tips for getting started on a large project

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

marniecat

tips for getting started on a large project

Post by marniecat »

Hi all!

I am very new to cross stitching and would like some advice about getting started on a large project.

I'm about to start a project that is 14" x 18", would most of you use a hoop for something that large or a frame?
My local Joanne's doesn't have a frame this large, would I buy a smaller one and move it around? Do you just reposition the hoop or frame clamping down over existing stitches? That part really scares me.

Do you grid your fabric? This one I am starting is a Dimensions kit (Walking To Town) with navy blue 18ct Aida. White pencil? Does it wash out or do you soak it or sponge it?

Any advice for tackling this would be appreciated!

Thank you everyone!
-Marnie
MaggieM1750

Re: tips for getting started on a large project

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Hi.. welcome to the forum..

I use Q Snap frames. JoAnn's doesn't carry them in the store but they do online... in the quilting supplies. Its a square plastic frame that you can mix and match different pieces to change the size. I move it around all the time.
Even with a regular hoop, your stitches will bounce back once you wash or iron your project. I wouldn't leave a hoop on for an extended amount of time but it should be fine. If your worried about it leaving marks or pulling, you can put a piece of fabric between your stitches and your hoop to protect them.

I have a white pencil which I had intended on using on darker fabrics.. but I wasn't happy with the way it washed out in my little test area. Something I have heard but not tried was dressmakers chalk rather than a pencil. Not sure if that washes out better, or how fine a line you can get with chalk.
Reta

Post by Reta »

I grid my fabric using cotton does not take all that long to do

I find the middle count the stitches i need to go both ways then just grid a quarter once started you just cut the cotton as you go

I use roller frames that way i can leave them set up
purvislets

Post by purvislets »

For big projects, I use the biggest hoop that I can find so I don't have to move it as much. I've heard great things about q-snaps, but I don't have any personal knowledge of them.

I actually used a White Marking Pen from Clover for darker fabrics. I started out using the pencil, but found that the lines would disappear far too often to be effective. The pen goes on clear but then dries white and washes out very easily.
~Lauren
My Blog -- http://ambitiousstitches.blogspot.com

WIP:
"Cinderella Wishes Upon a Dream" - Thomas Kinkade Disney Dream collection
(Forum Post HERE)
BrownEyedGirl

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

I second the qsnaps suggestion. I have two sets, one small one and the large one. I can mix and match them to get just the right size that I need. They also make grime covers for then that protect your fabric from the oils in your hands. I find them easier than hoops, I can never get them tight enough or get my fabric flat. I'm a challenged individual. :lol:

Amanda
WIP's
The Christmas Star - HEAD
Enchanted Alphabet - L&L
Preamble Sampler - Feelin Stitchy

Finished 2011
Dreamin'
Rose

Post by Rose »

You already have very good advise. I have 5 Q-snaps and I mix and match to get whatever size I need they are terrific. I have never had any stitches ruined do to the hoop or frame covering them. If you want your project held in all directions then you will want to stay away from the roller frames as the 2 sides are left loose. I can not get on very well with that type of frame but otehrs swear by them so it is a very personal choice.

I have never used a grid to help me stitch. I can not take the time to do it and it is called counted cross so I just count and sometimes make mistakes. :roll: I have used a pencil to mark the center of the fabric and that was a terrible mistake to this day I can still see the mark on that design. Be sure to use a washable fabric pen if you do decide to mark your fabric.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I use a scroll frame or a hoop. Hoop you can use any size really but I find it convenient to have a small, medium and large and just use the best fit for the project. I find the spring hoops better than anything else but you have to make sure you choose a brand that has no sharp edges or snags (it's really a trial and error thing but they are cheap so not a disaster if you get a bad one - 1-2-3 stitch seems to have good ones). It seems very little craftsmanship goes into a a lot of the hoops widely available as they have rough edges that snag fabric and threads. EZ frame have excellent hoops that use a screw tightener that actually have a little stand to rest on your lap (they fold down) and they are extremely gentle on fabric but also grip like a vice - but they are expensive. I had a project held tight in an EZ frame for over 6 months stored away (didn't know I was meant to take it out of the frame) and it left no damage on my work.

Scrolls are fabulous but getting one that is made well is quite difficult (I make my own these days). And loading your piece onto them takes time and means you aren't using for anything else.
Myst..
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

I use a scroll frame on my newly acquired Lowery stand, but am thinking of changing to a hoop or q snaps(still on the stand) because the frame is getting in my way when not in use.

