Page 1 of 4

Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2026 11:23 am
by Mabel Figworthy
I managed to finish the Shisha flower, getting a bit carried away so I now know what amounts to too much stitching (not that much, unfortunately), and what I can and can't do (no two-handed stitching, but it is possible to manipulate sequins and beads with minimal second-hand involvement). Still, it's my first finish of 2026! And I've made it into a card, for our minister's wife who has been organising some great Ladies' Socials as well as celebrating her 60th birthday this week.

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2026 9:06 am
by Serinde
Beautiful. You are very clever in the way you combine colours and materials into always-interesting pieces. Whoever receives this lovely card will be well chuffed!

(Rest that hand!!)

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2026 11:30 pm
by geekishly
Hear hear! It’s a lovely finish.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2026 5:08 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
I started this little tulip back in December, in the Netherlands, because I needed something to show how to attach passing thread to my cousin's two daughters that I was doing goldwork with. That sounds more complicated than it was. Anyway, I stitched the flower, and the gold on the central petal; the idea was to have more gold, experimenting with single/double and different outlines but then the hand happened. Last weekend I tried to add some of it. It's not as even as usual, but I like the look of it. Now it's back to resting the hand. Yes, I required painkillers after these bits of couching. But if I don't try, I don't know!

Image

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2026 8:52 am
by Serinde
It's only human to push the boundaries or (in this case) check the state of play in the healing process. And to have such a lovely little piece to show for it is very special.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2026 12:42 pm
by geekishly
lovely work! I hope your hand continues to heal well.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2026 12:44 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
The fracture clinic consultant said to let pain be my guide - discomfort is fine, pain means stop.

More gold to go on in a few more short sessions, then it will be made into a card to send to a Turkish refugee family we got to know while they stayed in the refugee hotel in our village; they have been moved to another place and I want to send them a Hope You're Settling In card (and keep in touch about how their right-to-remain interviews are going) and a tulip felt right because although they are thought of as the typical Dutch flower, they originated in Turkey :-)

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2026 4:30 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
A bit more physiotherapy in the form of couching :-)

Image

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2026 8:15 am
by Serinde
Couching is a much under-rated technique.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2026 12:01 am
by geekishly
So beautiful!!

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2026 7:11 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
Finished! though not yet made into a card.
Sadly the Turkish family had their application for right to remain turned down, and the poor lady lost her baby possibly because of the stress. I'm afraid a tulip card doesn't really seem at all adequate at a time like this.

Image

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2026 8:51 am
by Serinde
What a tragedy for everyone.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2026 3:37 pm
by geekishly
Perhaps not adequate, as I don’t think most things would be. However, it does show you care and are thinking of them.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2026 10:58 am
by Mabel Figworthy
A doesn-'t-matter-what-it-looks-like-but-it-exercises-the-hand project in progress:

Image

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2026 2:13 am
by geekishly
I love it!

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2026 5:12 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
The card I sent to the Turkish family I mentioned. The daughter is settling in at her new school and they're appealing their application decision.

Image

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2026 8:55 am
by Serinde
Fingers crossed that what's best for the child and family is what actually comes to pass. I'm sure they would have appreciated your card.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2026 8:31 pm
by geekishly
Wishing the best for them.

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2026 7:05 pm
by Mabel Figworthy
A small finish - with the ladybird dedicated to my grandson who loves looking for them in the garden, and my granddaughter who dressed up as one for World Book Day. I can only guess that she was a Ladybird Book.

Image

Image

Re: Mabel's Designs 2026

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2026 10:08 pm
by geekishly
So cute!