Page 3 of 4
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2026 12:56 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Finished the blackwork tulip - this afternoon I'll be trying a bit of silk shading sampling!

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2026 11:39 am
by geekishly
This turned out so beautiful!
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2026 2:49 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I unpicked the stem I did on the tulip and restitched it. There is still something I don't quite like about it but I'm not unpicking it a second time!

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2026 2:50 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I've finished the leaf; quite pleased with the shading, achieved with two different thread weights plus leavingbits of the pattern out.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2026 4:33 pm
by Serinde
I like the contrast between the two leaf colours.
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2026 10:35 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Between the left and the right leaf, do you mean? The right-had leaf is the lightest, both in colour and in pattern; it's also the most complicated and therefore the most likely to lead to miscounting...
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2026 1:01 pm
by Serinde
As long as you have enough fingers and toes...
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2026 3:28 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
A bit more tulip:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2026 4:08 pm
by Serinde
Enjoying this.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2026 4:15 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Just the gold (or possibly silver) to add to this.
On the advice of two people at our monthly Cake & Craft, one of whom has taken several of my courses at the local adult education college, this tulip will be one of the projects in the course I'm hoping to teach later this year. It was going to be Norway, Ireland, India (Hardanger, Mountmellick, Shisha), but as the Mountmellick design so far exists only in my head, it'll now be Norway, England-via-Spain, India

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 12:31 pm
by Serinde
Sounds wonderful!
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2026 4:19 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
The tulip is all outlined - I used doubled silver wavy passing.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2026 4:20 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
And another bit of blackwork experimenting, this time on 28ct black evenweave. This one I'm thinking of outlining with stem stitch instead of metal.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2026 12:15 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
And a bit more:

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2026 2:47 pm
by Serinde
Nice, nice, nice!
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2026 4:30 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I first tried a different pattern for the blue and it just looked wrong, so I unpicked it and did it again

Likewise this morning I unpicked one of the "flames" on the church banner because the tip had somehow got attached crooked - and how I didn't see that when I first sewed it on I do not know!
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2026 10:38 am
by Serinde
Too close to the subject... literally?
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2026 8:02 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Very likely. When you are sewing with your eyes 4 inches from the work, and the flame you are sewing on is two feet high, it's difficult to keep an overview...
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2026 8:05 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I'm not sure about the pattern I'm using for the last petal on the not-blackwork-on-black but I think I'll leave it - it's not ideal but i think it'll just about work in the overall look.
One of my reasons for doing this flower is that i wanted to see how shaded you could get in a relatively small space on a relatively coarse fabric, and I'm pleasantly surprised by it! (Next pic when I've actaully finished it.)
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2026 11:04 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Finished.The flower shape is actually for a silk-and-gold design that I haven't started stitching yet, so I chose colours similar to that design.
