Pre-threading Needles

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

gardeninglady2012

Pre-threading Needles

Post by gardeninglady2012 »

Do most people pre-thread their needles? If so, what is the advantage to doing that?

Do you use multiple threaded needles at the same time on a project? I have read about this technique, but haven't actually seen someone use it. I saw a photo that had numerous threaded needles hanging off the design. I wondered how I would prevent the floss from getting all tangled without a lot of effort and attention?
MaggieM1750

Re: Pre-threading Needles

Post by MaggieM1750 »

If your thinking of pre-threading needles, Pako makes this productwhere you write the color number/ symbol on a removable insert for each needle. Someone on this board has made her own- with a piece of paper and foam. I think all the needle manufacturers sell in bulk

Or you could tuck your threaded needle back into a bobbin of thread.
Carole (RCPerryls) has her own system in a bobbin box.

I don't think I could leave needles threaded in my project. I know I would end up with a tangled mess.
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I don't pre-thread, but I do sometimes park my threads with the needles still on by sticking the needle into the fabric to hold it in place. It saves a bit of time when you have an area of confetti and keep having to change colour.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

amandadawn

Post by amandadawn »

I pre-thread for BAPs that involve blended threads (like those from Scarlet Quince). I just buy a piece of foam from the craft store and a little plastic box with a lid for it to go in. I write the symbols on the foam with a Sharpie and then put the pre-threaded needle into the foam next to the right symbol. I get needles in bulk on e-bay- I think I got 100 for about $15 with shipping last time.

The advantage for me is that I don't have to spend a bunch of stitching time blending threads or re-threading needles, which is great for confetti heavy projects.
WIP:
SQ Starry Night
SQ Rose centifolia anglica rubra
HAED Floral Filigree
HAED Ex Libris
ddevalco

Post by ddevalco »

amandadawn wrote:I pre-thread for BAPs that involve blended threads (like those from Scarlet Quince). I just buy a piece of foam from the craft store and a little plastic box with a lid for it to go in. I write the symbols on the foam with a Sharpie and then put the pre-threaded needle into the foam next to the right symbol. I get needles in bulk on e-bay- I think I got 100 for about $15 with shipping last time.

The advantage for me is that I don't have to spend a bunch of stitching time blending threads or re-threading needles, which is great for confetti heavy projects.
That's a really good idea since my issue with having lots of threaded needles is thinking they would end up all over the place and/or stolen by the cats. But foam in a plastic box sounds like it would solve that issue.
Current WIPs
HAED - Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
Bucilla - Honey Bee Happeing
Cross Stitch Collection - Garden Party
Teresa Gil - Edwardian Beauty Victoria
nivabef

Post by nivabef »

I don't pre-thread, but if I use a color and still have some length of thread on the needle, I do keep the needle threaded. I store them like this:
The issue I do have is that the holes in the paper start to get bigger and the needles get loose from the paper. When that happens I just make a new copy of the color key. I'm thinking about putting down a strip of fabric or tape on the paper to try to stop this.
-Liz

WIP
HAED Autumn Owl Trio
Pam and John (self-charted)
HAED Mini So Many Books So Little Time
Reta

Post by Reta »

I pre thread 6 needles at a time if there is a lot of the same colour Like in the "Tribal Owl i am doing
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I've been following this even though I don't pre-thread and never really felt the need to, but this:
Reta wrote:I pre thread 6 needles at a time if there is a lot of the same colour Like in the "Tribal Owl i am doing
is something that would save me a lot of time on the background of the wolf I'm doing!

I'm thinking I could pre-thread 6 strands of the four or so main colours and stick those needles through the hole in the bobbins to 'hang' the bobbins on the front of the fabric (I'm starting and finishing on the front for this one, so no flipping).

Thanks for the idea, Reta!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I use the pako needle organiser. It saves loads of time! :D
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Reta

Post by Reta »

I make my own thread holder cards out of cornflake packets and staple a piece of felt on the bottom for putting the needles in if there is enough thread left

similar idea as Nivabef does