Page 2 of 4
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2026 3:56 pm
by Serinde
Very clever finish.
Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2026 12:25 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
A bit of work on a wool-on-wool tulip, which has gone through several changes of plan. At the monthly Cake & Craft meeting I managed the laid work (with a bit of shading) on the left-hand leaf.

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2026 11:42 pm
by fccs
Your embroidery is beautiful!
Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:21 am
by richardandtracy
Such talent & care. Always feel in awe of you when I look.
Regards,
Richard
Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 10:54 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Thank you both!
And what do I notice myself when looking at the close-up? That the stitch direction isn't absolutely uniform, and not all the stitches are parallel
Whenever I teach I tell people to be proud of their achievements and not point out their mistakes, but do I listen to my own advice? uh-uh.
One thing I
was very happy about was being able to give the little daisy-on-denim to a friend who is embellishing one of her denim jackets:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2026 8:30 pm
by Serinde
Self-criticism can be useful, unless it stops one doing the thing altogether for fear of failure. You might notice the stitch direction isn't perfect (I blame the RSN, personally), but everyone else? Close enough for Mozart.
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2026 10:38 am
by richardandtracy
To get perfectly parallel stitches with a diagonal stitch that's not 45 degrees and varying stitch length, you'd have to either have variable count fabric or split the fabric threads. And what would the RHS.. err sorry.. RSN say about splitting threads?
To be honest, I'd not even seen it on the close up until you mentioned it.
I do like the roundel on the Denim. Fits the spot perfectly.
Regards,
Richard.
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2026 12:54 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
As it's a tulip it might well come under the RHS Richard!
Strictly speaking this wool fabric is a non-count one, although the weave is open enough that you can treat it as such when that is useful (e.g. with the stem stitch on the stem). But for the purpose of satin stitch or laid stitch at an angle, yes, you do need to split fabric threads and that is allowed, nay, expected

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2026 12:50 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
A bit more on the tulip - all the green is finished.
I worked the last bit of the stem when the left-hand leaf had been finished in the hope of making it look in front of the leaf. The right-hand petal is stitched over a split-stitch outline to make it stand out more and again look more towards the front. I didn't manage to keep the outline as smooth as I'd have liked where it crosses the stem, but I'm pleased with the outline on the rest of the leaf!

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2026 3:10 pm
by Serinde
Clever idea using split stitch to just lift the satin stitch enough to give perspective. Have filed that away!

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2026 4:59 am
by geekishly
Such a cool technique.
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2026 7:21 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I'm keeping the petals in laid stitch as well, the two side petals flat and the middle petal will be done over split stitch to bring it forward.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2026 4:14 am
by geekishly
Looking forward to it.
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2026 4:43 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
A finish! The laidwork tulip in wool, which I'e decided not to outline:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2026 4:45 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I'm now doing the same tulip in blackwork, but with a slightly different arrangement of the petals. I've got it set up on 36ct evenweave over two, and on 20ct aida. And I'll just experiment with the patterns and the shading and see what I like! When I'd finished the stem on this one I thought of a different pattern that would probably work better, so I'll try that on the aida one.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2026 6:08 pm
by Roland
Beautiful
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2026 7:39 pm
by Serinde
I like the black work!!
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2026 10:16 am
by geekishly
Lovely finish and great start. I'm excited to see how the blackwork version turns out.
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2026 3:35 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I've started on my blackwork tulip! there's been a fair bit of unpicking and re-stitching so far, but that's OK as it's a learning project
More details on
FoF.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2026 3:16 pm
by Roland
Personally, I like this more than the satin stitch. All your work is so even and lovely.