Who are your favourite designers?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

nachosmiley

Who are your favourite designers?

Post by nachosmiley »

I was thinking about this a while ago and it would be interesting to know which designers are firm favourites with the 'hard core' stitching community, well not that I think 'hard core' is the best description but you know what I mean 'proper' stitchers with hoards of stash and an inherent NEED to stitch :lol: !

Mine are (in no particular order)

Nora Corbett
Martina Rosenberg (Chatelaine)
Joan Elliott
Teresa Wentzler (even though I haven't stitched one yet I love her designs)
Lesley Teare
Saifhon Borisuthipandit
Brooke Nolan
Mabel Figworthy
Trish Burr (have a book but haven't been brave enough to try needlepainting just yet)
Firewing Designs

I have probably missed loads off this list that I can't think of straight away...so apologies to all those talented designers whom I have missed.

I would be interested to hear who your faves are though...maybe it will open me up to some more stash acquisition......not that I need any.....but you know how it is! :lol:
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Fizzbw

Re: Who are your favourite designers?

Post by Fizzbw »

Joan Elliot my especial favourite, but I also like a lot of John Claytons work and Peter Underhill. Wee little stitches, Lizzie*Kate.

I have loads by Skitzzzzz and she's wonderful, and Mabel of course. I'm sure I could think of more but it's late!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
nasreen

Post by nasreen »

I have two designs by Barbara Baatz Hillman and I think her work is beautiful.
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Me... :D
Mr. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap.

Stop by my web site for free charts,
My Cross Stitch Stuff
Also;
Rick's Recipes for Singles
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

I stitch mainly:

Nora Corbett
Joan Elliott
Paula Vhann (sp?)
Barbara Batzz
Teresa Wentzler

And that's about it unless something really jumps out at me! Ill only buy a magazine if one of the above designers is in it and I can reason with myself lol.

Oh I love Nora and Joan though, I belong to their Facebook groups and both are very active in the groups, posting on people's projects and listening to what people want. Joan will help with conversions for her designs as well and Nora gives you teaser pictures for designs she is working on!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Teresa Wentzler was my first favorite designer and I have done several of hers and loved them. I did a lot of Paula Vaughn also and Barbara Baatz but except for these two I never thought about designers just subjects for afghans.

Now I have discovered among others these HAED designers: Rachel Anderson, Irena Garmashova, Sandra Kuck, Lesley Ivory, Randal Spangler, Matt Stewart and recently Anya Kai and Cynthia Schmidt.
Also Lizzie Kate for smaller patterns and absolutely Mabel Figworthy for beautiful Hardanger patterns.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Juut

Post by Juut »

my favorites are

LHN
Dimensions
Haed
Blackbird Design
Haandarbejdets Fremme (really like working with Blomstergarn)
Current Wip:
Cut Thru Stable - Bothy Threads
Autumn Fairy - Joan Elliott
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

One of my all time favourites would have to be Martina Rosenberg (Chatelaine)! Current other favourites include (but are not necessary limited to) the following:

The Primitive Hare
The Sampler Girl
The Drawn Thread
Joan Elliott
Lizzie*Kate
CCN
LHN
Just Nan
Ink Circles
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
thisisadiana

Post by thisisadiana »

Mrs Milkybar Kid wrote:One of my all time favourites would have to be Martina Rosenberg (Chatelaine)!
I just looked up this lady on your advice and her stuff is absolutely phenomenal! Where do you buy kits/charts from her? The only place I can find is the European cross stitch company, but their prices are insane (221 dollars????).

As for me, I don't have a favourite designer per say, but I do love so much of what the company Maia puts out.
Ravenfaerie

Post by Ravenfaerie »

Mine are

Nora Corbett
Joan Elliott
Passione Ricamo
and Gill Aldus of Dark Side of the Moon.
WIP

Pirate Queen
Mirabilia Trick or Treat Fairy
Passione Ricamo Morning Fae
Nora Corbett Water Lily Pixie

Winter Is coming....

