Page 4 of 5

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2026 9:17 am
by Serinde
The stranding is subtle, but definitely there.

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2026 1:43 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
DH had a meeting last night so I took the opportunity to do some more stitching on this little project. I've decided to substitue a different pattern for one of the ones in Sarah's design as I don't like the look of the charted one - not in this flower anyway.

The petal in progress is one of the ones that was on a diagonal in the original, but I think it works better on a straight one. The lighter pattern was originally on a horizontal petal but it feels more like a diagonal pattern to me. Isn't it wonderful how you can make any project your own?

I've now done all the dark petals, next are the three medium ones, then the two light ones.

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2026 6:47 am
by geekishly
It is so fun making projects your own! This is looking very lovely

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2026 3:04 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Tulip-stitch petal completed (there was an incorrect stitch in the previous picture - I'd got the pattern slightly wrong, but fortunately it wasn't too difficult to put right), started the diagonal diamond tile pattern.

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2026 12:40 pm
by Serinde
Enjoying these develop. It's very effective even in this relatively small area, so I wonder if shading is more effective in a larger area?

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2026 12:59 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Oh, it definitely would be - then you can work with perhaps four or five degrees of thread-weight, and also break up the pattern as you come to the lighter weights. I'm putting together a travel project for when we go to Spring Harvest next week which will have a little more scope I think; it will also look different because it will be on evenweave over two.

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2026 4:42 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Progress on the blackwork daisy - I decided to fill the centre with stitching rather than gold kid leather as in the model, although I may still cover it up! Now just the gold outlines of the petals to do:

Image

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2026 6:09 pm
by Roland
That is so beautiful. It’s like crossing needlework with rubber stamping.

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2026 7:54 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Oh, what an interesting take on it - yes, I can see what you mean!

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2026 2:40 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
And finally the outline in gold check thread:

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2026 7:37 pm
by Serinde
Love the way you’ve done the centre. The outlining of the petals is beautiful. I guess I thought you’d outline with the same gold thread from the centre.

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2026 8:54 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
The pattern in the centre is done in one colour, in squares, either empty or with a half stitch or with a full cross, which creates the shading. It's just stranded cotton, but it is a lovely shade of golden yellow! At first I didn't outline the centre, but as I'd finished the petals and not yet plunged the gold thread I decided it did need it, so i took the gold thread round it.

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2026 10:17 am
by geekishly
So beautiful, Mabel! The goldwork outline really adds the perfect finishing touch.

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2026 2:13 am
by Roland
So beautiful.

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Fri May 29, 2026 2:46 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
During our holiday I mostly did a bit of playing-with-stitches rather than proper projects, but it was fun! A laundry-basket-inspired selection of blackwork patterns, trying to work out a detached popcorn lazy daisy, and a sort-of-chrysanthemum made up of rings of rosette chain stitch.

(more on FoF)

Image

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2026 4:38 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
We've finally started on those church banners we were going to work on between Christmas and New Year....
and it's turning into rather more work than we thought (surprise surprise). Mr F helped a little too :-)

More details on FoF.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 12:32 pm
by Serinde
At least you might be cool in the church?

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2026 2:00 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Alas, no - this is not a centuries-old building with 3-foot thick walls. In fact at last night's church meeting we voted on air-conditioning for the hotter of the upstairs rooms. And the sewing happens upstairs (though not in that room).

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 8:57 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
DH gave me a two-day RSN class at Hampton Court Palace for my birthday, and I had a lovely time! Heather Lewis taught "Little Thatched Cottage", which has loads of different stitches and textures and interesting materials. These pics show a metallic mesh ribbon, a hill stitched in four different stitches, and the finished article.
As usual more details and pictures on FoF.

Image

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's other stitching 2026

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2026 8:03 am
by Serinde
Enjoyed the process on FoF. Very clever design -- I really like her stuff.