Recycling UFOs

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

CayenneCat

Recycling UFOs

Post by CayenneCat »

I read an interesting stitching article with ideas on how to be more thrifty with a stitching hobby: http://www.stitchingthenightaway.com/36 ... -a-budget/" target="_blank

I decided I would take the advice of "recycling" UFOs (unfinished objects) and use the floss and fabric for designs that I want to kit up. However, I ended up struggling with trying to decide what was a UFO and what was a WIP (work in progress) that I still intend to stitch.

I was surprised that it was emotionally hard to "give up" on certain designs, and come to grips with the fact that my tastes have changed and that I would rather stitch other designs.

After much going back and forth as to whether a design was a UFO or not, I finally made my choices and started organizing the floss into floss-away bags and cataloging what the colors were. I did cheat a bit and put the fabric and pattern in a sheet protector just in case I change my mind and want to stitch that design again.

What happened next also surprised me - I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders when I realized I have a far more manageable number of kits left. I "recycled" 10, am keeping 5, and am still undecided about 5. Of course, with all of this floss and fabric leftover, I'm starting to think about what new designs I might want to kit up, but at least for the moment I'll enjoy this feeling.

Just thought you stitchers might understand what this experience has been like for me.
CayenneCat

WIP:
HAED: Fireside Fairytales, Shiver Meow Timbers
Chatelaines: Serengeti, Deep Blue Sea, Spring Raffle
calico

Re: Recycling UFOs

Post by calico »

Great idea and good for you for being proactive! It can be so mentally refreshing to organize, reuse/recycle and purge things that are building up in our lives!
Some useful reminders in that article about checking thrift stores for frames!
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

What a clever idea. I wind up giving my leftover kit floss (from finished projects) to my BFF's daughter whom I've been teaching to cross-stitch. This way it's not wasted and it saves her mom a little bit of money.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

CayenneCat wrote:it was emotionally hard to "give up" on certain designs.
I know that feeling well! When my Shakespeare Sampler went wrong I put it away in a drawer and started something else. I felt really guilty about it as though I'd fallen out with a loved one and wasn't talking to them anymore. I wonder sometimes if I'll ever fish it out and finish it, but I know I probably won't. It's been overtaken by a whole pile of HAED patterns that I'm desperate to start. I guess part of life (and stitching) is learning when to let go and move on.

Thanks for the article - there are some very good ideas there.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

I made a similar decision on Sunday. I looked through my kits, I rarely buy kits any more, and put aside the unopened ones I have had for ever. I donated them on Monday to the Cancer Research shop along with numerous DVD's and half a library of books :roll: Some people have a shoe collecting obsession, mine is books..even more than stash :shock: I will recycle one already started stitching project that I have"gone off" ages ago,but you are right CayennCat,the feeling is a good one,not least for me because I actually stuck to my plan and didn't waver. That being said,I had to take my stuff to the shop as soon as possible,or I might have rooted through the bags and taken a few books back out that I'll almost certainly not read again :? :lol:
:ratherbe:
:tea: :cake:
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I keep going backward and forwards over my Starry Night with Tardis - it rarely gets stitched on these days as I have other projects that capture my interest more. However I still really love the chart and the thought of having it up and framed on the wall - it is the only project I have that could be a UFO and it bugs me!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
CayenneCat

Post by CayenneCat »

BizzieLizzie wrote: I know that feeling well! When my Shakespeare Sampler went wrong I put it away in a drawer and started something else. I felt really guilty about it as though I'd fallen out with a loved one and wasn't talking to them anymore. I wonder sometimes if I'll ever fish it out and finish it, but I know I probably won't. It's been overtaken by a whole pile of HAED patterns that I'm desperate to start. I guess part of life (and stitching) is learning when to let go and move on.
Yes, it did feel like I'd fallen out with a loved one. And I think you're right that I'm learning to let go and move on.
CayenneCat

WIP:
CayenneCat

Post by CayenneCat »

meerkat - Good for you to donate all of that stuff! And I understand wanting to let go of them ASAP or you won't be able to - I've still got the five that I'm waffling on.

Mrs Milkybar Kid - That's tough - you still love the design, but love others more, and there's never enough time to stitch everything.
CayenneCat

WIP:
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

I have a UFO confession to make. I had a major UFO which shall remain nameless but I couldn't get on with it. I kept coming across it so one day I stuffed it in a carrier bag and took it to a charity shop. It has been a real relief to get it out of the house!
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

CayenneCat wrote:I was surprised that it was emotionally hard to "give up" on certain designs
Too recognisable! Yes, I feel bad about deciding that a project once started is simply never going to happen, but in the end it feels like such a relief when I do decide to take it out of its folder, put any salvageable fabric away and re-use the threads!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page