Page 1 of 3
2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2026 10:12 am
by Serinde
No Hogmanay casualties again this year. Dr Tiny Cat and all the nurses are pleased to have a patient to look after, but hope 2026 continues quiet.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2026 6:09 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Just had a follow-up appointment for my hand because it is still quite swollen and tender, and my wrist is very stiff. More x-rays and some proding and squeezing of the hand (ouch), no other breaks, original break still nicely aligned, level of pain apparently about right for four-and-a-half weeks in (or "about the halfway stage to healing" as the consultant said. What?!? I was told 6 weeks!)
I've been referred for physio and need to start moving everything more (fingers, wrist), and lift light things (small handbag yes, shopping no); no opening jars yet, or anything that puts too much strain on it. What is too much? When it hurts....
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2026 6:38 pm
by geekishly
Glad to hear you’re healing up. Hope the remainder goes quickly.
So this past weekend I sprained my foot tripping over my own foot/slipper as I was about to sit down with my meal. Managed to not send all the food flying, though I did lose a green bean to the floor. I had waited a day to see how it was feeling before going to Urgent Care about it. They took x-rays and found that I had no fractures, so that was a relief. I got myself a little post-surgery shoe to help me evenly distribute weight across my foot so I wouldn’t mess it up more.
It’s healing nicely and I’m only wearing the shoe now when I’m going to be on my feet for more than a couple minutes. No point putting it on to walk across the apartment for food or drink or any other biological needs. But I’m wearing it when I’m doing chores and the such.
In other health news, I’ve gotten referred to occupational therapy for my hands. Intake for that is March 3rd. Been having a fair bit of joint issues in my hands for some time and I want to get fitted for silver splint rings to help keep my fingers from hyperextending as they’re wont to do thanks to hEDS. I really should have done this ages ago, but I had no clue insurance could possibly pay for the rings, and at $100+ per finger, getting fully set up was going to be over a grand. Not something I could really afford out of pocket. I’ve been making do with using med tape on the bad days, but that’s ineffective and has to be frequently changed. And it would be better overall for my hands if I had something I could wash my hands with and only take off/put on at the beginning and end of each day.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2026 7:03 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Glad to hear the ankle wasn't broken - and even better news about the splint rings!
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2026 7:30 pm
by geekishly
I meant to say foot not ankle, so I’ve edited it, but yes! I am also glad my foot wasn’t broken. And that I’ll be eventually getting the splint rings
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2026 11:46 am
by richardandtracy
That's a relief. Hope you make a full recovery soon.
Regards,
Richard
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2026 11:28 pm
by geekishly
Doing much better now. I’m able to get around without the special shoe. Still some pain here and there if I’m on it too long, but generally doing better.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2026 8:37 am
by Serinde
That's wonderful to know.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2026 10:11 am
by Mabel Figworthy
Glad the special shoe is helping!
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2026 7:02 pm
by Roland
Luca, glad there’s no break and that the show is helping. Igoogled to see what splint rings are. Glad to hear they will be covered.
I have gotten a brace for my back. It helps with standing to do dishes or laundry, and also helps with walking. I found that wearing the brace in stores, while pushing a buggy was especially good. So I bought myself a Rollator, with a seat and small basket. Insurance gave us a hard time on both, but eventually refunded most of the purchase price.
I started a new medication for osteoporosis. It’s supposed to prevent further degeneration of my bones. It’s a once a week poll, and I hated it. The other drug the doctor wanted me to take was $640 every 28 days, I managed to find ways to lower the cost, and will be starting it this week. It’s a daily injection that I sill give myself. This one is supposed to grow back bone and actually help the broken bone heal faster.
The doctor also referred me to an Osteoporosis Clinic, and a Pain Clinic.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2026 12:00 am
by geekishly
Sounds like you’re making great strides in getting the care you need. I have a rollator with a seat, too, but it doesn’t get much use because I have to get it up a flight of stairs to get outside with it and then back down when I return. But it came in handy on my trip to Missouri for the holidays. I’m definitely glad to have it, that’s for sure.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2026 1:42 pm
by geekishly
The last few weeks have been really tough for me. Anxiety, grief, depression, chronic pain. The laws that are trying to be passed in this country worry me so damn much. In order to reduce anxiety, I've been trying to spend less time online. I just really want to feel safe. I've also been dealing with grief over losing my step-mom in 2024.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2026 4:43 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I'm sorry it's all weighing down on you, Luca, I hope you have spaces and people that make you feel safe!
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2026 11:39 am
by geekishly
I do. Spent yesterday with my extended found family and we had pizza and watched the new season of Percy Jackson on Disney.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2026 6:00 pm
by Roland
Luca, so many people I know are feeling similar. And yet, many in my country want to follow those footsteps.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2026 3:21 pm
by geekishly
I got fitted for oval 8 ring splints on my left hand yesterday. Going to get fitted for my right hand next week, and then we’re going to work on learning exercises.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2026 3:43 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Here's hoping they do the trick - good luck with the exercises!
I'm still doing exercises for my left hand, and seeing the physiotherapist every three weeks. The fingers are more or less back to normal, although still feeling tender, but it's the wrist that is the main problem at the moment, improved but still very stiff and painful. If on my next visit to the physiotherapist it is no bck to near-normal she says we may need a scan to see if there is soft-tissue damage in the wrist which wouldn't have shown up on the x-rays. Wait and see.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2026 8:52 am
by Serinde
Luca, I've often had reason to bless my "found" family. Do hope the splints do their thing as you hope.
Mabel, I hope the medics do get to the bottom of your wrist issue soon.
Roland, we live in interesting times. (Alas)
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2026 6:52 pm
by geekishly
I’m so glad to have them in my life.
On day three of wearing the splints during the day and I’ve definitely noticed improvement in pain and swelling. I’m starting to get used to them now and I’m going to try crafting with them. Will have to remove one of the eight of them to be able to use my trolley needle. I have one on both the middle and top knuckles on each finger, so it’s only the top one I’ll need to remove, but the trolley needle kind of helps with that joint anyway.
Re: 2026 St Cross Stitchers
Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2026 3:16 am
by Roland
The doctor at the Pain Clinic said my pain wasn’t from the fracture as much as from arthritis. Due to how much my bones have lost density he only gave me half the amount of the medicine in my back, and I go back in 2 months.
In the mean time, I think I’ve torn a muscle in my back.
I hope everyone is healing and feeling better.