First BIG project - help please!!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

aussie_stitcher

First BIG project - help please!!

Post by aussie_stitcher »

So I just purchased the pattern for Peacock Feathers by Stitching Addiction (located on eBay), and it's HUGE compared to what I normally do. Not sure it's quite HAED sized but I've never done one of them either. The pattern is 224 stitches (w) by 270 stitches (h). I find myself needing some help starting out and I know my forum won't fail me! :wub:

Questions:

1. What kind of frame can I use for this projects? I've used hoops up till now, is it worth investing in some kind of frame if I'm going to be doing bigger projects? Suggestions for said frame? Or do I use my largest hoop and work on a bit of it at a time.

2. Fact checking: Big projects you should start from the top left hand corner and just go page by page, yes? I think I'd be way off if I tried to find the centre, that might throw me off completely if I spend a lot of time with Mr. :anotherfrog:

3. What is the parking technique and is it helpful for big projects? Looks like I'll be dealing with a lot of confetti, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
Emma

Cross stitch, a dog at my feet and a cup of tea makes a happy me. :)

WIP
Nerdy Dice Cross Stitch
Peacock Feathers

Completed 2013
King Charles Cavalier
Dachshund
Assorted Cards
Happy Hour
Bibs - 2
Eucalyptus Leaves Card (Scented)
amandadawn

Re: First BIG project - help please!!

Post by amandadawn »

Hi and congrats on your big project! BAPs are my favorites, even though I know they'll take me years. :D

1. I've got a huge Scarlet Quince and three HAEDs in my rotation, and I use either big Q-snaps or a big hoop. I've had a frame but just don't prefer it. So it's really based on your personal preference. You don't *need* a frame.

2. The manufacturers usually recommend that you start in the top left and go page by page, but not everyone does that. Some people start in the middle. Some people do individual rows at a time (especially those who park). Again, it's up to your personal preference- just make sure you measure before you start to ensure you have enough fabric.

3. Parking is a method of stitching one row at a time or one column at a time (as opposed to "cross-country", where you just follow a color until you're out of thread). There's a good tutorial here: http://www.scarletquince.com/parking.php" target="_blank

Hope that helps!
WIP:
SQ Starry Night
SQ Rose centifolia anglica rubra
HAED Floral Filigree
HAED Ex Libris
dknit

Post by dknit »

The largest project I have completed was 104 stitches by 140 and it took a while. I can't wait to see yours! While yours is large, I would think about it "just one stitch at a time" and approach it as you have for smaller projects. Unless you know you have plenty of fabric, I would go ahead and find center. I just recently purchased a stand and frame but it hasn't arrived yet. I have previously only used a spring tension hoop so I'm anxious to try a frame with stand. I plan on trying the Q snap frame with the grip it plus stand (found one on ebay) Check out the forum discussion here about frames and stands. I have always started at the bottom (which may be incorrect) but it works for me. Good luck! I have a large project planned too as soon as my stand arrives.... I may start on my old faithful hoop though if I grow too impatient! Good luck and keep us posted.
Donna
Rose

Post by Rose »

Everything is personal preference. If you have used a hoop and you are comfortable enough with it then continue if you think you would like to give a frame a try. I would say find a LNS and see if they will allow you to give it a go. They can be quite expensive and a real waste of money if you buy it and then find that you do not like the way you have to stitch with it (been there done that) I have a love affair with my q-snaps and I have many in different sizes so I mix and match to come up with the proper size for my projects. But other do not care for the bulk of the frame. We are all very different and unique.

You can start in the middle, in the top left, top right , top middle, bottom left, bottom right really again it is a personal preference and each person has a reason for starting in the place that they do. I normally always start in the center but some patterns I can not do that with so it is the top middle or top left.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror