Page 1 of 2
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2025 5:24 pm
by Serinde
geekishly wrote: Tue Nov 18, 2025 2:20 am
I’m excited to be working on the same SAL as you. It’ll be fun!
Maybe we should set up a separate thread for it?
@Mabel: here is an image of the difference between Sulky 12wt (top) and a single thread of DMC 310. Stitched on 28ct Brittney (stash!).

Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 Nov
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 11:24 am
by geekishly
A separate thread might be nice. I haven’t started yet, I’m trying to get this gift finished up so I can mail it off so it gets to my friend in time for Christmas. But I know I work quickly on blackwork once I get started, so I’m hoping to catch up fairly quickly.
ETA: decided to do a test. Not pictured is the horrible attempt with DMC E310. From left to right we have DMC C310, sulky 30wt, and standard DMC 310. I think I’m going with the C310.
You can’t tell in the photo, but the C310 has a lovely subtle sparkle. (Also the stitching is a bit sloppy because I was doing this on a tiny scrap in hand.)
Re: Serindë's Stitching 2025 19 Nov
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2025 4:09 pm
by Serinde
I never considered C310... 30wt is hardly there! C310 is a bit thicker than the others, but I must say that I find that thread quite soft. Anyway, I'll not steal your thunder, because the sparkle will look a bit like frost on the snowflakes and railings -- perfect. Perhaps you could use DMC 310 on anything that might not be perceived as "outside" in the design??
I'll set up a separate thread. And I'll see if I can figure out how to move relevant posts into the new space.
(ETA: success!)
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2025 12:42 am
by geekishly
Excellent!
That’s a possibility I hadn’t considered. But I’m planning to do it on opal fabric, so I think it will look great if it’s all subtly sparkly. It should give it a look like you’re outside while it’s snowing looking in.
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2025 12:16 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
i rather like the chunky look of the 12wt. What is the C-type DMC?
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2025 4:37 pm
by Serinde
C stands for Etoile threads. It has a sparkly strand twisted into the thread.
https://www.dmc.com/GB/en-GB/products/mouline-etoile
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2025 6:42 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Ah yes, I've heard of it. Is it easy to work with? And does it have the same sort of sparkle as normal DMC combined with blending filament?
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2025 9:50 pm
by Serinde
It’s slightly different because the sparkly filament is the same colour as the thread, except in the case of black and white, I think, where the sparkle is silver as in a typical filament thread. I find it soft, but the results are quite pleasant. Certainly simpler than dealing with blending filament.
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2025 11:24 pm
by geekishly
Still worth using a thread conditioner with it like when using filament, but it does work much better for blackwork than using blending filament since it can bend a lot more smoothly.
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2025 9:35 am
by geekishly
Got a start on this finally.

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2025 12:42 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Pretty! Blackwork always looks so delivate and lacy.
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2025 5:58 pm
by Serinde
Lovely!!
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2025 8:56 am
by geekishly
Thanks! I meant to share this earlier, but further progress as of a couple days ago.

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2025 8:04 am
by Serinde
You've turned corners!!
I'll be getting back to this, probably (gulp) Monday. This week has been full-on and non-stop! (and it's not quite over yet...)
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2025 8:26 pm
by geekishly
Sadly, that's as far as I can get until I return to Michigan in January. It was simply too big to take on the train with me since I basted it onto a scroll frame.
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2026 8:25 am
by Serinde
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2026 10:47 am
by Mabel Figworthy
And no way of fudging it successfully I suppose? I am really sorry that happened and i just hope it doesn't put you off the project!
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2026 8:36 am
by Serinde
It's come close, believe me. Luckily for the project, there is still a bit of rugby on the TV and rather too many rainy days.
Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2026 9:01 pm
by Serinde
It’s coming along. I’m very tempted to put it away for a bit and work on some of my other UFOs. But then, would this become a UFO or a PO (postponed object)? It’s deceptively difficult in places.

Re: The Steady Thread Christmas House 2025
Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2026 10:32 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Coming along very well! I can see the temptation to take a break and do something different, but I can also see the danger of another UFO.... Perhaps have two very different projects on the go, and both "out in the open" so it's easy to pick them up alternatigly? You are the only one who can make that call I'm afraid.