Clover Blue Pen Yellowed

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Stitch

Clover Blue Pen Yellowed

Post by Stitch »

I use a Clover pen to grid my fabric. (This one.) I have used it before with no issues, but today I have come across what I really hope is not a disaster.

I have a piece of white Aida I've been working on. I haven't had time for a while now, and today I went to pack it away because I will be moving soon. Unfortunately, I discovered the blue lines from the marker have gone yellow. I looked online but I could not see anyone else who's had this problem. I tried rinsing it out with a bit of water, and even a tiny bit of Woolite in the corner, but the lines don't seem to be coming out.

If there is anyone else out there who's had this happen, please tell me you were able to remove the lines! It's not a huge project, so if I have to start over it would not be the end of the world, but obviously I would hope to avoid that. It looks like I'll need to be looking for another gridding method either way now. I no longer trust that marker. :roll:
WIPs (in rotation):
Wolves--(23,226/118,400; 19.62%)
Disneyland Castle
Chaperon of Light--(15,539/200,000; 7.77%)
Hidden Spirits

UFOs:
Free Flight
Cat and Flowers
rcperryls

Re: Clover Blue Pen Yellowed

Post by rcperryls »

Oh no :x that would would be very annoying. I use Mark-B-Gone marking pen which is also a blue washable ink marker. It does say to not use it on dry clean only fabrics and that some fiber contents, fabric finishes or dyes (red and pink in particular) might not be suitable for this pen. I never looked at the caution info before. I have never had it turn yellow. Did you try to contact Clover to see if they have a solution or explanation as to why this happened? I had thought of ordering some of theirs to see if the lines were any finer, but think i will stick with what is working for me right now.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
kinley626

Post by kinley626 »

I purchased that pen a few weeks ago. I've made a few tentative marks on my HAED; but now I'm a little worried. Is there a "wash out by" deadline on these pens?
Kinley Rose :rose:

WIP
Windswept (HAED)
French Country Kitchen Garden (Chatelaine)

A Place To Stitch
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I have used these for various purposes over the years, and never had a problem. In fact, on my HAED the grid lines are fading! Guess it's taking me too long to stitch.

However, have a look at this article by Mary Corbett and especially the comments following for information that may help you. Hope it all works out.
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I used the clover before no issues.....but t ran outbof ink too fast for me...i use mark br gone like reperryls. I didbhave one that I had to sort of soak
...more hand rinse....i just filled the tub with water and completly submerged it and slashed inbound. To get the smokers yellow off of my aunts
I soaked in oxyclean two times each time forever hours...hope this helps.
Totality

Post by Totality »

This looks a lot like the pen i used and i had the same problem. I was lucky in that i did not grid the whole area, and my designs used colours that could disguise it and the whole area was covered. I remember only gridding half my design because it did have a washout date (i think it was 6 weeks) So i washed it as instructed to and it left faint yellow lines =0/ I've given up on gridding by pen now, think I'll stick with a metallic thread that way if i do make a counting mistake its easily reversible. Fingers crossed you can get the lines out as, its so disheartening having done all that work
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Yeah unfortunately I gridded the entire fabric and it's not entirely covered. When I get a chance I will try to wash it properly and hopefully those lines will come out. If not it looks like I may be starting over. :(

In the past I have tried both metallic thread and washable pencil to grid my fabric, and both of them left stains as well, even after only being in place for roughly a week. I've heard no complains about this marker and it had been working well for me, so I was so disappointed to find this. I don't know what it is with me but I just don't seem to have good luck with gridding tools. I try not to leave it out in direct light, but even the portion of the fabric that was rolled up in my scroll frame yellowed.

I may experiment with the thread again using a different color and see how that turns out. I've heard good things about fishing line as well, but I don't think I could find one fine enough for my HAEDs.
WIPs (in rotation):
Wolves--(23,226/118,400; 19.62%)
Disneyland Castle
Chaperon of Light--(15,539/200,000; 7.77%)
Hidden Spirits

UFOs:
Free Flight
Cat and Flowers
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

fishing line comes pretty thin - like thinner than a strand of hair. I use one about the thickness of thin hair and I know it goes at least 4 levels thinner.
Myst..