Protective spray coating (acrylic? varnish?)

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kelly

Protective spray coating (acrylic? varnish?)

Post by kelly »

Hi there!

I would like to get some cross-stiches mounted in a 'gallery wrap' style.
(Which is where the canvas is stretched over a wooden frame & wraps around the frame.)

As this will leave the canvas & stitching open to collect dust, I feel I should apply a protective spray coating of some kind.
Preferable a matt finish, not glossy.

Do you have any advice on a particular type of spray I should get for this? I am concerned the wrong kind might yellow the canvas or threads.

Thanks for any suggestions! :-)
rcperryls

Re: Protective spray coating (acrylic? varnish?)

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello Kelly and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I can't answer your question because I don't know of anything that would do this for you. A varnish or acrylic spray sounds awfully dangerous on any kind of fabric. If there is something out there that would work, someone here will have an idea. Also would depend on the type of thread used for the stitching. I would think silks or any overdyed thread would be affected also. Is this for a piece that you stitched?

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

:faint: at thought of acrylic spray.

I think I'd approach this from a different angle. :D By all means gallery wrap your piece, but do it in a way that will allow you to undo it when it gets dirty or dusty for a quick wash. You can, very gently of course, dust your pieces, you know... 8) and they shouldn't get dirty unless they are handled a lot (never a good idea anyway) or they will be hung in a room with an open (especially coal) fire. Several of my pieces aren't behind glass, and they are just fine.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I am not going to do a gallery finish but I am going to mount a couple of pieces onto some cutout boards. I plan to paint the wood and then I will cover it with a finish. I then plan to attach the stitched piece with modge podge. Once that is dry I will cover the entire piece with another coat of finishing. I am not sure which one I will use, I have several in the house to choose from.

I am doing this as I hope that they will be used as door hanging, so they would be outside in the weather and will need some protection.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
fccs

Post by fccs »

Rose wrote:I am not going to do a gallery finish but I am going to mount a couple of pieces onto some cutout boards. I plan to paint the wood and then I will cover it with a finish. I then plan to attach the stitched piece with modge podge. Once that is dry I will cover the entire piece with another coat of finishing. I am not sure which one I will use, I have several in the house to choose from.

I am doing this as I hope that they will be used as door hanging, so they would be outside in the weather and will need some protection.
I'm way too chicken to even try that, but I hope you'll share pics of your finish.

For inside use, I would't worry about dust and dirt. Just about everything I do ends up framed under glass, but I would think that regular "dusting" should keep your pieces clean. I also like Serinde's idea of mounting the piece on your canvas so it can be removed if necessary for cleaning.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
ayna

Post by ayna »

I've stopped using glass when framing my pieces because I like to be able to see the texture of the stitching and felt that this was obscured by glass. I have a small hand held hoover which I had bought some time ago to keep my books (don't ask!) clean and now use that to remove dust from embroidery as well: no problems so far.
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

For regular dusting of pieces with beads you can put a panty hose over the nossel of the vacuum for a softer dusting. This also works if you're picking up spilt beads on the carpet or floor lol.

But for the most part, you're supposed to let the fabric breath. Any type of sealant won't be helpful for a long lasting heirloom piece and won't protect it more. I like the idea suggested above of making it easily removable for a quick washing if it is in a high traffic space and in an area with windows that are open often.

Also the way you finish your work varies greatly on the environment you live in. Some areas are more humid than others and collection of moisture can lead to mold and decaying of the fabric and threads. Some sealants don't dry completely and remain sticky to the touch too, so I would be worried about that.
kelly

Post by kelly »

Thank you all for the replies & advice.

I will leave it un-coated.
I'll try & post back with a photo when the finished item is on the wall :-)

All the best & thanks again for the valuable tips!