I ALWAYS grid using thread for large pieces, even then I manage to make mistakes, and spend a lot of time counting. Without gridding you can go wrong quite spectacularly! Personally I think the boring evening spent doing the gridding (in hand, no need for a hoop) is undoubtedly time well spent. I'd rather spend an evening gridding, than one frogging!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I use a scroll frame now after having gone through several other options and not being happy with them. I make my own scroll rods using some wooden dowel rods from Home Depot. The only problem with scroll frames is it might be a bit big and bulky to hold without a stand.

As for gridding, I have tried both a white fabric pencil and a white Clover marker, and they both worked well. The lines do fade quickly, so it might be best to just grid a little bit of the design at a time. On lighter fabrics I would recommend the blue Clover marker. I started out using a fabric pencil but then found the lines were very difficult to wash out, despite it being a fabric pencil. :roll:
WIPs (in rotation):
Wolves--(23,226/118,400; 19.62%)
Disneyland Castle
Chaperon of Light--(15,539/200,000; 7.77%)
Hidden Spirits

UFOs:
Free Flight
Cat and Flowers
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I've tried a lap frame and a large scroll frame but I always come back to my beloved wooden hoop. I remove the hoop immediately when I finish stitching and I've never had any problems with marks or flattened stitches.

I can't bear gridding! I tried it once and hated it, so haven't used it since. I just stitch in 10x10 blocks using the parking method and that helps me keep count.

(By the way, if you find it difficult to see the holes in your navy blue aida, try putting a white pillowcase or similar behind it.)
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

marniecat

Post by marniecat »

Thank you all so much for your responses. I think I'm going to finish some scrapbooking, finish sorting my Dimensions kit, order some q snap frames and Clover pens, and finish a few smaller cross stitch patterns I've started before delving full-on into "Walking To Town".
I really appreciate all of your input, and I love seeing photos of all of your beautiful and inspiring work here on the message boards!!
Cumulus

Post by Cumulus »

I would grit first. It really helps me alot. When it comes to hoop or frame, I started using a hoop on my first big project - but when I had to move it I decided to go without and it works fine without any frame or hoop, my pulling to hard problem disappered at the same time.
WIPs:
Periodic table (own design, tea.soe-knudsen.dk)

WIPs - on hold:
motherhood - HAED
another HAED but a gift and therefore secret

UFOs:
Mabels SAL, song of the weather (Jan., Feb., Mar. and Apr. done)
Raine

Post by Raine »

I think I'm in a tiny minority -- I stitch in hand, that is, I don't use a hoop or frame or anything. I tried a hoop and scroll frame but didn't care for them. I'm not sure why not too many other people work this way because I love it. I must just be odd. :D Just thought I'd mention it to you though as another alternative.
My blog: http://ravelldsleave.blogspot.com/

Finished in 2014 ~
By The Bay Needleart 2012 Mystery SAL
We Love Dogs
Warm Winter Woolens
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I like the idea of stitching in hand but I'm worried that my tension will be inconsistent. How do you get round that?

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Raine

Post by Raine »

BizzieLizzie wrote:I like the idea of stitching in hand but I'm worried that my tension will be inconsistent. How do you get round that?
Well, I don't know. I just don't have a problem with tension. I'm sorry I can't answer the question. I feel like I have total control of the tension without the hoop, maybe more, because stitching on linen can be tricky as far as tension is concerned, and since it's right there in my hand, I feel I'm in total control. Sorry, wish I could explain it better.
My blog: http://ravelldsleave.blogspot.com/

Finished in 2014 ~
By The Bay Needleart 2012 Mystery SAL
We Love Dogs
Warm Winter Woolens
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Maybe I'll just try it with some scrap fabric and see how I get on.

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

katydid

Post by katydid »

I just finished two large projects 16" X 20" each. I never use a hoop or frame. I stitch in a sewing method as if you were sewing in the hem of a dress. I don't like the idea of clamping a hoop over my stitches either. Just keep you left hand first and second fingers under the fabric so you can feel that you haven't pulled the floss too tight. If you decide not to use a hoop or frame, here is a tip for you--

Before I start stitching any size project, I cut a strip of white cotton fabric the length of my project and about 6" wide. I fold it in half lengthwise and then in half again. Slip the left edge of your project into the fold and either baste it or safety pin it in place. This will keep your stitchery clean while you stitch. The oils from your hand can make marks on your fabric even though you've washed your hands before you started stitching. I once had that happen and never did get the mark completely out. The cotton also makes the fabric roll easily as you work so, you can get to the center of your project when you start stitching. Hope this helps! :wink:

I
KATE'S KROSS STITCH KREATIONS
http://kateskrossstitchkreations.ecrater.com/" target="_blank