Page 2 of 2
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:21 pm
by meerkat
Hoping everyone from NZ from the forum is safe, including Murmured.. in Christchurch.
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:34 pm
by Slinky
Just heard about this dreadful situation. My thoughts are with all affected by it.
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:56 am
by Murmured
Hi all,
Thanks for the thoughts.
I was at work when the quake hit, in the CBD. I dived under the desk and ceiling panels were falling, breaking glass, it was crazy. After the quake had finished we went down the stairs (am on the 2nd floor) and found a girl trapped in the toilets as we have electronic locks on the doors and the power was out. Luckily one of the men with us kicked the door in and rescued her.
Once outside all the road was cracked and ripped up and the footpath was about 4 inches higher than the curb. We were told to wait in a nearby park while Civil Defence did what needed to be done, and after about 30mins the street was flooded with water and slit and liquefaction and it was threatening to spill into shops.
I managed to contact my partner and started to walk towards his work, which is about 3 blocks away. On the way there I walked past a 5 or 6 story, modern office building that had collapsed. You could see the concrete bits between the floors all stacked on top of each other, with no space in between them. I heard this morning that they think about 65 people are still trapped in that building. I just felt so sick walking past it knowing that people would be inside.
Once I got to my partners work we decided to drive home. It took us about 3 hours to get home (usually 15 min drive) as traffic was so bad. We have liquefaction on our driveway and in the garage. Our brick wall totally collapsed as well. One of the cats is missing, but I got the boys to check under the wall, and he wasn't there so I am hoping he just ran away scared.
It's been over 24 hours now and we don't have power yet. We've been spending lots of time at a friends house as they still have power. I just hope we have power by tonight.
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:10 am
by karen4bells
What an ordeal you've been thru and I hope that your power is returned soon. Sending loads of hugs and prayers your way. Glad to hear from you

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 am
by pamelam
What a frightening thing to go through! I'm glad you're alright!

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:53 am
by ~threadbear~
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:06 am
by Squirrel
So glad you're ok and got out of your building and away from the central area ok. It has been a horrible time for you nad hopefully soon the power will be back on for you.
Hope your cat finds its way home soon, so you can relax that bit more.
thanks for updating us and letting us know you are ok.
Sally
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:53 am
by Rose
A very good friend of ours is down there with his C17 crew shuttling supplies and people back and forth to South Pole. He was in a wine shop down town Christchurch when the shake hit. He said the whole place shattered but he got out with only a few minor cuts. He is now trapped there as he was suppose to go pick up some of the scientists but there is no place for them to come back too. No hotels and no water. They don't know what is going to happen now but all they can do is sit tight and wait for orders. He said he was really shocked that he was in NZ when the quake hit he has never been near any here in California. What bad luck for him to miss them at home but be right in the center when he is away.

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:03 am
by Wandatoo
Just saw the devastation on the news -- such a terrible situation! Thoughts and prayers are with everyone there.

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:09 am
by Lisa
glad everyone is ok. Hope your power is back tonight Murmured. Debbie has checked in on facebook, she and her family are ok

Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:57 am
by milkmaid
it must be so scary ,our thoughts are with you
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:25 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Glad you and yours were unscathed, Murmured, but what a terrible situation!
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 am
by Cecilia
So sorry that you are all going through this again.
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:04 am
by meerkat
Good to hear from you Murmured.Hoping some sort of normality returns soon.
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am
by ~threadbear~
Glad to hear Debbie and family are all fine.
Rose, I hope your friend will be ok. What a shock for him.
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:00 pm
by Angel
Oh Murmered! *hugs* That must have been aweful! I'm so sorry to hear about all the deaths, it must have been heart breaking to walk past that building, knowing that there were people in there and it must have been so scary for them! I almost cried reading that, thank you. Television and news reports have a way of dehumanizing tragedies and it doesn't seem real, but hearing first hand accounts makes us more aware of the human factor. I'm so glad you and your other half are ok and I hope your kitty shows up.
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:07 pm
by gyork
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all in this terrible time.
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:53 am
by grub72
Re: Christchurch Earthquake - again
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:43 pm
by Serinde
What a terrible situation. Good to know our forum folk are ok, and that authorities are still in search and rescue mode. Thought the minister they interviewed on the BBC had the right idea: people are more important than buildings... although I'd add that you'll miss the way your city once looked. What struck me was how resilient NZ-ers are and how everyone seems to be looking after one another. That counts for a lot in these situations.