My First Haed.

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

angie

My First Haed.

Post by angie »

Hi everyone, I have been so impressed with all your Haed projects I thought I would love to have a go, hence the photo following this. I would like some advice please, I am going to do it on 25ct magic count evenweave, and I am wondering if it is best to cross stitch it with 2 over 1 or to do tent stitch with 2 strands. Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by angie on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angie x
JazzeyBear

Re: Advise please on my first Haed.

Post by JazzeyBear »

It's really up to you and how you want to stitch it. I have several HAEDs on several different count fabrics with several combinations of thread usage. My favorite by far is 2 over 1 tent on 25 count fabric. Some find 2 over 1 full crosses to be too bulky, some like it just fine.

Testing what you want to do on some spare fabric is the only way you'll find what works best for you and what you like best.
An Angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. And whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth."

2013 Big WIPs
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED 2013 SAL Heather
Blessings
HAED Libra
Forest Chapel
fccs

Post by fccs »

I don't have an answer but every time I see this design it calls to me. So far I haven't answered it but I just love it. I hope you'll post progress updates on it.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

There are lots of Annya Kai fans on this forum including myself! Lovely to see you've been bitten by the HAED bug! Many stitchers before you have asked the same questions when starting a HAED, so you will find a great deal of information already on the forum if you do a search.

The best advice most stitchers will give you is what JazzeyBear said - test on various counts of fabric first with 2 strands full cross, 1 strand full cross and 2 strand tent stitch if you fancy it. There have been a lot of HAED stitchers that thought they would be alright stitching on a certain count of fabric but have stitched a few pages and ended up hating their work and starting again. Testing may sound tedious but it saves hassle and heartache in the long run!

It is all about what looks and works best for you- we all have different fabric and thread combos we like e.g for HAED QS I generally use 18ct aida 2 strands full cross as I like the finished design to be a bit bigger, but for my minis and future BAPS I use 28ct 2 over 1 tent stitch.

You may also find that your stitching methods change when stitching on a HAED - mine did, I was a cross country stitcher and now I'm a parker!

Another piece of good advice is to join the HAED Bulletin Board (if you go to the HAED store the link is on the left hand side under important links) - you have to apply to join (just to deter spammers and check that you are genuine!), but it too contains so much information, WIPs and advice.

But above all else enjoy your stitching and post lots of updates on here!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
angie

Post by angie »

Thank you for taking the time to help me, much appreciated, and yes I will do as you suggest, and look forward to posting my progress. I have to admit that I have been stitching for about 30 years and love it but since joining this forum recently I have learnt so much from reading all the posts, so thank you everyone. :applesauce:

Angie

Ps. I used to love visiting Cornwall, Amanda, brings back lots of lovely memories.
Angie x
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Amanda's advice is exactly what I would have suggested. Being one of those who stitched 6 1/2 pages of an HAED and then trashed it and started over. 2 over 1 full crosses on 25 ct became a nightmare for me when I moved from stitching the all black background to the confetti filled chain. I had tested before stitching, but only black stitches and no confetti. Make sure that you stitch not only blocks of color but several squares that are filled with confetti also. Mine was so thick I could not get a needle through the fabric. My favorite choice is now tent stitching on 28 ct fabric. I also have several that are 1 over 1 on 25 ct. Both provide me with good coverage, but tenting is so much faster that I have come to love it. I've tented on 25ct but didn't love that coverage. Each stitcher has to figure out what works best for them. I have an Anya Kai in my WIPs also. Giraffe Silhouette. And a growing number of her charts in my stash!
Looking forward to seeing what you choose and to your updates!

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
angie

Update on my first Haed.

Post by angie »

Thanks for the advice hence I have started doing my first Haed, THE OWL PARENTS. I just wanted to have something with lots of bright colours and completely different from my usual designs. I have decided to do this one on 25ct evenweave, 1over 1, as you suggested. I started it last week and this is my progress so far.

Angie x
Reta

Post by Reta »

Wow lovely colours and a good start :applesauce: :applesauce:
LastingAllure

Re: My First Haed.

Post by LastingAllure »

WOW! Amazing start so far! Looking awesome :) :dance:
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

I love those bright colors, and your stitching is beautiful :applesauce:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Brilliant progress, what amazing colours!!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:stars: :stars: :stars: Definitely WOW what amazing colours and aren't the owls cute too. You have made brilliant progress with it. Well Done. :stars: :stars: :stars:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
luvabubble

Post by luvabubble »

Amazing progress so far. Love the colours. Just beautiful.
My Blog: Pull The Other Thread

WIP:
In Rotation:
Majestic Peacock - Dimensions Gold
Autumn - HAED

Out of Rotation:
QS Clara - HAED
Elegance of The Orient-Dimensions Gold
Bridge of Wings - HAED

UFO
Too many
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful progress. The colors are brilliant and your stitching is perfect!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

Brilliant! Love the design and the colors...it looks like such fun to stitch. Now I want to do it even more...off to the HAED site... :-)

And your stitching is gorgeous!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
angie

Post by angie »

:D thank you for your lovely comments, really encouraging and it is fun to do with such bright colours, also love working with 25ct, 1 over 1. :dance:
Angie x
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

It's beautiful Angie, great job!
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
millymolly

Post by millymolly »

great start on a nice project! looking forward to seeing plenty colourful updates :D
Amanda =]

WIP
Cloudsfactory Epic Potter & Cut thru Pirate Ship
HAED Mini Awakening Spring Fairy
Shameful UFOs Thread here 3 of 25 finished
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

I love this pattern and have been eyeing it myself.

It is stitching up nicely and now I want it even more. :lol:
Borgessa

Post by Borgessa »

I love the bright colours myself and I like this design very much. I will never ever ever do a HAED design thou. I hate chopping and changing colours so often. The idea of confetti I find daunting lol.