Jo's Stitching 2023

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by fccs »

That bee is adorable!!! And I agree, the beads seem too big. I can't wait to see your replacement ones. This project is stunning!!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

Thank you Debby,

While I wait for my beads (which hopefully will arrive in the next 15 mins with the Postie :roll: ) and before I head off to our sewing group. A quick update on my work on my TW Peacock Tapestry:

Image

Looking at the size of the pears in comparison with my own tree the picture is clearly one of an orchard in early September. Unlike my own Pear tree this one doesn't have any Hornets hanging around it eating the Pears :shock:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

So beautiful! I would have a terrible time trying to decide which piece to work on.
I’ve never had a pear tree that wasps got to, but we had 3 plum trees with the most amazing fragrance from the flowers and I think we were never able to get more than a few plums before the squirrels and birds decimated them before they were ripe.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

Thank you Carole,

The Post man FAILED to deliver my beads yesterday. Today looks to be a good day for stitching: The weather is due to be stinking hot so after this morning in the garden I will be forced into doing more stitching :D

Back to the Peacock: I have found further thread colours which there is not sufficient thread for, this time the browns for the tree trunk/branch. If I had not purchased those spare TW Peacock Threads I would be having to trawl through my thread boxes hoping to find some of the dark browns or waiting another week for each missing colour to turn up.

Bead delivery today :x:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

The new beads have arrived:

Image

:D

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

much better! These beads don't overwhelm the piece and have that same delicate and elegant feel that belongs with this project.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

All the Beads are on and it is finished :whoop:

Image

You can't see the beads so:

Image

And the bottom:

Image

I did enjoy doing this one :D

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I love the bees, and your replacement beads - they do look so much better!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

Thank you Mabel,

I love bees :wub: this morning I rescued a Queen Buff Tailed Bumblebee from my conservatory. She was very tired and hungry having got trapped inside with out food. Initially I put her outside on a flower and she immediately started probing for nectar, quickly it became apparent that one flower was not going provide enough nectar to recharge her so I ended up sitting her with a blob of honey in front of her, it took no time and she was lapping it up. She "drunk" a surprising amount and after an hour took off again. Knowing she was alright has made my day :dance:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by fccs »

Wow! It’s so delicate and absolutely gorgeous!!
Steam.Jo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:56 pm Knowing she was alright has made my day :dance:

Jo
This made my day as well. Last week at work, there was a praying mantis in the store, perched on the ice freezer. I mentioned it to a customer and she immediately opened a bag of lettuce she just bought. She coaxed the praying mantis onto a lettuce leaf and took it outside to a safe place. See? People can be amazing and kind.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

Thank you Debby,

Having finished the Cow Parsley I have been routing around for another quick and easy piece to make. With my sunflowers going over to seed (the birds have not found them yet :wink: ) and the geese regularly flying overhead doing their training flights it had to be :

Image

Bothy Thread's Sunshine :) But I must show self control as I have other pieces to finish and before all of that I have a lot of gardening to catch up on before it starts raining.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: So so so beautiful. The new beads add to the delicacy and elegance of the piece. Perfectly perfect!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Mabel Figworthy
Posts: 34208
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:05 pm
Location: Dunchurch, UK
Contact:

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Love the new project, and sitting here with a big smile caused by the bumblebee and praying mantis stories!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
RSN Certificate & Online, Henry the Harmless Lion
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by fccs »

Sunshine looks like it will be a fun stitch. I think the Wrendales tend to work up relatively quickly.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

Yes, the Wrendale is going to be fun :D

In the meantime more work on my Peacock:

Image

I have done most of the tree branch under the centre line and my next target is to complete everything under the branch.

Where there are fresh pears ripe enough to fall (if you recall that far back :roll: ) you also find:

Image

Hornets :shock:

First thing to know about Hornets is they are not outright aggressive (unlike normal wasps) but if you have the misfortune of trying to pick a pear and catching a Hornet it might sting you, in which case quickly douse the area with vinegar and it will neutralise the sting :wink: Now that we have got that over lets sing the praises of the Gardner's friend the Hornet: It is an important pollinator and a predator of species that feed on our plants and crops. A noticeable feature, other than they are huge at up to 35mm long, is that they are Brown and Yellow rather than black and yellow of most bee/wasp species. Leave them alone and they will ignore you and go about their business of helping in the garden.

Here in the UK we are beginning to be invaded by the Asian Hornet which is another mainly black and yellow wasp, which is slightly smaller than our native European Hornet but they have a nasty habit of preying on Honey Bees and other pollinators.

Image

If you think you see one of these here in the UK please notify the authorities as a Bee keeper these are the last type of Wasp I want anywhere near my garden.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

Beautiful update on the Peacock ! Making really good progress.

And interesting information about wasps. I have no idea about the ones we have over here other than they love to make nests under the eaves of houses. We also have mud daubers which are wasps that I think build individual nests from mud and those are found near windows and doorways.
I stay away from all of them.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
fccs
Posts: 9697
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by fccs »

I know flying, stinging things are important pollinators. I also know I don’t like being around them. That’s one reason I don’t have flowers on my little patio, only three pots with succulents (hen and chicks). And I just spotted a squirrel sitting in one of the pots, so that was cool.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
History of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Innocent Dreams
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

Yesterday during a thunder storm I was stitching around on my Harvester sampler and I realised I had missed out "wrapping" the serpentine backstitch rows:

Image

It is simply stitching some Old Gold Rayon thread around each of the backstitch stitches but I think it does improve matters.

This morning I am back on my Peacock and realised it was time to scroll the piece down:

Image

I had been stitching under the branch with the aim of first getting past the centre line (so I could claim being half way there :roll: ) and then finishing filling in under the branch but :shock: I have just spotted there is another branch of leaves and pears on the right of the Peacock's tail and they are still under the centre line of the piece :doh:

I may have mentioned that these TW kits are short of threads. I think over the last week I have found another 3 colours have run out on me doing the branches/pears so more would have been needed. Luckily you may recall I purchased a second hand TW Peacock which was missing the fabric and had what I suspect is two sets of threads in it. The better news is TW has a limited range of thread colours she likes to use so these will be spares for the other TW kits I have or Charts I might want to kit up :D

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
User avatar
rcperryls
Posts: 32992
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:36 pm
Location: SC, USA

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by rcperryls »

Easy to miss a section in a TW design. There is so much and so much detail. I think I tend to avoid ready made kits because of issues I've had in the past with the amount of thread provided (or not provided). If I remember correctly TW kits provide the DMC number so that if you have extra thread you can use it for other projects. Peacock is really beautiful.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
User avatar
Steam.Jo
Posts: 1909
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Jo's Stitching 2023

Post by Steam.Jo »

There seems to be very little stitching going on :thinks: I've just gone over the half way line on the picture part of my Peacock :whoop:

But I now have to work on the Harvest Sampler. The Wheat row is proving to be very challenging:

Image

and I have miss counted the placement of the wheat a few times resulting in some :ribbit: The target is to finish off this row this afternoon when it is due to be raining :wink:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, Magpie Shrub, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Post Reply