Straightening kinky thread?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

grooviness

Straightening kinky thread?

Post by grooviness »

Hi. I have some cotton floss made by Atalie and it's so kinked it's going to be a real chore to stitch with. What would be the best way to straighten it out? I've looked at the foam thread straighteners but those seem to be recommended for synthetic fibers. Should i dampen it and iron it? Use one of those conditioners like Thread Heaven? Althoug that doesn't mention using with cotton, either. Beeswax?
Rose

Re: Straightening kinky thread?

Post by Rose »

You could do either of the ideas that you made. Either give it a quick rinse in some warm water and let it hang dry or the thread heaven will work it is good on all threads.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Reta

Post by Reta »

Have you tried useing before straightning
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I use this method on all my floss, kinky or not:
http://www.scarletquince.com/dekinking.php" target="_blank
It's a homemade version of this:
http://www.sheenasgallery.com/The-Stripper_p_15919.html" target="_blank
Just before I thread the needle, I run the 'stripper' down the lenghth of floss to dampen it. Even if the floss isn't kinky, the "stripper" defuzzes it and I hardly ever get noose knots on the back anymore. I don't use Thread Heaven because I don't use anything on my fibers that isn't endorsed by a conservation or restoration group, but other folks use it and they swear by it.

WIP
grooviness

Post by grooviness »

Thanks for all the advice. I did try using it as is but after just a couple of stitches it was clear that it wasn't going to work. It wasn't just a kink in a few places, like it had been wound around a card, or something, it was every half inch. Kind of curly. I just spent over an hour separating it and ironing it since I don't have any velcro handy. It seems to have solved the problem. I have more of this stuff for some other projects and I hope it's not all like this but I expect it is. Velcro dots are on my shopping list.
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I use Thread Heaven as proscribed and that does the job.
Myst..