Jo's Stitching 2023

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:35 pm I like the way there is that unoutlined green at the top, which keeps the distance effect!
I hadn't really noticed that before, so I think the backstitch on the tree (at least the top) was worth it. This is one beautiful piece!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

As I head up the tail I thought you are probably getting bored of seeing the front so you might like to see the back:

Image

There is a lot of individual stitches here with the next one of the same combined colour pair about 3 or 4 stitches away. As a result I am having to tunnel the threads under the existing stitches.

I am still claiming that this one is easier than the Celestial Dragon scales to do. Apart from both having lots of individual stitches this one only combines the metallic blending filament with one stitch colour :D

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'm afraid I only tunnel if it's rather further away than that - impressed with your dedication!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Serinde »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:29 am I'm afraid I only tunnel if it's rather further away than that - impressed with your dedication!
So am I! :applesauce:
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:05 pm
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:29 am I'm afraid I only tunnel if it's rather further away than that - impressed with your dedication!
So am I! :applesauce:
And I am too. I tunnel closely when I'm stitching an afghan because I don't put a backing on the afghan. For anything going in a frame I only tunnel if its much further away. (I also "cheat" sometimes by stitching single stitches that are relatively far apart first and then doing other stitches that will cover them up)

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Serinde »

That's not "cheating". That's common sense! The back of the Cluny tapestry is full of overstitched threads. Sort of like "parking", but on a grand scale? The point, though, is that nothing will catch those threads and pull or break them.
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

I am heading up the tail:

Image

I do feel that having started stitching just above the centre thread that I am actually progressing on this one :D

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

It's good to give yourself these little milestones (yardstones :-) ?) on such a mammoth project!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:07 am It's good to give yourself these little milestones (yardstones :-) ?) on such a mammoth project!
I agree. I also take a photo at the end of a stitching day and compare it to the previous day. I don't keep them all when the project is finished but that really does help keep me motivated.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:40 pm
Serinde wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:05 pm
Mabel Figworthy wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:29 am I'm afraid I only tunnel if it's rather further away than that - impressed with your dedication!
So am I! :applesauce:
And I am too. I tunnel closely when I'm stitching an afghan because I don't put a backing on the afghan. For anything going in a frame I only tunnel if its much further away. (I also "cheat" sometimes by stitching single stitches that are relatively far apart first and then doing other stitches that will cover them up)

Carole
:dance:
Same here...tunnel when the stitches are further away...
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

I've made it to the half way line on the tail:

Image

:whoop:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Serinde »

It is looking beautiful.
User avatar
richardandtracy
Posts: 6157
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 4:27 pm
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by richardandtracy »

Yes, yes it is.

Noticing your backstitch. Funny, I never do that before completing the cross stitch. It's mostly because I make my own charts and am never sure if something needs sharpening up before completing it. However, it had never occurred to me to do it as I go. :thinks:

Regards,

Richard.
Seriously under the paw.
User avatar
Serinde
Posts: 19554
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Serinde »

I'd lose the will to live if I didn't do the backstitch as I go along these days! :doh:
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by fccs »

richardandtracy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:44 pm Yes, yes it is.

Noticing your backstitch. Funny, I never do that before completing the cross stitch. It's mostly because I make my own charts and am never sure if something needs sharpening up before completing it. However, it had never occurred to me to do it as I go. :thinks:

Regards,

Richard.
I always do mine as I go because it's my least favorite part of the process (even though I love the effect).
Serinde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:49 pm I'd lose the will to live if I didn't do the backstitch as I go along these days! :doh:
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

Earlier on when I did the leaves in the grass I found it very confusing until I did the backstitching. It gave me a reference to see what I was doing. TW loves using pairs of different colour strands and without the backstitching it is nearly impossible to see where you have got to.

The only real colour in the Pear tree is the pears:

Image

But there are over a dozen different split thread pairs in there, the pears alone are using 4. Thankfully there are (mainly) a few of each colour before you have to change colour, and those include 1/4 and 1/2 stitches :roll:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

I agree about the backstitching in a TW design. And I also back stitch as I go on large projects. The HAED is going to be a real easy one without any backstitching, mixed threads and fractional stitches. And yet the detail is still there. It always surprises me.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

I've been finishing off the Lazy Daisy stitching on the bottom Serpentine row:

Image

And have now moved on to adding the Leaf pattern around the border. The chart is confusing:

Image

Those loops seem to begin and end on the fabric threads rather than the holes. I experimented ( :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog: ) a few times before I was happy with a way of doing both the corners and the stitches long the long straights:

Image

There are two different colours of leaves around the border and I am about to add the second colour pair at the bottom. Progress :whoop:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Lovely to see all the detail in that close-up!

Just wondering, as the cross stitches are over two, on the chart there would be a hole right in the centre of a square - perhaps that's where she wants you to place them?
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: this gets more and more beautiful every time you post!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Post Reply