Page 4 of 4
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2026 4:30 pm
by Serinde
Very striking. How big is it? Particularly like the way you self-outlined each petal.
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2026 5:57 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
It's in a 4" hoop. The self-outlining was challenging as it was difficult to keep the stem stitch regular while working a free-form shape on a counted fabric, but I wanted an alternative to the gold/silver outlining I'd been using so far.
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2026 10:16 am
by Mabel Figworthy
With this one I tried to do several things - see how small an area you can get away with on 28th and still make the patterns show up; do a traditional black-on-white one; take passing through the fabric to minimise stopping and starting; see how patterns work side by side.
The left-hand petal originally had a different pattern but i didn't like it, sampled a few and substituted the present one. If I was doing it again I'd probably swap a few patterns around for a better balance, but on the whole I like it.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2026 2:57 pm
by Serinde
Like to over all effect very much. Must confess that I couldn't have left the round centre's inner diamond without the upright stitches, tho!

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2026 7:55 pm
by geekishly
just catching up, and such lovely finishes!
Re: Mabel's Designs 2026
Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2026 3:52 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I've been writing a bit more about my blackwork adventures on
FoF
