Page 1 of 1
Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:09 am
by yelena
DMC, Anchor... the other one that sounds like some sort of cake? Which one is the best to use?
Also, anyone know a good site where I can order them from? I live in Manchester city centre and its not cross stitch friendly (or friendly in general to be honest

)and the closest hobby craft is about an hour away as I dont drive and is charging £1.30 for DMC, seems a bit steep to me. Maybe I'm just tight though xx
Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:18 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Hi Yelena, welcome to the forum! Because of the scarcity of local needlework shops, not to mention prices, many people buy their threads online; several places sell "in bulk" so you pay about 35p a skein if yo buy 50 or 100 -- that's not the exact price, but just to give you an idea.
There's been a thread about the differences (or lack thereof) between DMC and Anchor, it must still be around somewhere; not sure people discussed Madeira threads there, personally I've only used their silk and some of their metallics so can't help with that. I think the general conclusion was that people stitch with a) what they are used to and b) what is readily available to them

Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 am
by yelena
ah thanks for that!
Theres a little market/hut thing a bit our of town but their stuff is so old its covered in dust and dirt. I've been a few times hoping maybe I caught them on a bad day but it was like that every time.
Buying online isnt a problem, its always nice to get something other than bills in the post
I've just noticed a review of sites so I'm going to take a peek at the top rating ones

Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:33 pm
by mig-3
Mabel Figworthy wrote: not sure people discussed Madeira threads there, personally I've only used their silk and some of their metallics so can't help with that.
FWIW, I've used Madeira's six-strand cotton floss several times. It's a great product. It strands easily, has good coverage and very nice sheen. The packaging is a love/hate affair. I hate it.
Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:38 pm
by Angel
I use both anchor and DMC, although I mainly use DMC, and I don't think there's any difference between them except maybe DMC has more colours.
Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 pm
by Bad Pippa
Hi.I don't like Madeira packaging too.Use DMC myself.I just purchased 30 dmc threads for arond £10 from ebay.I think this is a good price?

Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 pm
by ~threadbear~
I've picked up some good bargains for threads on ebay. I got a few boxes of them where people have stopped stitching and want to sell off their floss. You can't pick the colours of course, but you can get a good start on having your own collection this way.
I know a few have bought threads from Katz on ebay and I got a really good deal on some from Hong Kong which were the real thing and a great price. Haven't seen him doing them for awhile though.
I also had a 'floss fairy', one of our U.S members, who picked up a bundle of threads for some of us on the forum when they were on offer and that worked out alot cheaper for us all as well.

Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:44 pm
by yelena
thats a really good idea!
I'd love to be able to do a couple of little patterns as cards etc but dont have any thread

Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:39 pm
by MaggieM1750
This is the link to the other discussion. It was on top of page 4 in the General section.
Up on the top of each page is a Search box. We tend to be a chatty group so if there is a question you have... what is frogging? what is HAED? who lives near me? you can use that search box to find posts on this site. Also, its either on the first page of the General or the Tips and Tricks section where Rose has a listing of commonly used terms, types of stitches, types of fabrics, how to post photos, etc.
Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:19 pm
by Raven
I have used both DMC and Anchor and don't see a difference in them. I have yet to stitch with Madeira though I do have a couple packages.
I got a lot of floss off ebay which is how I finally got a full set of DMC and am three-quarters to having a full set of Anchor. You can get some real good deals on ebay, just be careful to ensure that it is real DMC or Anchor that you are getting.
HUGS
Raven
Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:32 pm
by dragon
I have a really good store in my town (although there too expensive), but the saleslady telled me that the difference between Anchor and DMC is the color intensity. And I thought I read it on the HAED site too. They have a few charts with Anchor threads now.
Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 pm
by Cecilia
I've bought DMC threads at one of the needlecraft shows from Ash Tree Designs which they sell very cheaply.
I've never bought anything off them on line but here is their website in case you want to take a look.
http://www.strandedcotton.co.uk/index.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
They have different price ranges depending how many you buy but the minimum you have to buy is 10 skeins.
Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 pm
by yelena
they are a fair bit cheaper than what I paid Cecilia, I'll book mark them for later. Though their postage is £2 flat out so I'll make sure to order a lot lol
I paid 64p each for my threads. I dont know what the correct term for them is. They are the ones that are looped together and held with little bits of paper- normal types as far as I know though there probably is a term

Re: Threads
Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:02 pm
by Cecilia
I think the ones you've bought sound like DMC or Anchor. I think the correct term is skein but we know what you mean when you say 'threads' because most of us say threads or floss.
Re: Threads
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:23 am
by Mystonique
mig-3 wrote: FWIW, I've used Madeira's six-strand cotton floss several times. It's a great product. It strands easily, has good coverage and very nice sheen. The packaging is a love/hate affair. I hate it.
I concur wholeheartedly. Hate the packaging but the product is great. My preference generally is for DMC - easy to get, brighter, stronger colours than Anchor IMO.
Re: Threads
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:03 am
by yelena
Are Madeira threads on a spool?
I've ordered Anchor for this project. Dont believe I've ever used it before so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Re: Threads
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:04 pm
by mig-3
yelena wrote:Are Madeira threads on a spool?
Hi, Yelena. Madeira embroidery comes in a flat plastic pack like this:

The end of the thread is caught in the bottom edge of the package. You tear a notch at the thread and pull it out of the pack. If you look closely at the pic, you can see the nub of the thread peeking out.
Sorry for the poor photo quality. I only had time to grab one and snap a quick pic.
HTH,
Re: Threads
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm
by yelena
Ah! right got you
Thanks for that x