Page 1 of 2

Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2025 10:59 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Canvaswork over, on with silk shading - no time to get bored! (More about the prep in FoF)

I've had my image approved, hooped up a sample cloth, dressed the slate frame with the background calico, picked my colours. Ready to go :-)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2025 2:27 pm
by Serinde
Bet HAED would get at least 15 colours into that stem. :lol:

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2025 2:54 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Probably! The tutor advised me to pick just 2, but I have snuck in one or two extras...

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2025 10:43 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
More prep: colour plans, tonal plans, stitch order, stitch direction, prick & pounce, painting on... One day I'll actually get to stitch something :-)
(More - also about two other projects - on FoF)

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2025 2:10 am
by fccs
I can’t wait to see this one grow!

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2025 6:27 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I seem to have been very remiss in updating this - not that it's going very quickly :roll: Anyway, after today's class this is the state of play:

Image

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2025 9:08 am
by Serinde
Does it feel good working with embroidery threads again? Looks wonderful.

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2025 11:00 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Instead of goldwork materials, do you mean? Yes, it is rather fun, and much more detailed, but also much harder on the eyes; my tutor said she never does more than 45 minutes at most in one stretch before taking a break.

I did, for the first time in three months, do some homework yesterday, and finished the petal. I can see all sorts of things that I could have done differently, but on the whole I'm pleased with it; more to the point, Kathryn (the tutor) said of the bit I did in class that she could see definite progress in the smoothness of my long & short, which was encouraging!

Image

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2025 11:20 am
by geekishly
This is coming along beautifully!

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2025 5:54 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Progress! A little at a time, but progress. (Two pics to show the difference the direction of the light makes.)

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2025 9:04 am
by Serinde
Wow! It really does.

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2025 5:38 pm
by geekishly
Wow, absolutely stunning

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2025 12:42 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Latest update:

Image

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2025 10:00 pm
by geekishly
So beautiful!

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2025 7:37 am
by Serinde
So painstaking!

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2025 5:23 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
A bit more progress on the petal. I'm finding it hard to get stitching time, partly because of Life but partly because the light is rarely good enough. I do prefer natural daylight to work by, but I may have to compromise over the winter :-(

Image

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2025 7:46 am
by Serinde
Or you need to be ferocious about claiming any good daylight hours over the winter...

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2025 8:55 am
by Mabel Figworthy
About to do half an hour this morning!

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2025 1:46 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Nice bright light so did a bit more - thank you DH :-) - some sampling to replicate a particularly tricky patch of greyish yellowish pink (the greyishness is almost impossible to get, but so be it) and further progress on the petal.

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's RSN Certificate - silk shading

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2025 7:28 am
by geekishly
They have some good, low energy use LED lightbulbs now that work in standard light fixtures. Might be work getting one for stitching with?

Your progress is lovely as always.