Hello---total novice

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

guenever

Hello---total novice

Post by guenever »

greetings!

i am totally new to cross stitching. i literally bought my first counted cs kit last week. well, about 20 years ago i bought one but never finished it. it was counted--the picture was printed on. but i have been wanting to try counted cs for a while. i just went through a terrible, terrible divorce and so i am trying to figure out what my life looks like now. it's ironic. i don't sew! i can't even sew a button! but i have almost completed my first piece. i am totally addicted. i love it. it is like 'moving meditation' to use my mother's words. i have ordered some other kits and printed some free patterns off line. i am excited about this new hobby!

for about 8 years i 'dolled'. you can see what i mean at my website. http://www.freewebs.com/guenever/" target="_blank

i think those skills actually have helped me with my stitching because i am used to doing close work with pixels on a screen--so looking at pictures in a graph/square format makes sense to me. don't get me wrong! i have ripped out a lot of stitches and even began my first piece all over because i totally miscounted.

but i really enjoy it and i look forward to this new creative hobby and chatting with all of you.

right now i am trying to get in as much stitching as i can before i go back to school!
i am a 36 year old 11th and 12th grade english teacher (my 13th year this year) from rural new york state and i have a big house, lots of barbies (my passion), and my dear cat who is like my child.
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

Visit my site http://www.freewebs.com/guenever/

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
thegrindre

Re: Hello---total novice

Post by thegrindre »

I'm brand new to cs, too. Thot I'd take up another hobby in my retirement years.

You've come to the right place. These folks are about the most helpful and supportive I've ever met.

Welcome to CSF.
Mr. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap.

Stop by my web site for free charts,
My Cross Stitch Stuff
Also;
Rick's Recipes for Singles
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your stitching soon. Love browsing thru your website, it's full of wonderful information!! :D
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Mary Kay

Post by Mary Kay »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum! This is a great place to be, lots of wonderful stitchers here.
Blog

WIP - Magic Dragon (freebie chart)
WIP - Why Not!
WIP - A Whole Lotta Latte
WIP - Old Witch Mary
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! This is a great place to encourage, motivate and develop your new hobby. I just looked at your website as I had never heard of "dolling" and think your dolls are fantastic! I found it fascinating. I hope you will find cross stitching another wonderful way to help you through this stressful time in your life as it has for so many of us. I hope you will post pictures of your projects. We love pictures!

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

Hello & welcome to the forum. I hope you will enjoy it here. :wave:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

Welcome from Oregon!
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
guenever

Post by guenever »

somehow i double posted! so i am copying my thank you from the last post! sorry!

yes, the divorce was bad. the worst. my husband had a bi-polar psychotic break with reality. and i am paying him alimony. it ended me in the hospital with ulcerative colitis. i am still reeling. tomorrow would have been our ten year anniversary...but a new dawn, a new day as nina simone said.

thank you for the warm welcome! and thank you for looking at my website! and the compliments! oh! thank you for looking at my dolling--i am so flattered. there is actually a huge dolling community out there. i loved dolling--but i find stitching to be more tangible. and i can't smoke when i stitch! i don't even have the urge! i only smoke 5 a day--but when i write or doll i have to smoke. but not with stitching!

i just finished my first project. i will post a picture tomorrow.

again--thank you for all the encouragement! :P

does anyone know of a free cross stitch pattern program for macs? or how i can make my photoshop elements make cs patterns? i've looked on the web--but there is a lot of confusion out there!

thank you!

oh--and thegrindre! i adore your site! great patterns. i downloaded the moon and owl and the gingerbread house. i want to do that! but that program won't work for macs...
Last edited by guenever on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
calico

Post by calico »

:wave: Welcome to the forum!! Interesting hobby with the pixel dolls.....never heard of it before but I can see how it could be fun!

Can't wait to see your finished project and many more to come?

I have no advice for the software, sorry...
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

Hi and welcome to the forum from Vancouver Canada!
Great group of folks here, beginners, intermediate and advanced stitchers here to support each other in this great hobby.
Look forward to seeing pictures of your stitching.
Cheers :toast:
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Hello and welcome from Italy :wave:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

Thanks and have fun!
I don't know any program for Macs either. Sorry.
Mr. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap.

Stop by my web site for free charts,
My Cross Stitch Stuff
Also;
Rick's Recipes for Singles
guenever

Post by guenever »

double post! sorry!
Linnea

God Bless!

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
Louise1262

Post by Louise1262 »

Welcome from Ireland :wave:
You'll find lots of inspiration and encouragement here - very friendly people.

I use Cross Stitch Professional Platinum Plus by DP Software which I upgraded from their other versions. My system is Linux so use a similar thing to Parallels - my husband is the techie and set it up and it works perfectly.
Recently DP announced the launch of a version for the Mac and are looking for Beta testers.
http://www.dpsoftware.com/

On the home page on the right is a link "Mac users click here"

I have no connection to the company.
wtnlvr

Post by wtnlvr »

Welcome :wave: You will find lots of great info here. Sorry about your divorce. I am just starting the process after 24 years of marriage. Not fun that is for sure. Cross stitching really helps take your mind of things though. Be sure to look in the gallery section. You will see lots of beautiful work there.
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Welcome from the West of Scotland! :wave: You've come to the right place, I hope you'll agree, if counted stitching (or indeed almost any sort of stitching) interests you. We tend to be a friendly crowd, but terrible for enabling! :lol:

PS -- I can't "sew" either! It's on the list.
guenever

Post by guenever »

i am so thrilled about the diversity here! and wtnlvr---i am so sorry about your divorce. it is a horrible, horrible thing. today would have been ten years. i understand--but you will survive it and come out stronger. i couldn't even cook for myself before i filed for divorce.

i found a great program---macstitch! awesome!

Louise1262--Ireland, i've never been but what a glorious country.

Serinde--Scotland! next on my list. England is my heart home--especially glastonbury and avebury. i'm glad i'm not the only one who can't sew.

where do i post a picture of my first project?
Linnea

God Bless!

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Generally we post pictures in the Stitch-A-Long section. In the top left you will see a button which says New Topic. Click it and get started. This thread Posting Pictures in a Thread explains how to do it. Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
guenever

Post by guenever »

duh me! thank you!
Linnea

God Bless!

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy