one of the first to appear in March, after their winter hibernation, sitting on the catkins or the dandelions in the garden. While we all hate having nettles in our garden these are one of the wonderful butterflies you will find in your garden if you let a few nettles grow in a sunny corner. Then they will lay their eggs on the nettles and there is nothing better than seeing their caterpillars devouring the nettle leaves for you

.
Jo
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:41 pm
by rcperryls
Good progress on all these projects and each is so very different. I think I especially the delicacy of the butterflies.
Carole

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:27 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Lovely progress on Rome, and it's so nice to see all these butterflies appear!
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:19 pm
by Steam.Jo
Thank you ladies, I need some encouragement I am pulling my hair out or rather my stitching on the Harvest Sampler:
I am having to unpick the row of mixed stitches under the serpentine row. The instructions on this kit is poor to say the least. I thought that I had the wrong stitch but worse than that I have got the wrong colours as well

. This is because the chart shows exactly the same symbol/colour on both the top and the bottom Serpentine rows. (Yes there are two of the Serpentine rows

) Having looked at the picture of TW's own piece I now realise that I should be using a different pair of stitches on the first Serpentine than the bottom Serpentine panel and logically stitches 11 & 12 go at the top and 13 & 14 at the bottom.
Needless to say cheese and port

is required to "calm my nerves".
Jo
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:01 pm
by fccs
How frustrating! You totally deserve your cheese and port. Your work is beautiful on all your WIPs.
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:30 am
by Mabel Figworthy
I do dislike confusing instructions! here's to sortingit out with the minimum amount of reverse stitching!
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:20 pm
by rcperryls
Confusing instructions are a very good reason for cheese and port with an extra large glass for the port. I pulled out a few of my TW charts from years (maybe decades) ago. I stitched an afghan for my granddaughter that included some of the Carousel Horses and remembered how complicated the pieces can be. But the end result is always so beautiful that it's worth it. And your piece is certainly going to be beautiful.
Carole

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:38 pm
by Steam.Jo
It took longer to unpick those stitches than it took to put them in
An interesting one: This is an old design so the date block is designed to take a date starting with a 1. Any other digit, say a 2 needs more space.
Thankfully there was sufficient space on the inside of the initials and date blocks to increase the width of the outside frame.
Jo
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:04 am
by rcperryls

Looking good! It almost always takes longer to undo stitches than to stitch them. At least, it always feels like that to me. That’s a good head up on the date difference. Glad you spotted it before you did the stitching. I have a lot of old charts from the 1900’s. If I do any I will hopefully remember what you have had to do.
Carole

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:55 am
by Serinde
Well done for finding a work-around. It's looking beautiful.
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:52 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Clever of you to notice and cleaver to work out how to adjust the design

!
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:33 am
by fccs
Frogging stitches is always more time consuming than the stitching. I unpick each stitch one at a time, using my the tip of my needle. I know some stitchers use seam rippers but I’d be afraid I’d accidentally grab a thread in the fabric.
Well done on the date change.
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:55 pm
by Steam.Jo
I am back on my Butterflies and I have found another Peacock to go with our Small Tortoiseshell:
I am well over 75% complete which is handy as I am hoping my HEAD kit will turn up tomorrow

and other than my floor stand this roller frame is the only one wide enough for it to fit on.
Jo
Re: Jo's Stitching 2023
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:15 pm
by Serinde
Stitch! Stitch! Quick!