My Blog - http://stitchystitches.blogspot.com/
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Mine is Skitzzzzz and HAED designer Randal Spangler :D
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

No favorites here. I just do what I like on the charts.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
Mrs Milkybar Kid

thisisadiana wrote:
Mrs Milkybar Kid wrote:One of my all time favourites would have to be Martina Rosenberg (Chatelaine)!
I just looked up this lady on your advice and her stuff is absolutely phenomenal! Where do you buy kits/charts from her? The only place I can find is the European cross stitch company, but their prices are insane (221 dollars????).

As for me, I don't have a favourite designer per say, but I do love so much of what the company Maia puts out.
The reason why the kit price is high is because the materials Martina chooses to use for her designs are mainly silks along with beads and crystals which up the price a lot! European Cross Stitch is the only place where you can buy Martina's charts as PDFs - or if it is a new design you can sign up for it at her site. As I am in the UK it is easier without the risk of customs charges, to buy materials for Chatelaines piece by piece - but if you are in the US, European Cross Stitch is the cheapest place to buy the materials if you can afford to part with the money all at once (you can purchase kits on layaway). Martina always offers a DMC conversion where she can for an alternative to expensive silks - or some stitchers do their own conversions using hand dyed cottons (threadworx, GASTs, WDW etc).
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Alice (Aury TM)

gparr

Post by gparr »

Amanda,
Is it safe to assume that Martina's kit threads/silks are top quality? I have my eye on a couple of her designs but am always leery of kits, fearing I'll end up stitching with cheap materials.
Gary
thisisadiana

Post by thisisadiana »

Mrs Milkybar Kid wrote:
thisisadiana wrote:

The reason why the kit price is high is because the materials Martina chooses to use for her designs are mainly silks along with beads and crystals which up the price a lot! European Cross Stitch is the only place where you can buy Martina's charts as PDFs - or if it is a new design you can sign up for it at her site. As I am in the UK it is easier without the risk of customs charges, to buy materials for Chatelaines piece by piece - but if you are in the US, European Cross Stitch is the cheapest place to buy the materials if you can afford to part with the money all at once (you can purchase kits on layaway). Martina always offers a DMC conversion where she can for an alternative to expensive silks - or some stitchers do their own conversions using hand dyed cottons (threadworx, GASTs, WDW etc).
Good to know there's an alternative,though I think I'd still be struggling just to buy myself the chart of the one I want (Baroque Gardens). One day, when I have lots of money....
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have no one designer that I go to on a regular basis like most things in my life I am very eclectic in my taste and since I stitch most things as a present all tastes are very different.

Now then if you ask what I like to stitch that would definitely be :snowman:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I'm kind of like Rose. My taste varies greatly (as it does with most things), and most of the things I'm stitching right now are gifts for other people.

I like working on a variety of styles, sizes, and types of stitching. Keeps me from getting bored with something.

And since I'm relatively new to stitching, I'm really just having fun right now discovering all of the designers out there and their styles.
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

I'm not picky if i like it I stitch it but I have become very fond of AAN designs. I have one or two here at the house that are on...my next to do list.
Mrs Milkybar Kid

gparr wrote:Amanda,
Is it safe to assume that Martina's kit threads/silks are top quality? I have my eye on a couple of her designs but am always leery of kits, fearing I'll end up stitching with cheap materials.
Gary
Sorry Gary I missed your question! Cindy at European Cross Stitch basically gathers the materials to make up the kits as per Martina's design materials lists - they don't include any DMCs required for the design, but will include the other speciality threads, beads and crystals which are from brands of the very highest quality such as Gloriana, Caron, Dinky Dye etc etc.
HTH
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Alice (Aury TM)

Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Graeme Ross
Indigo Rose
TW
Joan Elliot
P.Buckley Moss
Sampler Cove
Thea Duek
Faby Reilly
Needles Prayse
The Drawn Thread.

Re the Chatelaine designs.Martina uses the best silks-Gloriana.NPi etc.Thats why we need to mortgage the house :lol: to get the supplies.I think Vicky Clayton does conversions to her silks.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"